Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Limo at airport or any unique ideas you may have to surprise kids during trip to New York City.

Search

Limo at airport or any unique ideas you may have to surprise kids during trip to New York City.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2003, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking of being picked up at airport by Limo to surprise kids. Any one do this that would like to share their story? Or any other unique ideas you may have done for your kids while in NY. I know my kids will be overwhelmed just with NY itself and we will do all the usual site seeing, however, I am trying to come up with something fun to surprise them. Thank you !
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 10:00 AM
GOL

Limo’ are nice. Some things to consider:

Limo is nice to/from airport instead of parking or finding a ride. But I assume you mean on arrival in NYC.

If the plans are to surprise them after arriving, it may be hard. Limo drivers hold signs with last names by baggage claim. Your kids will need to look for their name.

A ride from the airport to the hotel would be just “ok”, but it really is the same as a taxi. The limo driver will most likely not carry their luggage, either.

One idea would be to hire a driver at their disposal for an afternoon / evening. Years ago I was treated to this gift. It was nice because I could get into the city and return home, drink if I wanted and enjoy the ‘special’ feeling. However, If your kids are already staying in the city in a hotel, the need for a limo may be minimal and/or unnecessary. Part of the experience is taking the subway, walking/people watching and flagging a cab. Perhaps making dinner reservations and paying for a nice meal would be better.

How about surprise show tickets? Or, just put a couple of hundred dollar bills in an envelope as mad money - to be opened upon check in at their hotel. Or, why not surprise them with an upgrade to their hotel, to a suite. Or, buy a couple of NYC travel books, map, cash and give it to them as for flight reading material.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 10:21 AM

A stretch limo is a really good idea to start off your kids' trip to NY. I called one limo service who does help with the luggage. There are many but here's the one I called:
Lincoln Limousine Service
(212) 666-5050 or 1-800-728-2838
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 10:30 AM

I agree with the limo ride from the airport. but it would be better to have the limo at your disposal for the entire day. they drop you off in front of your restaurant, shopping, theater....no parking hassles, and it really makes that person feel special.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 10:34 AM

how old are the kids?
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, I didn't explain very well. We are taking a family trip to New York this summer for the first time. We are very excited ! The kids are 13 and 14. I'm a single Mom. Wanted to do something fun that they won't expect. Any thoughts would be appreciated !!!!
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 10:52 AM

Too bad you can't take a hydrofoil up the East River...

A limo is cool but if I was kid, I would probably be stoked to ride in a Hummer. I just found this site through Yahoo. Don't know anything about it but it's an idea.

http://www.bnm.com/village.htm
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 10:55 AM

The limo from the airport is a great idea at that age... once i hit my 20's i no longer had interest in "standing out from the crowd" and didn't appriciate it when i was picked up by limo, but at 13 or 14 i would've liked it very much.

Other ideas of things to do, but not necessarily a "surprise":
-top of Empire State Building
-walk across Brooklyn Bridge (eat lunch/dinner at Grimaldi's Pizza afterwards, and dessert at Ice Cream Factory by the promenage)
-tix to Blue Man Group (or Stomp if budget is more of an issue)

Have a good time w/ your kids!
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 11:08 AM

Here's another fun idea, there is a water taxi to Manhattan from LaGuardia, and you can take a taxi from there to your hotel. That way the kids get an amazing view of the city, from the start, and it will be something they will remember always.

You should probably get a guide book about the city and ask the kids to read through it so you know what they would like to see.

I would suggest a trip to the theatre, (buy tickets at TKTS booth at the S. St. Seaport, half price there), tour the seaport area, see the World Trade Center site (gee wish we had a better "name" for it now, not quite a cemetery and not quite a memorial site,
but actually both. The kids will get a better understanding of what happened.

Also take the Staten Island Ferry at dusk so you see the sun set and the lights come up on the city on the way back, breathtaking.

There is a wonderful museum in New Jersey the Liberty Science Center, and there is a water taxi over from the World Financial area.

You also might think about the beach since you will be here during the summer, and a trip to Jones Beach or Fire Island (to the Sunken Forest) might be alot of fun. The Long Island Railroad has an excursion program and you get train fare, taxi and ferry ride rt for I think $18pp. The Sunken Forest is fun, a mile or so walk around a forest area on the island, and it is between dunes, that's why it is called the Sunken Forest. We saw lots of deer, a fox, lots of birds and hundreds of horseshoe crabs. There is even a Ranger station on island to learn more about the island and the surrounding ocean.

Hope this helps, have a great time while you are here.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 11:19 AM

Unless you are taking a short flight with not much luggage, the limo seems to be the best way for all of you to get to your hotel luxuriously from the airport.
I think the kids will love it!
Get tickets to see Stomp. You will all love it. Great for all kids and kids at heart.
One night before returning to the hotel, go to Serendipity and the three of you share a Frozen Hot Chocolate or a Hot Fudge Sundae (the FHC is the best though)
They might get a kick out of a twilight ride through the park in a horse and carriage. Not just for romance, it is a great way to see the city and park with the lights going on.
Go ice-skating at Wolman Rink or Rock Center.
Go to the Intrepid and do the whole thing, then next door is the Circle Line where you can sit and view NYC from the River.
Have dinner one night in Chinatown then walk all around and go in and out of all the import shops, buy wacky souvenirs
Don't forget to go to the Natural History Museum and to the Rose Planetarium. If you go on a Sunday, there is a flea market on Columbus a couple of blocks away.
Have fun!!

Old Jan 29th, 2003, 11:35 AM

don't forget the Yankees, take them to a game in Yankee stadium, they won't forget that either, and I take back my limo suggestion and I say go with the Hummer.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 11:41 AM
GOL

I second everything Scarlet says. Carriage ride, Intrepred, Circle Line, Musuems, etc..

Kids want a little “brag factor” with their peers when they return home. Make sure you do the typically touristy stuff, as mentioned. Statue of Liberty; Empire State Building. Broadway show. Times Square, Subway ride, cab ride, etc..

Why not be one of the Today Show a.m. street crowd? Posters and all! Gee mom, I’m on TV!

Also check out the arcade on the 3rd floor of ESPN Zone in Times Square. Fun way to kill an hour or less.

If they are into baseball, how about Yankee tickets? That would be a surprise!
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank you !!! These are such great ideas ! A few more questions, don't go away you guys !

1. A Hummer, do you mean rent a hummer and drive it MYSELF in NY ????? or am I getting a good looking driver to go along with it ? LOL
2. The Today Show - how do I find out where to go, what to do and all that good stuff?
3. Yankee's great idea ! How do I get tickets? I thought they were sold out. Can you believe they are playing my hometown (Cleveland) on a few of the days we will be there, but the game is in Cleveland ! Darn
4. Do you think they would like the Marriott Marquis?
5. You suggested Blue Man Group or Stomp. Would you recommend these over Hairspray or Modern Millie?

Again, thanks for all the great responses !!!!
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 12:16 PM

MY list:
1. The stretch limo's a great idea.
2. The Planetarium Show at the American Museum of Natural History.
3. A ride on the Staten Island Ferry.
4. A visit to the Intrepid aircraft carrier.
5. A Yankee or Mets baseball game. (Both are easy to get to by subway.)
6. Go to the top of the Empire State Building.
7. Visit FAO Schwarz on Fifth Avenue and Toys 'R Us in Times Square.
8. See the lights in Times Square at night.
That's a good start!
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 12:17 PM
GOL

Info on the Today Show at

http://www.nycvisit.com/content/index.cfm?pagePkey=376

as well as other live tapings (which you should check to see if <18 can attend)

WEll, if the Yankees are away, then that means the Mets are home. But the Mets may be a little like second fiddle.

They will LOVE LOVE LOVE the Marquis. Can you adopt me?
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 12:24 PM
Tess

What a nice Mom you are! Definitely go with the limo from the airport to your hotel. We did that with our kids during their first (and so far, only) trip to NYC. They were commenting on the limo drivers holding signs up and about came unglued when they saw a driver with OUR name! They still talk about the limo ride. Really a fun way to start the trip. We also took them to see Blue Man Group--younger teens especially will think it's totally totally cool. You can make reservations for the front 8 rows if you're brave--the ushers hand out ponchos to those rows on arrival because 'things' tend to fly out into the audience! I don't know where you're staying, but the John's Pizza near Times Square is a fun, relatively inexpensive place to eat.

Old Jan 29th, 2003, 12:33 PM

I'm a bit out of the loop as far as MTV goes - but don't they have a studio on Times Square? I have a vauge thought that Total Request Live or something is taped there and crowds gather below??? Teens may be more interested in this than in Good Morning America or the Today Show. MTV has a website where more information should theoretically be available.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 12:46 PM

the hummer will be the same as renting a limo, it will come with a driver. (I've seen stretch hummers, stretch navigators, stretch landcruisers) the kids will not forget that, especially when it drops them off at yankee stadium. goto Ticketmaster.com, if you buy now, you should be able to get tickets for any series this year (except the mets/yankees series).
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 01:56 PM

My opinion here Hairspray would be more fun than Modern Millie, Stomp would be more fun than Millie. So it if you can't get tickets to Hairspray,see Stomp!
I think the Starlight Diner has singing waiters? That might be fun for the kids
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 04:10 PM
SR

What about the fireworks? We will be there over the 4th of July. Can we walk and what is the best location?

Can anyone describe the Marriott Marquis to me? I hear it is overwhelming. What's it all about? Am I crazy for wanting to stay there? Personally, I would stay closer to the Park, but I think the kids might like the Marquis and Times Square.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -