Search

List for Cranky People

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2003, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
List for Cranky People

Better known as more Pet Peeves:
Eating in a lovely restaurant tonight, food is excellent. Person comes to the table while I am having a sip of wine and talking to my husband and asks me if I am
"Still working on that"....
Scarlett does not "work on" her food. Not in a $135 for two restaurant.
Keeping it to restaurants, what irks you?
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 07:26 PM

Okay, I have a full mouth of food and the server always asked how everything is.I can't remember a restaurant that doesn't happen at. Bugs the who know what out of me.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 07:51 PM

Hosts/hostesses, waitstaff, other patrons wearing enough "fragrance" to fill up all of outdoors!
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 07:58 PM

I hate it when the waiter comes over and refers to all of the diners as "You guys" and most of the table is female.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 08:14 PM

"You guys" is officially gender non-specific. It's the same as saying you all, y'all, or you folks. The popularity of each term varies from region to region.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 09:09 PM

Hi Scarlett! I hate when I am at the punch line of a joke, or at the most dramatic point of a story, and the waitperson chooses that exact moment to interrupt to ask if everything is ok, or are we ready for dessert.

And in the stupid nit-picking pet peeve department, I just HATE it when the server says "vinaigrette" with 4 syllables instead of 3. Must be my high school French rearing its pathetic head.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 10:28 PM

Marilyn,

Do you mean "vin-uh-gred-ee"?

Tell me it ain't so.

love
roxy
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 10:37 PM

How about when the wait staff says "Not a problem." to a request.

No, it shouldn't be a problem. It's your job.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 12:05 AM

roxy, the 4 syllable pronounciation I've encountered is vin-ai-ger-ette
ugh!
As an aside a colleague and I have a competition on tortured pronounciations encountered in the broadcast media, we call each other up and recite the pronounciation and the other one has to guess what the word is!
I'm with you on the middle of a mouthful interruption - it's amazing how this always happens. Maybe it's on purpose so that you can only nod and wave instead of give a proper response?
And Scarlett - you made me laugh out loud, traci also does not "work on" her food, thank you!
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 02:25 AM

I hate it when I give the waitress money to pay the bill and she says
"Do you want change?". If I didn't,
I would say "Keep the change".
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 03:18 AM

When the waitstaff repeatedly asks, "do WE need anything? Are WE finished?" If WE were all eating together, this person would not be our waitperson. As far as problems in life go, this still ranks fairly low so it doesn't really do me in.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 04:11 AM

Not exactly a pet peeve, but a gripe about a particular restaurant. A few years ago, an inexpensive family type place was advertising a free meal on your birthday if you bought another, so my son and I went for breakfast. I told the waitress it was my birthday and she just quipped, "Tell the cashier". They ran out of coffee, and when another diner asked about it she rudely said, "We're making it!" As soon as we got our food (which was average at best), the waitress literally slapped the check down on the table. When I went to pay the cashier, there was no greeting. I said it was my birthday and the only thing she said was "ID?" That was it. No "How was everything?", "Happy Birthday", "Have a nice day", nothing. They shouldn't even offer free meals if they're going to have that kind of attitude.
VERY RUDE.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 04:25 AM

I hate it when all but one diner has finished eating and they go ahead and clear the plates of everyone else. It's as if the last diner doesn't matter! Talk about pressure to finish it up!
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 04:28 AM

My all time biggest pet peeve is that many restaurants in other countries do not have non-smoking sections.

While eating at a very nice restaurant in Mexico in April, my steak Diane had just been finished, the waiter had just taken it off the fire and placed it on my plate, and I had cut the first bite and it was on its way to my mouth when the couple at the table DIRECTLY behind (and very close) to ours lit up simultaneously some stinky kind of French cigarettes and proceeded to chain-smoke throughout our entire meal.

Pet peeve number two would be people who take young children to fancy restaurants late in the evening when the poor kiddies should be in bed and punish the patrons with their bad judgement.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 04:30 AM

I hate it when ONE diner has finished and they clear his/her plate. What's the hurry?? Also don't like being referred to as "you guys" over and over again.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 04:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
this is for all of the food servers out there - after reading this post, i sympathize with you!
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Pet Peeve # 2-
How many times must one be asked if one wants " Pepper on that?"
I am still capable of asking or actually doing the pepper mill grinding myself!
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 04:44 AM

There are so many, I guess it is the inexperience of waitstaff, as the waiters of yesteryear, with grace and manners have all retired!
Removal of dinner dishes before all have finished is a big NO-NO, and very rude - I slways say something to the waiter as I am usually the first to finish eating. Also when the plates are removed and you are not done. Its unsettling to have to say something.
Removal of drinks before finished ...UHHH excuse me but that martini costs $12.00 and it looks like I have $4.00 left.
The waiter alwyas seems to hover and I find it very upsetting espically when you are engaged in a very important conversation, they always seem to interrupt. It stops the conversation in its tracks and I find it very rude. Their timing stinks! I guess its because they do not care.
But my biggest one is: When you frequent a restaurant and the wait staff/chef recognizes you as a regular and they all come over and do the stop and chat. They will interrupt the ordering, your dining whatever....UGGGHHH
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 04:49 AM

When I'm travelling alone and am dining at a nice restaurant, I really don't want to linger for an hour after my meal, sitting all by myself. And I can never seem to get their attention to ask for my bill. It's like I'm invisible. I DO like to linger, as much as the next person, when I'm with someone, but it drives me crazy sitting there on my own waiting and waiting for the bill.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 05:01 AM

One person's peeve is another person's pleasure! Scarlett - I LIKE when restaurants grind pepper for me, or when Italian restaurants come over with parmesan cheese and sprinkle it on for me with a spoon.

I think these are nice touches that add to the dining experience in nice restaurants.

Karen

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -