leg room in NYC theaters

Search

leg room in NYC theaters

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
leg room in NYC theaters

I'm coming to New York in October, and I'm contemplating getting tickets either for Avenue Q or The Light in the Piazza (yes, I realize we're talking opposite ends of the spectrum here...I'm funny that way!). Anyways, my husband often has trouble with tight seats with no leg room in some theaters. Can anyone shed some light on the seats at the Vivian Beaumont at Lincoln Center, or the Andrew Golden? for Avenue Q we are probably looking at seats way back in the mezzanine, but for Piazza we may be able to get side orchestra. Also, how is the view from the extreme sides of the theater in the Beaumont?

Thanks for any info!
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 12:46 PM

The legroom is fine in the Beaumont. I don't remember the Golden's comfort level.
As for sightlines, you can see from just about anywhere in the Beaumont.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 01:01 PM

If my memory serves me (and sometimes I get easily confused ) I remarked to my husband that the seats were comfortable at the Golden because I could cross my legs, lol. We were seated in rear orchestra - if that matters.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 01:13 PM

While the Beaumont is one of my favorite theatres, I have to say that there is very little leg room -- in fact I got severe leg cramps during Light in the Piazza. Why? Because the seats are stepped up from row to row, so while your knees may not hit the seat in front of you, the seat in front of you goes all the way down to your section of floor. That means you can't extend your feet forward under the seat in front of you as you can in most theatres. Just so you are aware. There were two European women next to us who left at intermission. I was glad they did, because I was able to then turn sideways and extend my feet to the side. I've also had aisle seats there and like those as I can extend my feet into the aisle -- next to the seat in front of me.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 01:19 PM

china cat, your husband married a good woman! Most people do not understand this leg room problem for tall people in airline seats, theater seats, etc. Every time someone on an airline seat in front of me cranks back their seat-back my knees crunch. Aaargh!
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 01:20 PM

Funny, was just at the Golden on Sunday to see Ave Q. We were in the orchestra section on the aisle, and I remarked to my husband that there seemed to be more leg room than some other theatres we have been in (we are medium sized people and there was a few inches between our knees and seat in front). But when I looked down our row, it seemed the space got narrower as it got closer to the center of the row (ie, those folks knees seemed to be touching seat in front). So it seems to vary. Also, the seats are quite old, reminded me of movie theater seats from the 70's. My husband said he could feel a spring rubbing on his behind from his seat. But it is a very entertaining show, so you may not notice much discomfort while you are laughing so much!
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 01:26 PM

Just an observation, and probably not something you plan to do, but I see many people entering the theater after a day of shopping only to be surprised that there is NO room for their packages. Bring a tiny purse
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody, for the info

Patrick, that info on the Beaumont is exactly the type of thing I'm looking for. It is precisely that which will make my husband uncomfortable.

jorr, I've been married to a man whose 6'2" with long legs for 16 years. I've learned, if he's not comfortable, I'm not happy. he's not a huge fan of the theater to begin with, so to some extent he's going on my account. i try to make it a pleasant experience.

seetheworld, the fact you were in the orchestra section DOES matter. in some theaters, the seats get tighter as you move back into the cheap seats. and I will bring a small purse or none at all. I've learned this lesson too.

Has anyone sat at the back of the Golden? I don't think we can get orchestra seats for that, although I may look into it. I'm sort of leaning towards seeing Avenue Q as I've heard so many good reviews of it.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 01:51 PM

The Golden is a small theater. When I say we had orchestra seats in the back, I mean "the back" - isle seats would probably be your best bet.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 01:58 PM

Just further thinking about price and seat comfort, we have been seated in 4th and 5th row orchestra (Les Mes and Fiddler) and truthfully, they were just as tight as mezz or rear orchestra - but they were newer, larger theaters. Maybe that's the difference.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 02:58 PM

Funny, I've got long legs and never had a problem with space in the Beaumont. Oh well!
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 05:16 PM

Actually I have the same problem in first row of mezzanines, which otherwise are my favorite seats for most shows. Although there may be plenty of knee room, there's no place to extend your feet forward like under the seat in front of you. It's why I don't like bulkhead seats on planes too. Maybe it's just me.

Old Oct 4th, 2005, 08:24 PM

My DH is 6'7" tall. I always book him in an aisle seat at the theatre so that if the seat rows are tight he has the option to put his legs out to the aisle a bit.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 09:58 AM

cjbryant, how could a 5 and 1/2 foot tall man have a problem with leg room?
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 10:29 AM

Definitely get an aisle seat for him at the Beaumont. I saw LIP (wonderful, by the way) a few months after knee surgery and I was in agony. I could barely watch the show. I was able to move to a better location during intermission.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

thanks everybody. we decided on Avenue Q, and I was able to get tickets in Orchestra row J on the side aisle. so he should have some room to stick his legs out if its too tight.

now, if anybody has any recommendations for a post theater dinner, 9PM on a Sunday, I'd love to hear them...