Late 30's single needs relocation advice for Ft Meyers-Sarasota area

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2004, 12:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could I live in Naples? Where would be more of a thriving area for someone used to living in Boston- where there is more action? Access to outdoor recreation, nite life, restaurants? Does this exist? I know I would NOT live in Fort Meyers. Old Naples maybe but not sure how far it is from the geography I would be working.
Old May 5th, 2004, 02:49 AM
Original Poster

Encouragement? Suggestions? Run the other way?
Old May 5th, 2004, 03:03 AM

what about Jacksonville? Are you only looking for cities with beach access?
Old May 5th, 2004, 03:04 AM

oh, just read you are looking only for Ft. Meyers area. woops.
cancel that post.
Old May 5th, 2004, 03:18 AM

Have you even been to this area? If so, you wouldn't be asking these questions.

There is a huge amount of information here on Naples and Fort Myers, a little less on Sarasota. I don't know why your mind is made up on Fort Myers but you should know that it is the area that younger people are relocating to. I have two younger clients that told me they could buy twice the house and pay half the taxes they were used to up north. In addition, they can have a boat dock behind their house. Lee County is the fastest growing area of Florida. Naples has a good population of younger people as well, but most must live inland as housing values are very high the closer you get to Old Naples and the Gulf.

In season, it can take 90 min. to go the 30 miles from my work place in Fort Myers to the Pelican Bay area of Naples. It is one hellacious commute.

LMF
Old May 6th, 2004, 02:35 AM
Original Poster

thanks for your inputs. i will be covering an area (pharma sales) that goes from fort meyers to sarasota- and i guess could live up to 45 miles out side of my terriotry either direction. i was thinking naples- but open to other suggestion. i need to live where there is some nite life- i am used to downtown boston which i know does not compare- but hey, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. so i am in fl for a couple of years- how bad could that be? Feb is already booked for visitors.
Old May 6th, 2004, 03:52 AM

FWIW \, the downtown fort myers area has many bars, martini bars, cigar bars, dance places, restaurants all aimed at a younger crowd (20s-30's). There are two good theatre companies including the excellent Florida Repertory Theatre. Joe's Crab Shack on the river gets a good crowd and has a young crowd. Friday nights, Blu Sushi and Cru are crowded with young singles, less chic but crowded still are Bahama Breeze's outdoor bar and Bistro 41.

Fort Myers has become a very different place lately due to companies relocating here. Find What, a fast growing internet company has something to do with this as does Chicos FAS. Fifth Avenue in Naples is a great place but Naples would still be a arduous commute. You could look in between Ft. M and Sarasota but those areas are very elderly and restaurant and bar wastelands. LMF

Old May 7th, 2004, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

topa topa topa
Old May 7th, 2004, 02:55 PM
LN

Sounds like LMF has given you some really good advice. Fort Meyers and Sarasota both have a young crowd but they're also quite a distance apart.

I love the Sarasota area - the beaches are great - the town is very upscale - I have no problem with shopping either and I'm used to the DC metropolitan area.

I would imagine that you're going to need to try it and see if you like it or at least visit for two weeks (??) not a whole lot of time though.

good luck
Old May 8th, 2004, 12:01 PM

If you check demographics from the US Census, you'll find the greatest concentration of youth 18 and under in Ft. Myers (26%) and Tampa (25%). And you'll find the greatest concentration of 65 and over in Bonita Springs (32%), Bradenton (25%) and Naples (25%).

You might do some research of your own to see what you can find. You won't find anything like Boston in Florida, but Naples, Tampa, Sarasota, and St. Petersburg have interesting downtowns IMHO. Tampa's Ybor City is a captivating spot for people who want to be where the younger action is.
Old May 8th, 2004, 04:54 PM

Jillc1,

I used have the same work-related territory that you're about to take. I live in Bradenton and spent about 3 days a week on the road during high season. IMO, someone your age will be happier in Sarasota. I love Naples, but traffic is awful there in season. Sarasota roads are heavily traveled also, but the main road that runs all the way through the county (US 41--also runs through Naples) was better planned and there are alternate routes. Since I was in the car so much the last thing I wanted to deal with on my time off was driving hassles.

Sarasota has the night life you're looking for--the downtown area is thriving. In addition there is theatre, opera, ballet and a symphony. If I don't go to Tampa to shop I go to Sarasota. They have upscale shopping in malls as well as places like St. Armands. We also do most of our dining out in Sarasota.

As far as housing, you will have many choices.

Good luck with your decision.

Old May 26th, 2004, 11:04 AM

Late 30s, pharmaceutical sales, single... territory from Sarasota-Ft Myers? Naples is pretty, but I think I'd be more interested if I were - 79? I suggest Sarasota over Naples. As we say around here, your grandparents may live in Sarasota, but their parents live in Naples.

If you happen to work for Pfizer, maybe you and my brother-in-law could switch territories and you could take the middle east coast of FL. Then he could move here!

No, the nightlife is nothing (at ALL) like the Boston area. There are plenty of restaurants in Sarasota, all types, and all sorts of outdoor recreation. The beaches here are beautiful, too. Night life - well, it depends on how you define night life. If you mean bars and dancing, Sarasota doesn't have many choices, but if you mean ballet, theater, opera, symphony, dining, then we've got you covered.

I don't know enough about Ft. Myers to say, but you specifically said NOT Ft. Myers, so I hope this helps.

Old May 26th, 2004, 12:16 PM

Yes, I forgot to add that to my post--Sarasota is a younger community in general. Naples is a nice place to visit but I wouldn't like to live there.
Old May 26th, 2004, 02:00 PM

Jayne, I suspect from your comments about old/young that you haven't been to Naples in a very long time. Ten or more years ago what you say was true. It no longer is.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

I have not checked this in a while- thank you everyone. Patrick- do you live in Naples- and no, I do not work for Pfizer but a very similar company. I have heard the Bayshore development in Naples is a very neat place to live and a very good investment? Close to downtown, the beach. I do like cultural events and also woudl like to volunteer, maybe get involved on a board or 2. I don't want this hard earned BU MBA to go to waste.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Sorry - thats bayfront in naples, not bay shore.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 06:56 PM

Florida's demographics are older than the rest of the country. Naples, and other cities such as St. Petersburg, are even older than the rest of Florida.

Them's the facts. Census data.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

thank you- in one of your messages you meniton imho? What does that mean?
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 07:13 PM

imho - in my humble opinion. imo -- in my opinion. web lingo.

lol -- laugh out loud.

Old Jun 1st, 2004, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Got it- thats funny, I have not heard that one before!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -