Lexington Candy SHop

Search

Lexington Candy SHop

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2016, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lexington Candy SHop

I would give it a zero, but that would be misleading. We have eaten here before and thought the atmosphere would enough to compensate for the food but we were wrong. The roast beef must have been from the V-[J Day celebration. They served french fries directly out of plastic bags, but that is no excuse not to cook them and the plate of onion rings reminded me of the old joke, "Not only were they awful, but the portion was small." They stuck together in soggy lumps and were difficult to peel apart and did even cover the small plate. I think they were $5.95. A SIL had a burger, which looked and tasted like one of those discs who used to operate those old machines in Coney Island.

It was the most complacent and dismissive meal I have had in NYC in a long time and I grew up here. You know the old saying, you can't eat atmosphere, well that would have been better, especially if you like peeling paint.
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 07:48 AM

I think the standards are definitely slipping. I haven't had lunch there for ages, but I had breakfast there a few weeks ago, and it was just ok. It's also pretty expensive for what you get, especially since they don't even include home fries or french fries with eggs and bacon in the morning. Prices are comparable to a very expensive diner, so I agree you can always do better.

I do still love the milkshakes, though.
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 08:03 AM

I gave up several years ago after lackluster egg salad on dry bread.
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 10:18 AM

Was this review written for those who already know the place? I wouldn't even know where to look for this place to avoid it. Post is tagged New York, as in state. Only toward the end is NYC mentioned. So somewhere in all the boroughs is some storefront which serves, according to the OP, food that isn't very good. Thanks for the meaningful post.
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 10:37 AM

Well, this is a rather famous Upper East Side NYC institution and a particularly popular tourist spot for those going to the Frick or the Metropolitan Museum of Art (one that is sitting on its laurels). It's widely mentioned in posts, and most guidebooks recommend it, including this site.
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Sometimes I wonder why any of us do this at all.

It is located at 1229 Lexington Ave, on the southwest corner of 83rd Street, in Manhattan, Country of New York, State of NY. The door pulls out.

You do not have to hurry as it open until 7 PM.
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 08:17 PM

>>Was this review written for those who already know the place? I wouldn't even know where to look for this place to avoid it.
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 06:00 AM

Google may indeed be my friend, but as a resident of a major city within a few hours train/bus/drive of NYC, who has visited maybe a couple of times a year over a lifetime, mostly for specific museum shows or theater, but not for any specific foodie experience, I have never read a guidebook nor heard of this place until now. With no introduction to the review in the post, I didn't know it was some special place enshrined in NYC lore (and doubt I am the only one), nor do I necessarily credit that the world revolves around that city's eating places. IMD, does the phrase "preaching to the choir" have any resonance for you?
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

95% of the postings here deal with NYC and the time to write and inquire where this place may be, would take more time and effort, than satisfying your curiosity by typing three words into a google search box. If there were many results, I could understand your consternation. As I googled it, there was one, none of which were in Rochester, Watertown or Water Mill.

And I am not being snide or obtuse when I write that the term "preaching to the choir" does not have any resonance to me in this particular instance.
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 08:02 AM

Face it IMD someone here doesn't like your kind. It's really rather pathetic and embarrassing for them.

I've never been to the above mentioned dining establishment, but surely appreciate the heads up by you and others that it may not be the place to stop if I recognized the sign.
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 08:31 AM

What's pathetic and embarrassing is that certain residents of NYC apparently think the world revolves around their city. This place doesn't make any online national list of soda fountains, or even of NYC notable restaurants, on a Google search. Maybe it's on the same list of US must-sees for Europeans that includes driving Route 66? All I would have liked to see is a better introduction telling the rest of the world why we should care, or even give the post reading time, not a bunch of assumptions.
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 08:49 AM

You clearly have a personal agenda regarding this topic? Why pray tell does this thread bring you such negative passion? I found it basic and helpful. From what you have posted, you clearly do not like and have a personal vendetta against certain posters from NYC. WHY?
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 08:50 AM

IMD is a toxic presence on this board who attempts to obscure his toxicity with irrelevant posts about places and events within a ten block radius of where he lives. Imagine if he lived in Buford, Wyoming. Would he still cut and paste his list of restaurants he has visited in the last ten years? Probably. This is a person for whom being banned from the Lounge was a Significant Emotional Event.

He stalks me tirelessly on every board on which I post, and I am officially over it. If Fodor's won't do something about it, I reckon turnabout is fair play.

Hi, IMD. I am so pleased to scratch this restaurant off my list. Thank you so very much. Where are you eating lunch today?
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 08:56 AM

Well I imagine if I were visiting Buford, Wyoming, I would welcome his first hand knowledge just I would his dining knowledge in NYC. I see no difference other then a few of you have a very personal grudge towards this poster. I don't find many posts on fodor's 'irrelevant" Who are you to judge which posts are relevant?
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 09:11 AM

I don't judge, I comment, same as you. I don't need you to agree with me, Inaka, nor do I expect anyone else to have noticed the way he refers to me by name, repeatedly, in threads I am not even participating in. I have no idea why he began doing this. But I am not going to let him pretend to be a good citizen here when he is clearly not. He was banned multiple times for this behavior in the past.
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 10:16 AM

Understand that I clicked on the US forum, and then on a recent entry that seemed of interest, tagged New York state. I then got a restaurant review for a place that included no introduction. And on posting, a comment that "95% of the postings here deal with NYC". Really? "Here" on the US forum that I entered? How many restaurants might we be talking about? A personal vendetta? Boy, you guys really do think the world revolves around you and your limited Manhattan perspective.
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

SambaCHula

The US forum has various states I think there are 50 plus DC. You can google that.

The category is clearly TAGGED New York at the top. And 95% of the entries are about NYC.

So now you are blaming me, for your inability to both read, google, and your insecurity about NY'ers.

This is my last entry on this matter.
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 02:24 PM

>>Would he still cut and paste his list of restaurants he has visited in the last ten years?
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 02:33 PM

Who are "you guys"?
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 02:53 PM

The world DOES "revolve around our city." -

(Whoops… forgot to say I live in NY, NY.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -