Notices

Late August-early September trip.

Reply

Jul 12th, 2011, 02:14 PM
  #1
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 82
Late August-early September trip.

l) Fly into Anchorage
2) . Rent a car in Anchorage and drive to Denali.. Either on the trip up or back to Anchorage I plan to take one of the flight trips over Denali. In the park I plan to take the longest tour bus from a distance/hour perspective. Can this be done in 3 days?
From Denali I plan to drive to Seward as my final destination prior to taking the Holland Lines cruise ship south to Vancouver. I have read from some of the people who posted on traveling from Denali to Seward is way to much to do in a day. If this is the case and I do want to see the sights as they unfold on the way does anybody have any suggestions of what city other than Anchorage to stop along the way.
Seward. I plan on spending two full days in Seward and take in the Kenai fjord prior to leaving the evening of the 8th on the Holland Tours.
Any input in this area would be appreciated. In closing could I expect to see any "Fall Foliage: this time of the year and what type of weather would one be looking at in the days-low 50's.
geoseward is offline  
Reply With Quote
Jul 12th, 2011, 02:26 PM
  #2
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,881
Best time of the year to see Denali, imo.

Can this be done in 3 days?

Yes.

I have read from some of the people who posted on traveling from Denali to Seward is way to much to do in a day. If this is the case

It's not TOO much to do but it's a long day ... 6.5 - 7 hours of driving.

could I expect to see any "Fall Foliage

Last week of Aug is peak week for tundra changing colors on your trip to Denali

what type of weather would one be looking at in the days

Anything from snow to bright sunny days to light overcast to rain (sometimes all in the same day). I've gone up there five years in Aug-Sept and really there's no way to know far in advance ...
Bill_H is offline  
Reply With Quote
Jul 13th, 2011, 09:54 AM
  #3
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 82
Thanks for the input
geoseward is offline  
Reply With Quote
Jul 14th, 2011, 08:57 AM
  #4
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,881
geoseward, I looked thru some pics and notes from earlier trips and can give you a bit more info on the 'average' weather in August ... only had one day of snow, the really bad storm that closed the park roads (we were at Wonder Lake and had to wait for a bulldozer to plow the road before we got out) was 2nd week of Sept.

Most days it was overcast enough that you couldn't see Mt. McKinley, and maybe half of these days there was a light mist or sometimes a light rain but never really heavy like on the coast. About 1/3 of the days it was clear and you had a great view of The Mountain. Hope you get one of these.

So percentage wise, say 5% chance of snow, 60-65% chance of overcast-to-light rain, 30-35% chance there's enough visibility to see McKinley clearly.
Bill_H is offline  
Reply With Quote
Aug 10th, 2011, 11:16 AM
  #5
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 57
On our two trips to Alaska in 2005 and 2008 we had varying weather and experiences. Both trips were in late August. In 2008 we were lucky enough to have gorgeous weather on our Denali excursions.

On both trips we had several days of rainy weather. It did not stop us from completing our scheduled activities, except for bear viewing.

See our 2008 trip report and photos on our website

http://strayertravels.wordpress.com/
beckydoodle is offline  
Reply With Quote
 



Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:21 AM.