Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

llama trek in north carolina -- fun or folly?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 1998, 01:49 PM
david crochetiere

My wife and I (and kids aged 5 and 3) will
be in Washington D.C. in late august for a family reunion and I (its not my family) am trying to add something fun and unusual to the trip(OK her family is unusual but you know what i mean). I have heard about the Windsong B&B (now apparently called Windance ) in western north carolina which offers 2 or 3 day llama treks into the wilds (camping, but with meals provided etc.) We are regular campers and hikers (even the kids) so this sounds like fun. Has anyone ever done a trek with these people? Ever been to the Windsong? Ever trekked with a llama? Is this part of the world scenic? The closest I've been to a llama is watching Dr. Doolittle, so I need help! Thanks David.

Old Jun 2nd, 1998, 07:00 AM
Richard Graybill

David: We have not made a Llama Treck todate, but hope to this summer, haere is an address: English Mountain Llama Treks, 738 Engtlish Mt. Rd, Newpaort, TN 37821. I think they have a web site and e-mail, but I don't have their address. Do let me know what works out for you. The Llamas carry the groceries (no Riders) you must walk 4 miles or more.

Old Jun 9th, 1998, 06:03 AM
Gail Liberty

Hi,
We stayed at the Windsong in Apr., 1997 with our then 2 yr old and 4 1/2 yr. old. We stayed in the pond house (which is really a duplex - 2 houses in one) which is perfect for the family. The area is beautiful and the kids loved watching the llamas, cows, and family of foxes among other animals. We did a dinner trek with the llamas.
It was nice, but since it is rather hilly, mountainous area, we ended up carrying our 2yr. old most of the way. (She didn't take to one of those kiddy back carriers very well.) Our 4 1/2 year had a blast leading his llama and trying to keep up with the inn's dog. The llama's basically carried the gear for dinner and accompanied us on our hike. I understand the Windsong is under new ownership (they had just sold it when we were staying there.) I'm not sure I would have liked a 3 day trek with the llamas as I think we would have had to carry our 2 year old alot. The paths were rather steep! Nice place to stay though (off the beaten track) and would recommend to anyone.

Old Jun 11th, 1998, 06:37 AM
Avi

My husband and I stayed at Windsong on a Monday through Thursday night last April. The new owners have had the place for about a year. Because we were there on weekdays, pre-season, we were the only guests the first three nights. We were very pleased with our stay. The breakfasts were excellent (I don't believe breakfasts are included if you stay at the pond lodge), and we really loved the outdoor hot tub with mountain view. We would use it right before breakfast and it was a delightful experience. Our only frustration was in obtaining dinner after a day of sightseeing. The nearest towns are small and their restaurants do not stay open late (at least not off-season). Be aware that the Windsong rooms do not have telephones or television reception or cable. The rooms do have televisions with VCRs and there is a small library of videos at the inn.

The light, airy, rustic-contemporary feel of Windsong can be a relief after many stays at victorian-style bed and breakfasts. We stayed in the Alaska room which is on the lower floor and loved it. It doesn't have quite the spectacular view of the upstair rooms, but it is close to the hot tub. So is the Sante Fe room. I don't think all the indoor "tubs for two" are really tubs for two. For example, I think the tub in the Sante Fe room is larger than the tub in the Alaska room. And the indoor tubs are not jet tubs. But who cares - nothing beats the outdoor hot tub.

The lama treks were rained out during our stay, although the owners did take us to meet and feed the lamas on our last morning. The owners do not do the lama trek themselves. The woman who does their meal-time treks also does treks elsewhere. I don't know about 2-3 day treks. Be aware that the lama treks are at an additional charge.
www.bbonline.com/~bbonline/nc/windsong/

By the way, we went whitewater rafting on the Nantahala with the Nantahala Outdoor Center (NOC). We had never been rafting before, and we are a middle-aged, plump couple. The Nantahala trip is level II with two level III rapids. It is a good beginner trip. However, the NOC has other trips on more demanding rivers. The orientation given was excellent for beginners; and two of our guides were wilderness EMTs. The NOC has one shortcoming: I believe the NOC is one of the few rafting companies today that does not use self-bailing rafts.
www.nocweb.com

We DO NOT RECOMMEND the Greystone Inn at Lake Toxaway. It is a very expensive resort-style bed and breakfast that includes breakfast, dinner and "tea." It is VERY EXPENSIVE. The room and service were excellent, but at those high prices I also expected excellent food. The meals were fair and the afternoon tea was laughable. What really irked me was the high price they charged for an ordinary bag lunch. At their room rates, I thought the bag lunch should have been included or at least reasonably priced.

We spent a day touring the Biltmore, the largest private residence in the U.S. The Biltmore is in Asheville. Admission is very expensive, but if you like that sort of thing, the Biltmore is impressive. To get your money's worth, arrive when the Biltmore opens and plan to stay all day. We ate at one of the Biltmore's restaurants, the Bistro, and liked our meal very much.
www.biltmore.com