late april skiing in vail

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 08:36 AM
jg

late april skiing in vail

any info on ski conditions in vail late april? we'll be in denver on business and wanted to take a 2 day side trip to ski. what are conditions like? are the slopes still open?

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 08:46 AM
Jeanette

Ski club just got home from Vail to Chicago on 3/31 and stated there was so much deep snow and flying snow that it was hard skiing. They didn't have a day of blue skies out of five, as it was all real wintery weather. Seeing as how they have that much now, I can't seeing them closing for lack of snow within just 3 weeks.

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 03:58 PM
anne

Just got back from Vail following a 12" snow. The blue sky basin area was closed for the season when we were there. Six or eight of the chairlifts were closed already, but most were secondary lifts (ie, you could still get around the mountain on the mail lifts). LOTS of icy snow under the new snow. I think the last ski day is this coming weekend. Beaver Creek was also closing - maybe as soon as 4/15.

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 05:10 PM
Dayle

Vail will be closed by then. Try Loveland Basin, closer to Denver & usually the first and last to open and close.

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 05:12 AM
sktraveler

Try Arapahoe Basin, too. Not too far from Vail and it usually stays open pretty late. And FYI, even if it's open the skiing probably won't bee that great (hard, packed, icy snow). BUT, any skiing is better than no skiing, right?