Search

Cape Cod

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cape Cod

Hi
We will be arriving into Logan at 2000 on 5th Sep, planning on staying at a motel on way to Cape Cod.
From reading recommendations I have decided to spend 4 nights in Chatham and either 3 nights in Sandwich or Wellfleet. We are a couple (from UK)in our 30s, like busy bars n restaurants at night, njoy walking and cycling during the day. Planning on vising Marthas Vineyard and/or Nantucket as day trip/s.

And on the way home, Red Sox are playing Yankees at Fenway Park, cheapest tickets seem to be $190 from Denver Tickets. Can you advise if there are reputable agents to buy these tickets from at a cheaper price??
We are just going for the experience not because we are huge fans...

And if you can help choose between Wellfleet and Sandwich that wood b magic!!

many thanx

Kirsty
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 12:20 AM

Sandwich is right at the start of the Cape so you are further out from the ferries & rest of the Cape for exploring.
I am self catering in Hyannis after doing research & asking questions on this site - you will get lots of useful advice from others here. Some motels on the Cape are not recommended. The self catering web site I used was weneedavacation. With the current high £ I am paying £450 for a week there in a bungalow cottage for 4 that has 2 double beds.
If you are staying in Boston you won't need a car till you leave for the Cape. Don't miss Little Italy by the North Church in Boston - especially at night. I would also suggest your last night in Boston to avoid missing your flight back due to traffic delays from the Cape. Make sure you get gps satnav in the hire car as the roads are not signposted like in England. Also sunset is much earlier than the UK - it starts to get dark after 8 & the street lights are not as bright as in the UK.
We went to Martha's Vineyard last year as a day trip from Falmouth. The restaraunts are jam packed in Oaks Bluff so make sure you have eaten before getting there. Get a bus day pass & explore - the buses have bike racks so you can use the bus & take a bike. UK libraries have some good travel guides to help.
Have a great time.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 12:31 AM

Re Yankees tickets. Unlikely you will get tickets for less than that - I priced them last week at Ace Tickets - a reputable broker we have used - and that was amount for cheapest seats.

If you find any real bargain tickets, be very cautious. Counterfeit tickets are out there, especially those you get using Ticketfast print-at-home option - buyer can merely print as mnay tickets as s/he wants and sell them.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 01:18 AM

We stayed in Chatham around 5 years ago and would say that it is the essence of Cape Cod - you may be suprised by the drive through the early part of the Cape. It seems more like Blackpool than the Cape Cod we expected.

Chatham is absolutely ideal in terms of you criteria - although our knowledge is 5 years dated.

The are small taxi speedboats to take you out to the barrier islands. There was a great fish restaurant - The Impudent Oyster that had great food and atmosphere. Chatham had a good selection of stylish bars and restaurants.

There is a designated cycle route that is well away from any roads - this cuts through the whole Cape. In addition, we could recommend Kayaking round Chatham as the waters are protected.

We didn't go to Nantucket but it does seem to be this years "in place". We also enjoyed Woods Hole Oceanagraphic Research Centre.

We spent two weeks in Chatham and still didn't do everything we wanted - I personally would use it as your base without a second stop.

I'm sure that you'll have a great time.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 03:11 PM

Try stubhub.com or E Bay.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 05:53 AM

You have gotten good advice here, but a few additional items.

Chatham is an excellent choice for your base, and I think you would prefer Wellfleet for the second location. It is more isolated than Chatham, yet near Provincetown and the entire national seashore with spectacular beaches. Sandwich is well worth a stop, but not so good a base for what you want.

When you arrive in Boston, count on at least an hour to get through immigrations and customs and another half hour or 45 minutes to get your rental car. If you drive an hour south of the city on Route 3 (accessed from I-93), you will be at Plymouth which has a largish supply of motels where you can spend the night, eat and have a drink to unwind.

Next morning, how you approach the Cape makes a huge difference. You can cross the bridge and mostly zip right out to Chatham on US Highway 6, which is a restricted dual carriageway highway that moves you very quickly down the Cape to a place where it is no longer a motorway, then you can crawl in traffic. Since you are stopping for the night on the way to the Cape anyway, I would strongly advise taking the longer but much more scenic route that you will find marked as "6A" on your map on the north side of US 6. You pick in up in Sandwich, and while you can't make much time, it is quite scenic with lots of little villages and shops -- the Cotswolds, if you will, of the Cape.

The area south of US 6 is, as someone noted, the Blackpool of the Cape -- many amusement parks, food stands, cheap motels, t-shirt shops, etc (I can hear people howling now, and this is slightly unfair). It does, however, have better beaches, generally speaking, and better fishing if that is an interest, and everyone enjoys a bit of tacky every now and then.

From the Outer Cape, you will have a hard time making a day trip to Martha's Vineyard. It is a long drive to Wood's Hole, much longer than it looks on the map. You can go to Nantucket from Hyannis easily or Harwichport (closer but more restricted schedule) instead.

Old Jul 11th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Original Poster

Wow!
Thanks so much for that info, much appreciated, my only problem now is trying to find a small intimate hotel in Boston that has availability, many more hours of surfing coming up....!
Thanks again for your help , will let you know how we go
Kirsty
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 09:16 AM

mccak3- try the4 John Jeffries House, on the edge of Beacon Hill. We stay there often, when we plan a weekend in the city, and find it quite comfortable, and accesable to most everything.