living in Sunriver OR?

Search

living in Sunriver OR?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 09:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
living in Sunriver OR?

We've rented vacation homes in Sunriver several times, and definitely enjoyed the place. I've been considering possibly buying a place there which would primarily be a rental for a few years and then possibly a retirement home.

The problem is, I can see potential conflicts; being retired someplace where neighboring houses are constantly packed to the gills with vacation renters and partiers could be a real pain.

I'm curious if folks here on Fodors have insight on what it's like to *live* in Sunriver, as opposed to vacationing there.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:10 PM

Hi curmudgeon, not my experience but I had very close friends that purchased a house in Sunriver with the idea that it would eventually be their retirement home. Long story short after several years they ended up selling it due to the concerns that you have expressed.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:47 PM

We stay a week in Sunriver in July - my sis has a home there too. They don't rent it out ever. I never noticed any places packed to the gills. I don't know if location makes any difference. The homes seem pretty far apart. This is adjacent to the Dechutes River. My sister says that other than a few weeks in the summer it's a pretty slow paced place. They've had their house for more than 15 years. I think you have to stay during several seasons before you decide if there are times you'd not be able to tolerate.
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 07:08 AM

We visit Sunriver several times a year, and have family that do own a home there as well as friends that do.

Several years ago we almost bought a home there looking forward to retirement. The only reason we didn't was because my DH was still in the military and we were afraid we would not stay in the PNW. Yes, we are kicking ourselves now over that decision of not buying.

Anyway, the homes have limits on how many people can stay in each one, so they are not packed to the gills. If a home can sleep 6 in beds, then 6 is the limit. They do not allow extra people, even children, to sleep on the floor. So this helps maintain a residential atmosphere. The police are also very good at making sure people keep the noise level down.

Our family and friends with homes there have never complained to us anyway.
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 11:21 AM

I've seen flyers and notieces at the grocery store and around the mall area regarding community events, yoga classes, etc. I have the feeling that there is an actual (but small) community of permanent residents there, so it's not all vacationers.
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. There seems to be some significant local residents population; there's an elementary school and all. I'm not sure if different areas of Sunriver have more or less rentals. If we get serious, we'll talk to some RE folks as well, but outside opinions are often helpfull.

Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 12:25 PM

The rentals are not in any one area, except the various condos. The area closer to the village is more dense, so of course more people in general. We prefer the north end as it is quieter but still has a store and a pool close by. Good idea to talk to a realtor. Also a good suggestion from Suzie to go visit during various seasons. We have been there at times where it felt like a ghost town. It was really nice, but so different from summer, lol!