Less commercial beach?

Search

Less commercial beach?

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2013, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Less commercial beach?

Hello. We are going to be in North Carolina in July. We are looking for a less crowded less commercial beach. In the past we have LOVED Oak Island, really enjoyed the Outer Banks (in September!), and not cared as much for Atlantic Beach. Our kids like the activities and action they think they will find in Myrtle Beach--I dread it. Is there a beach we can use as a compromise? I had considered Holden Beach and driving to the Myrtle Beach area or Litchfield Beach. Has anyone been here? Are there other suggestions? We prefer to rent a house versus a condo but we are most concerned about not being at Gatlinburg on the beach. Thanks.
Old May 25th, 2013, 10:38 AM

We have been to Litchfield several times and do like it. It is much more laid back than Myrtle.
Old May 25th, 2013, 11:43 AM

Where in NC? You could look at Wrightsville Beach, Holden Beach, or Ocean Isle. You might also want to consider Isle of Palms, SC.

Myrtle IS Gatlinburg on the beach. You are the parent and you're paying for the vacay. Tell the kids to roll with it (therapist rant over )
Old May 25th, 2013, 01:00 PM

suewoo, I like you more and more every time I read something from you!
Old May 25th, 2013, 01:04 PM

Aw, Miss willowjane, thank you. You are a sweetie pie.
Old May 25th, 2013, 04:01 PM

Are you looking for a NC or SC beach? If you loved Oak Island, why not go back there? Holden is nice, a tiny bit more commercial than Oak Island. Ocean Isle is overbuilt for my taste (I used to go there as a kid).

If you're really thinking about SC, consider Pawley's Island or maybe even Edisto if you really want off the beaten path.
Old May 25th, 2013, 08:22 PM

I have a friend who frequently goes to North Myrtle Beach, SC, as that is far less commercial than Myrtle Beach itself.
Old May 26th, 2013, 04:36 AM

NMB is still pretty much what Sue described! LOVE it.
Rent at Litchfield by the Sea. The beach is quite uncrowded even on holidays (I am always amazed when we are there on the 4th). Everything your kids want is close==even Surfside will supply the miniature golf. The food is the best on the coast.

I agree with Brian about Ocean Isle being overbuilt but the beach itself still has only the tiny square for the arcade, pier, a grocery store, rentals for kayaks, etc. So that is near for convenience if wanted. We rented oceanfront several years ago when our Litchfield condo was being repaired and had a good time. We used to also go there when our kids were young and it was VERY small.
Pawley's Island (itself) would really be what you want, but I imagine rentals at the last minute are difficult, but who knows.
Old May 26th, 2013, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Gretchen and Brian. I will look into Pawley's, Ocean Isle and Litchfield.
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Update: We chose Ocean Isle Beach and stayed in the Ocean Isle Beach Club. It was a beautiful completely non-commercialized beach. As Gretchen said there are no fast food places; only a small place to rent stuff and buy T shirts. Friendly people, nice place to stay, beautiful beach. We were at near the end of the island where we could swim across to Sunset Beach if the whim grabbed us. There were spots in the middle that were more crowded but we were fine. Surprised how much the difference between high and low tide is in terms of beach area--this is a really flat beach. This was a good beach for my family. Thanks everyone for you help.
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 01:37 PM

Did you also notice it runs east and west?!
Yes, it is very flat, hence it is so nice for little children to play in the ocean.
I guess they have finished the beach renourishment now.
The inlet can be very dangerous to swim across, I think.