Live in Las Vegas? Restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2005, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any restaurants away from the strip that we can check out while there in August? We enjoy nice food, at a reasonable price (think bistro - pan roasted sea bass w/ lobster risotto, or steak w/ port wine demi glaze and wasabi mashed potatoes), including Italian, sushi, New American, etc.

What about great casual places too - best pizza, burgers, sandwiches, etc.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks
We are early 40's, active, relatively hip; enjoy a good wine list; will not have a car; and are staying on the Strip.)
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 07:11 AM

Rosemary's. They have a half price wine deal on Sundays and have a very extensive list. You can check out their menu, sounds like what you describe.

http://www.rosemarysrestaurant.com/
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 02:40 PM

Actually I ate in several good restaurants there recently. Oh, wait a sec, I don't live in Vegas. Sorry.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 02:53 PM

There are TONS of good restaurants away from the Strip. Lots of chain restaurants as well, especially in the Summerlin area.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 04:05 PM

Summerlin will be a hefty cab fare from the strip, about $30-$35 each way. Tsunami in the Venetian is very good for Asian flare.

Piero's would be my main suggestion for eating "off strip", it's across from the convention center and LV Hilton. Excellent upscale Italian and everybody who's everybody has eaten there from celebs to pro sports coaches/players to presidents.

Ditto the comments on Rosemary's. But it will be a little pricey too with a cab.

Cili is located at the far south end of the strip with a south pacific type menu. Excellent food.

Then there's also the Pinot Brasserie (Venetian) that offers excellent seafood/steak at a $$$ price. For the types of meals you've mentioned it will be expensive.

Sorry I don't know about casual places off the strip.

The best sushi is at Nobu inside the Hard Rock.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 04:06 PM

BTW, if you're still interrested in Summerlin, let me know, I'll provide the names of reataurants if you want
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 05:06 PM

If you like Thai food, try Lotus of Siam.

http://www.saipinchutima.com/
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 07:08 PM

I totally 2nd ROSEMARY'S --it is a drive from the strip but WELL worth it..Prix Fix dinner- chef owned and operated...BEST food we have ever had for $35 pp -3 courses!! WORTH a cab ride!

Also DEFINITELY Lotus of SIAM- outstanding CHEAP thai food in a strip mall that looks seedy but is perfectly safe..If you wear more than jeans there, you are way over dressed..The food is to die for!! This place is right off the strip--sort of around the corner from the new Wynn hotel and down a couple of blocks...

WHY not rent a car? The taxi fares will KILL you--if there is tons of traffic, it sometimes runs $10 to go one block--there is a ton of construction and traffic is almost landlocked ...

Cars are CHEAP and all the hotels park your car for FREE...all you do is tip when it is delivered to you..or pick it up yourself in their self serve garage...

Think about it..it will save tons in the long run..BUT do NOT use Alamo- they are totally disorganized and toss about 50 passengers in with 2 rental agents and the line to get your car is longer than a line to get luggage...
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 07:19 AM

Didn't the original post say they were looking for something at a "reasonable price???" But I guess that can be open to interpretation. Lotus is Siam isn't bad, but it's not that cheap. It's OK. Nobu isn't cheap either.

I just assumed they would have a car since he/she was asking about places off the Strip. A drive to Summerlin isn't far at all.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 07:28 AM

Good point on the price, Jim. it's tough when people aren't specific about costs, but when the poster said they were looking for something like pan roasted sea bass with lobster risotto, you're not getting that "cheap" anywhere. I would consider "reasonable" to be $50pp with a glass of wine and dessert. That's just me. And yeah, if you get the tasting menu at Nobu, it starts around $100pp.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 07:32 AM

BigJim - The OP did say "reasonable price", though that's a very general statement. They did also say, though, "will not have a car; and are staying on the strip".
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 08:02 AM

I live in Las Vegas and driving from the strip to Summerlin is a 25 minute drive(where I also live). When my father stays at the Suncoast around the corner from my house, it costs between $30-$35 per trip. You also have to be careful because the taxi drivers will take advantage of a person not knowing the town, this last time my Dad had a fare of $37 one way from the Suncoast to Harrah's. I also wrote that the entrees the OP wrote will be hard to find at a "reasonable price".
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 08:04 AM

Sorry for the typo, I meant that the entrees the OP asked about will be hard to find at a "reasonable" price, but because there were no dollar amounts it is hard to know what reasonable is to him In general fine dining in Las Vegas is expensive.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all, for the info (except Black_Bart who appears to have adolescent issues to deal with!). Yes, "reasonable" is subjective but $50 - 100 for two is my thought for a nice dinner. $200- 250 seems to be overkill. Rosemary's seems like just the place and I will check out the others. Keep 'em coming! Any tried The Mesa Grill? Worth it? Thanks again.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 09:22 AM

Definitely add Mesa Grill to your list of targets. Very nice. I was surprised since the rest of Caesar's was not equally impressive. When it was originally built, yes.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 09:50 AM

You're right jlm_mi, my mistake!
In that case, with no car, Summerlin is probably out.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 04:41 PM

I think if you are considering getting in a cab to go off the strip towards Summerlin, you might as well rent a car for a day, it will save you money and many hotels have car rentals right on property. I highly recommend Ventano's, it is in Henderson not far from Green Valley Ranch (rent a car). It is GREAT with nice views of the Strip, especially at night. I-15 South, 215 East towards Henderson, exit Valle Verde, make a right, left on Horizon Ridge, left on Arroyo Grande on left. Great local Italian restaurant. If you rent a car you could go there for lunch and try something out in Summerlin for dinner, or other way. Someone mentioned Mesa Grill, I ate there in Feb. (it is not off the Strip..in CP) and I foing it very expensive for what it was...$160. for 2 (with drinks)..oh well, had to try Bobby Flays once right. Oh, also near Green Valley Ranch is The District with a lot of great restaurants...Lucille's BBQ, Kennedy's, Al's Garage. Enjoy yourselves!
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 04:43 PM

Should be I "found" it very expensive...what the heck happened there??
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 08:06 PM

Big Jim-

I have no idea what you consider inexpensive but 4 of us ate a TON of food- 2 appetizers, 4 entrees, and 2 desserts at Lotus of Siam...the total per couple was $40 plus tip..
To me,this was super reasonable for the quantity of food that we got and to beat, it was TERRIFIC...

It came highly recommended on chowhound.com and I actually printed items to order that someone recommended...Our friends from Wisconsin asked how we found out about the place since it is off the beaten path, was terrific and super cheap (in our book)...

KBec-
Seablue in the MGM Grand Food Court has Awesome seafood . Seems right up your alley price wise...be aware portions are HUGE--
Hubs and I shared a salad, shared an entree and shared a dessert--and we are BIG eaters...and we were full with what we got...Our other dining companions ( there were a total of 8 of us) all had their own entrees and desserts and they said they were overly stuffed and felt we did it the right way...but again, eating is subjective!! LOL!
Anyway, the setting is austere contemprary, no table cloths,fairly high prices ( in your ball park, KBec) and the food is TERRIFIC...
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 08:13 PM

KBec-

Forgot to tell you....Seablue is Casual- no need for coat or tie..

FORGET about Le Cirque--it was AWEFUL service and cost $250 per couple..
We had been a few years ago after it opened and it was terrific and went back this past Oct and it was AWEFUL-Our dining companions were really put out with the BAD service.Food had gone downhil...

If you want an authentic preview and real reviews and prices for Vegas, try going on a website called chowhound.com

Head to "cut to the chow " and clink on the map of the US--then click on Southwest and go to town with questions..

Have fun!! and Happy Eating!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -