Latest tips for seeing a space shuttle launch

Aug 19th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Latest tips for seeing a space shuttle launch

We live in Tampa and have decided to make a big effort to see a shuttle or rocket launch this year. I found some old threads, but I was hoping to consolidate the latest advice for seeing a launch here.

For myself, I do not plan to pay for a tour at this time, though I'm sure the transportation and front-row seat are well worth the price. I'm angling for a park or roadside that would provide a good view for cheap or free.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Aug 19th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

No one yet??
Aug 19th, 2009, 07:43 PM

Jetty Park in Port Canaveral is the best place. They have a website
Aug 23rd, 2009, 11:13 AM

Jetty park is great for rocket launches. For shuttle launches, the Nasa causeway at KSC or Spaceview Park in Titusville http://www.titusville.com/Page.asp?NavID=207 (or on the Indian River in T-ville) give the closest and best views for the general public. This website has excellent, thorough info on viewing sites: http://www.launchphotography.com/Shu...h_Viewing.html

NewbE, if you're coming to one of the launches, maybe we can have a GTG with local posters. There are several of us who live in the area.
Aug 23rd, 2009, 12:30 PM
J62

I'll be in Orlando tomorrow night and thinking of driving east to catch the 1am Tue Discovery launch. Are the places listed above (Indian River or Spaceview park in T-ville) the best places, or would there be another location further inland that would be good since it'll be a nighttime launch?
Aug 23rd, 2009, 01:52 PM

J62, you can actually see launches from Orlando, it's just that it will appear a lot smaller and you won't hear the roar. Since it's a night launch it will be more visible than usual.

The area along the Indian River in Titusville is relatively close to the launch pad and you get a clear view of ignition and lift off which you don't in most other places (the Nasa causeway on the space center grounds is as close as the general public can get, but they've been sold out of tickets for some time).

Be sure to check to see if the launch is still a go before you start driving.
Aug 24th, 2009, 03:57 AM
J62

thanks 321go. We'll see how we feel around around midnight then decide whether to drive or stay put in Orlando, and of course monitor the countdown to launch.

Search this Thread