Reload this Page >

Lodges around Capitol Reef N.P?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 05:39 AM
Cecilia

I need some help and advice regarding lodging in and around Capitol Reef National Park. We will need somewhere to stay only for 1 night and we'd prefer it to be as close as possible to the park entrance.
Am I correct in assuming that there are no lodges in the park itself?

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 07:22 AM
Dayle

Hi Cecilia! No there are no lodges in Capital Reef, it's quite a remote area. There is a very nice & scenic campground and there are several very small towns nearby where you could find a motel. I have some friends who own one near the town of Loa. Very beautiful small farming town & true rural Utah. Capital Reef is great for hiking & photography but don 't expect a lot of "touristy" attractions. There are none. I'll do a little research for you on motels.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 08:24 AM
rqf

There are motels in Torrey, UT which is close to Capitol Reef. There is a Best Western, Holiday Inn Express, Days Inn and a Super 8. All have 800 numbers.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 12:46 PM
Clousie

We stayed in Torrey at Wonderland Inn. Huge room and not as "cold" as some chains can be. Great indoor pool and spa with nice views.

If you do stay in Torrey and want a special dinner, try Cafe Diablo. Food and presentation are wonderful. Best food we had in Utah!

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 12:55 PM
Bob Brown

The Wonderland Inn is above average.
I was there last May for the second time. It is not far to the park visitor center from the motel.
Be sure to talke the stroll along Grand Wash. It is flat, but beautiful. You are at the bottom of the canyon with those sandstone walls towering above you.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 03:18 PM
judith

i stayed at the chuck wagon lodge in downtown torrey, 1-800-863-3288. it is log-cabin style in a pretty grove of trees, also grocery, bakery and pool. torrey is a tiny and picturesque old mormon town. i liked the capitol reef restaurant with lots of fruits, veggies and fresh trout on the menu and a small bookstore. i also thought the grand wash walk was beautiful.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 03:18 AM
Cecilia

I've seen recommendations for a place called Skyridge Lodge. It is a bit more expensive than the other motels though. Has anyone stayed there. Is it worth the price ( $110-160 )?

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 03:56 AM
rqf

There is a place listed in the AAA tour book called the Sky Ridge - a Bed and Breakfast Inn. It received the highest AAA rating. Is it worth the extra dollars for an overnight stay with little time spent, other than sleeping, in the room? If I had plenty of dollars to spare - why not. If I were watching the budget - not likely. It is about 3 miles from the park. One of the closest places (1 mile) to the Park is the Best Western Capitol Reef Resort. Price is probably comparable to the Sky Ridge.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 05:05 AM
LJ

Hi Cecilia - My husband and I visited Capitol Reef this past October and spent 3 wonderful nights at the Lodge at Red River Ranch in Torrey. Check out their website at redriverranch.com. They were rated one of the 25 best lodges in the country by Travel & Leisure magazine, I believe. The staff was very helpful and their restaurant serves a great breakfast. It's probably about a 20 minute drive to Capitol Reef. I totally agree with the previous poster about Cafe Diablo. It's fine dining in a casual atmosphere at its best!