latest Kauai conditions?

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
latest Kauai conditions?

As of Tuesday the 28th, does anyone have an update on conditions in Kauai.
Rain/flooding/dams/road washouts??

We arrive on the 3rd
Thanks
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 07:03 AM

The east side of our island (Kapa`a, Waipouli, Wailua, Lihu`e) got clobbered on Sunday and Monday -- more debris down the Wailua River and on to Lydgate Beach area (still closed), and the usual winter flooding in front the Coconut Plantation Marketplace.

But no severe damage; no major mudslides.

You can read the online Garden Island News for all the latest info:
http://www.kauaiworld.com/
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 07:03 AM

BTW -- Monday the northshore was filled with blazing sunshine and temps near 80!!! 8-)
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 01:10 PM

Praise the Lord!!!!
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 01:21 PM

I am travelng to Kauai in early april and staying at the Hyatt. Has there been much damage to that area? It looks like the rain will continue, should we be concrened about the reservoir above Popui?
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 01:38 PM

The Hyatt is miles away from the waterway which is downstream from the reservoir in Koloa -- and that reservoir is back down to below-normal levels now (they pumped it).

I sure hope that by April, this island will be dried out!
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 01:11 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 04:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Auntiemaria, How is the Marriott in Lihue these days? We will be there mid-April. We are going to Oahu first. I know they had trouble with their pool. I am hoping all will be cleaned up by then. (If God grants some sunshine your way!!!)
The Marriott website mentioned that they had some trouble, but are up and running normally.
If you have passed by recently, any comments? Thanks
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 08:54 AM

I just saw some pictures taken this past weekend of the Kauai Marriott by someone in the local travel industry - wow.

The pool area is terrible. Haupu Tower guest elevator landing was flooded. Some first floor guest room damage. One of their parking lots was flooded.

If the rain lets up, they may be able to clean it up in time.

I'm sure the hotel is operating, but certainly no one is using the pool or the restaurant next to it.

If usage of the pool is important to you, I would keep in contact with the hotel to find out its status closer to your trip.

Old Mar 29th, 2006, 09:24 AM

Dear chepar,

can you post those pix?

thanks either way.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 11:32 AM

The Marriott was having problems before the most-recent rains, due to the river which was diverted to run under the hotel when it was built decades ago. The culvert burst last year, causing huge sinkholes (swallowed some cars in the parking lot; caused some big palm trees to disappear next to the main building entrance).

The latest rains have caused more problems -- the pool's been cleaned and refilled, but they've got more issues at the front of the hotel now. Incoming traffic can only go as far as the first parking lot, and is then diverted to the parking area on the left of the driveway. Golfers can only access the golf course from the old Kaua`i Lagoons entrance on the highway (near the airport).

As for photos, these were taken 2 weeks ago, when things were really grim -- published in our local newspaper:
http://www.kauaiworld.com/flood/marriott/index.html
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 12:26 PM

auntiemaria, thanks for the reply. I called the Marriott this afternoon and they said the pool was clean and useable. The mentioned the beach is closed because of brown waters. We are due to arrive in two weeks. What do you think auntiemaria, should I be worried that the hotel will be a mess? I am praying like crazy for the sun to shine on all of you!! It needs to dry out some and soon! Should I be looking at alternate locations? We are staying on Marriott points.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 01:51 PM

The pictures I saw are similar (but not the same) as the ones posted by auntiemaria.

Though I was told they were taken last weekend, maybe they were taken a couple weeks ago. I don't have a link for the pictures - they were sent via email.

If the hotel indicates the pool has been cleaned and refilled, that's good to hear.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 03:01 PM

Chepar,
I would like to use the pool and the ocean. I am concerned that conditions will not improve unless it stops raining soon!!!! Are you going there to?
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 03:17 PM

No plans to visit anytime soon - I'm just an interested bystander over here on Oahu.

We've also been getting a *fair* amount of rain and problems related thereto.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 06:01 PM

chepar, I will be coming to your neck of the woods next week. I am hoping conditions improve there as well.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 08:33 AM

girlonthego-

I just saw the weather forecast on the news this morning - while it indicates rain through this coming weekend, it showed sunny skies on Mon - Wed.

Whether that really will happen remains to be seen, but hoping the weather clears up for you (and us).

With so many weeks of continuous rain, I don't think we'd know what to do with ourselves once the sun comes out.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 02:02 PM

Thanks chepar for the good news. I have decided not to look at the weather forecasts anymore. No use worrying over what I can not change. I am praying a lot though. It has been a year of planning and now I hate to be in the rain the entire time. Besides, you poor people have been constantly bombarded and all of the problems it causes. Here on the east coast, we are talking about drought conditions soon. Can we blow some of our weather west???
Thinking positive!!!
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 10:00 PM

I just spoke to my friends who are in Kauai right now. They said that it is still raining in Kaloa.

I have been reading about a number of things that people can see and do in Kauai, what is there to do when it rains? I would hate to get there and spend our entire time in our condo.

Any ideas?
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 11:36 PM

girlonthego, if you will send some sunshine to California I will send you our rain. A deal?

I sure hope, for the sake of everyone in Hawaii, and for all of you that have vacations planned in our most beautiful state that the rain stops immediately. Best wishes to all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -