Reload this Page >

Lesson learned...using hotwire for a rental car

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2002, 01:12 PM
XXXXX

This was my first hotwire purchase...just thought I'd share... I rented a mid size car through hotwire under my name with my credit card. When I got to the AVIS desk I tried to pick up my car...but I didn't have the credit card with me. I know...it was stupid of me not to bring it. My husband and I share the same CC account so I didn't even think about bringing it (he usually pays for everything when we're together). The sales agent would absolutely, in no way let me pick up the car. Luckily, after I spoke to the manager and had him call the cc company to verify we indeed shared the same account, I was given the keys.
So...REMEMBER to bring a Credit Card in YOUR NAME when renting. I think the same goes for hotels, but I'm not sure.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 01:17 PM
Dumb Ass

Duh.

Duh.

Jeses H Christ - Duh.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 01:20 PM
Cass

Pretty chilling xxxx thanks for your travel tales. A good reminder for us all.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 01:26 PM
x

Cass was that sarcasm? If not, it should have been.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 01:29 PM
Mary

This is a serious problem. I have heard that if you make an airline reservation and don't bring a drivers license, they won't let you on the plane. I don't want to drive, that's why I'm flying Duh. Do you believe this!!

Old May 22nd, 2002, 01:31 PM
Rick

Mary I don't have a driver's license I always take my passport. Thanks for the heads up xxx always good to know. If you have several cards I could see leaving one at home.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 01:39 PM
kwl

This goes as well for airline tickets - they will regularly ask for the credit card used to purchase the ticket (at least on United). I usually buy all tix. for my husband so that I get the Amex points, and he had a hassle at the airport for a trip he was going on with a friend. Luckily he was able to convince them his wife had purchased the ticket, and they let him on the plane. So lesson learned.... I can no longer purchase tickets for him.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 01:59 PM
joan

To the original poster: Did you not have ANY credit cards with you? Or just not the one the car was booked with?

To kwl: Although I don't fly United, I have never heard of an airline asking for a credit card before! They don't seem to care where I purchased the ticket, as long as they have the res and I have ID. What reason would the airline have for asking to see a credit card? I can understand the car rental, as they have to be able to charge damages or upgrades, but the airline tix are already paid for when you take the flight...

Old May 22nd, 2002, 02:16 PM
Susan

Joan, if you are flying ticketless the airline will require you to show the credit card you used to purchase the ticket, in addition to ID. Well, Southwest says they want to see the credit card, I ran out of my house one morning and ran back because I remembered I needed that particular card, and they didn't ask for it. But, better to be safe than sorry.

And Joan, you need to have THE credit card you used when booking rental cars through hotwire, not just any credit card.

Some of us probably clean out our wallets of cards and things we won't need before taking a trip, lessening the hassle in the event your wallet is stolen. Good reminder to keep the card with which you've booked cars, etc.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 02:25 PM
Les

When my son was going to college in Boston, I used to purchase e-tickets over the phone for him to come home on vacation. The airlines (usually United or Frontier) always said that the credit card used to purchase the tickets needed to be presented at check-in. I pointed out that since my son was in Boston, and I was in Denver, that was impossible. In that case, the airline would make a note on the record that the original purchaser (me), at the time of purchase, specified that the passenger would not have the credit card. My son never need more than his driver's license (or other photo ID) to board the plane.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 02:29 PM
ssss

Just had a thought I purchased ticket for family member who will be meeting her in SFO. Do you think she will have trouble gettin on without my credit card details.

Thanks for your post xxx will call to check a head of time.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 02:46 PM
sss

Just called explained the situation airline attendant was still confused at why they would not have credit card with them. Had to explain a second time that I would be meeting them I bought ticket with my card. YIKES YIKES YIKES. They marked my records thanks again xxx and Les

Old May 22nd, 2002, 05:25 PM
Statia

Not that it's nearly as important as airfare and rental cars, but the same goes for concert, theatre tickets and the likes. I almost lost my "Chicago" tickets on Broadway in NYC recently because they were paid for with a different credit card than the one I brought with me.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 05:46 PM
aaa

As far as I know, demanding the credit card when something has already been paid for (i.e. NOT just a card pre-authorized but PAID for) is against merchant regulations and probably illegal. Asking for legitimate ID is one thing, but demanding the exact same credit card is another. What if my CC was stolen and I had to get a new one reissued?

Old May 22nd, 2002, 05:57 PM
Anthony

AAA is right : Airlines, car rentals and hotel reservations made through either Priceline or Hotwire does NOT require the same credit card that was used to make the purchased; however, a credit card in the NAME of the reservation IS required -This IS the Policy, the reason being that with either service, anyone can make travel plans for ANOTHER person, but YOU pay for it through your Credit card. In other words, you can put you wife's name as the person flying, driving,or renting the hotel rm, but YOU are paying for it. Therefore, they CANNOT makeyou produce the same CC used to purchase. It's all right on their respective websites.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 06:09 PM
aaa

After all, it's not at all unusual for someone to book a travel related expense MONTHS ahead of time. What if during that time I had to change credit card numbers? I personally will change my Credit Card number every few months because I do a lot of internet purchasing and do not want any fraudulent "gotchas" that happen due to poor merchant security. Will the rental company agent deny me & give me the look of a criminal because my card numbers don't match? What if I CLOSED my credit card account since I booked the trip; I can't even dispute the charge if the rental company won't honor it -- THIS IS ILLEGAL!

Old May 28th, 2002, 07:13 AM
funnybone

you could have just gone out to the parking lot and hotwired the car and drove off...ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha