Lenox, MA -- last minute weekend trip

Old May 2nd, 2019, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lenox, MA -- last minute weekend trip

Hi - DH and I booked 3 nights in Lenox, driving from Phila on Thursday afternoon (not looking forward to the traffic). Staying at the Hampton Inn to use up points. We are looking for a mixture of relaxation and sight-seeing, and are thinking of: Rockwell museum, Ventfort Hall Mansion, Berkshire Mountain Bakery... what else do you recommend? It Deerfield worth the hour drive? We enjoy architecture, wandering neighborhoods, great coffee and cocktails, outdoor markets, history, cafes, people watching, art especially outdoors, concerts. Will also visit exceptional churches, museums, shopping, castles, etc, to a limit.

Appreciate any recommendations!
Old May 3rd, 2019, 04:17 AM

We visited both The Mount (Edith Wharton's home) and Naumkeag last summer and both are very interesting estates with lovely gardens. It looks as though Naumkeag has a daffodil festival going on

Hancock Shaker Village is another really interesting place for both architecture and history.

I would save Deerfield for another trip. It is definitely worth seeing.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 06:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I was going to recommend Herman Melville's house, Arrowhead, in nearby Pittsfield, but I see tours don't start up again until May 20th
Old May 3rd, 2019, 06:33 AM

Opening Day at The Mount may not be until 5/11. I had checked and it said open May to October but under events there is mention of the 5/11 date. Confusing!
Old May 3rd, 2019, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

thanks Fra and VT -- will look into all!
Old May 3rd, 2019, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Vttraveler
Opening Day at The Mount may not be until 5/11. I had checked and it said open May to October but under events there is mention of the 5/11 date. Confusing!
In case anyone else is following, I called The Mount and learned that their first day is May 11. Guided tours included in admission are every hour on the hour starting at 11 (they are open 10-5). No reservation needed and tours do not cap out at a certain capacity.
Old May 6th, 2019, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Does anyone have experience visiting the Bellamy-Ferriday estate in CT? https://www.ctlandmarks.org/bellamy-ferriday
I searched this board and didn't get any hits. My interest stems from reading the novel, Lilac Girls https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...93-lilac-girls
Old May 7th, 2019, 04:17 AM

It's about an hour from there to Amherst, which has Amherst college and a cute little downtown area. It also has Emily Dickinson's home and museum as well as her brother's home, both of which you can tour. I love Emily Dickinson so adored this trip. The college is super cute, and the downtown area has some cute little coffee shops and places to eat. We parked at Emily Dickinson's home and could walk to everything.
Old May 8th, 2019, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rachellynn99
It's about an hour from there to Amherst, which has Amherst college and a cute little downtown area. It also has Emily Dickinson's home and museum as well as her brother's home, both of which you can tour. I love Emily Dickinson so adored this trip. The college is super cute, and the downtown area has some cute little coffee shops and places to eat. We parked at Emily Dickinson's home and could walk to everything.
thanks for the tip re Amherst - we usually enjoy college towns and will definitely keep it in mind.
Old May 8th, 2019, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

any recs for cute cafes for lunch and places for dinner on a Friday or Saturday?
Old May 8th, 2019, 03:48 PM
J62

When we visit the area about once a year we usually stop for lunch in Lee. There are a couple of cafes right along Hwy20 as it passes through town. Last trip we enjoyed a quiet lunch at the Starving Artist Cafe.
For dinner we've eaten at Mint (Indian) twice. First time was great, 2nd time meh.
For takeout or sandwiches we've liked prepared foods from Guido's market, just up the road from the Hampton Inn.
Old May 8th, 2019, 04:56 PM

Clark Art Institute

Charming Williamstown is 25 miles away from Lenox. There is a real treasure in Williamstown: Clark Art Institute. It is hard to imagine that such a tiny rural town is home to the most spectacular collection of Impressionist art, but this is the fact. If you are interested in art, do not miss it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clark_Art_Institute
Old May 9th, 2019, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by J62
When we visit the area about once a year we usually stop for lunch in Lee. There are a couple of cafes right along Hwy20 as it passes through town. Last trip we enjoyed a quiet lunch at the Starving Artist Cafe.
For dinner we've eaten at Mint (Indian) twice. First time was great, 2nd time meh.
For takeout or sandwiches we've liked prepared foods from Guido's market, just up the road from the Hampton Inn.
Thank you! The Starving Artist and Guido's look perfect.
Old May 9th, 2019, 06:03 AM
J62

If you want a good view, drive (or hike) to the top of Mt Greylock (highest point in MA).

Leaves are just now budding across the area so you'll have lots of shades of green. Hiking trails are muddy (unless stone or paved). Mosquitos are out, but it's not quite black fly time yet. As long as you're not out in the woods at dusk bugs should be ok.