Late night on Upper west side (NYC)

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 08:13 AM
James

Late night on Upper west side (NYC)

Will be staying in NYC in early July (After the 4th) are there any great late night after dinner hang-outs? (Not Clubs)I would love your suggestions

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 09:42 AM
Anthony

Your best bet would be to check out the restaurants and bars along both Columbus Ave and Amsterdam Ave between 79th st & 86th St. Places like Calle Ocho @ Columbus & 81 or 420 Bar @ Amsterdam & 80 or Venue @ Columbus & 84
would be great places to start. There are many more, again, the Aves. I mentioned will have the greatest concentration of places to go.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 09:56 AM
lisa

Drip (coffee and dessert bar).

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 09:57 AM
cindy

How about Cafe Lalo, a dessert cafe on 83rd street between Broadway and Amsterdam. As Anthony mentioned, that area is also filled with lots of bars if that's what you're looking for.
Also, the Barnes and Noble (w/very small 'cafe" is a block or so away, and is open till 11pm weeknights, midnight weekends. It's a popular neighborhood hangout.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 10:04 AM
patty

Cafe Lalo is great, also Cafe La Fortuna on W. 71st St between Columbus & CPW. For pubs/bars there's Dublin House on W. 79th and way uptown is my friend's favorite, The Abbey on W. 105th between Broadway & Amsterdam.

If you like live music also uptown on Broadway & 105 is Smoke (jazz) and on W. 79th St is Wilson's.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 10:13 AM
Michelle

Unfortunately, Wilson's has closed.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 10:32 AM
a

How about French Roast? I'm an East Sider and I forget exactly where it is - 80s and Amsterdam?

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 12:33 PM
xxx

French Roast (a restaurant/cafe--open 24 hours) is at Broadway and 85th street

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 01:21 PM
patty

Wilson's closed? Sigh... I just walked by and I thought I saw their name still up but maybe it was just the Lucerne's sign. Some nice memories of time spent there. Some folks we know go to the Evelyn's basement lounge to meet their friends (on Columbus and 78th).

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 05:19 PM
rqf

Wilson's name is still up but it is closed.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 05:06 AM
Jess

French Roast is the worst, rudest spot on the UWS. Only go if you want to be fuming after incredibly poor service(had to wait over 1 hour for the check on a dead night) and mediocre food.
Much better are Anthony's recommendation. I would add Potion, Cafe Mozart for dessert, The Heights for margaritas on the roof if you are WAY uptown(111th and Bway). Drip is sort of a singles bar--they keep binders of people you can meet up with. Try www.newyork.citysearch.com for a comprehensive list.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 07:35 AM
jill

Ditto on French Roast. The place is a disaster. Avoid the Heights unless you're a student. It's full of margarita sipping students getting wasted into the wee hours! Try Cafe Edgar on 84th for amazing desserts. I can't believe wilson's closed. That place was perfect!

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 07:59 AM
Michelle

We UWSiders were quite surprised to see the sign out front stating they were closing. I believe NY1 did a story on them a couple of months ago. Yup, very sad. We loved that place.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 08:12 AM
Jess

By July, the Heights should have almost no students, certainly not undergrads. It becomes much more local in the summer.