Last week's New York Trip Report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2010, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!! Here is the promised trip report of my last week’s trip to New York!!! First of all “thanks” to the strike and shutdown of the Spanish airports we arrived at Miami with one and a half days delay and NO luggage…Our luggage never arrived at nyc either, so that was a bit inconvenient and it cost us a lot of money and time…

Now the report of our very (too) short trip: we arrived on Wednesday to find the city as beautiful as always this time of the year, the tree at Rockefeller, all the window shops, etc… The intercontinental Barclay as you all described needs a little “wash up” but the location is great and we were kindly upgraded to a corner suite on a high floor, so we were very happy at the hotel! Also the concierge was very helpful to make all the reservations in advance for us.

Wednesday we had dinner at the Bar Room at the MOMA. We really liked the place and ambience. The food was also very good, our favorite were the Homemade Sausage and the Beignets, which are like little homemade doughnuts (my husband wanted to order more!)

Thursday: We had breakfast at Burger Heaven, and then we walked around fifth avenue area, than got a cab to go to Brooklyn. We arrived at Peter Luger and were seated after a short wait. We ordered Porterhouse for 2, 2 slices of bacon, French fries (no German ones available!), and apple strudel to share (with schlag!) The meat was excellent and although we expected a bad service, our waiter was good enough…all in all a very good experience we are sure to repeat!

After lunch we went to the pier 17 and that area to do some shopping and then to the hotel, because at 8 we had tickets to see Spiderman.
About the show: the scenery (I don’t know if you call it that…) is incredible! We hadn’t seen anything like it before in a musical. The story was ok and the songs could be improved. One or two are quite good, but the rest are nothing special and not as good as could be expected specially knowing who is behind this show. We didn’t regret watching it, but I think some things must be improved before the official opening. Afterwards we had booked a table at Marseille, but in the break we realized we were so tired we wouldn’t be able to make it and called to cancel it…

Friday: we had breakfast at burger heaven again and then went walking around Columbus circle, central park, some shops I wanted to see at Third Avenue, etc.
Dinner: we had our special dinner at Gramercy Tavern. What a beautiful place! The Christmas decorations were lovely! I loved the food! My husband was not so enthusiastic about it, but was happy enough! My favorites were the pasta with lamb and the chocolate bread pudding

Saturday: we had a late breakfast-early brunch at Balthazar (lovely eggs Benedict!!!) had a walk around soho and back to the hotel to pick up our luggage to go to the airport…It was a great trip!!! We had a great time!!But Next time we need more days!!!

I LOVE NEW YORK!!!!!
Old Dec 15th, 2010, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Sorry!!! I forgot to say the most important thing!!!
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 15th, 2010, 06:07 AM

Glad you had such a good time. NYC is a fun place. Lunch at Peter Luger is dinner as well.
Old Dec 15th, 2010, 07:29 AM

Glad it all worked out. I kept thinking of you with each day of news coverage about the problems with scenery at Spiderman. Glad you weren't sorry you saw it. If it doesn't open, you may be one of the few people who did see it!
Old Dec 15th, 2010, 08:32 AM

So glad all worked out in the end. Did you eat at the formal dining room at Grammercy or the Tavern room?

It will be interesting to see the future of Spiderman, and you will always have the memory of participating in the process.

Thanks so much for checking back.
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 01:27 AM
Original Poster

Elainee, we can't remember ever being as full as we felt when we left Peter Luger...
I didn't know the chance of not opening even existed. Can't imagine how much money they would loose...and I feel sorry about the cast too!
We ate at the formal dining room. What a lovely decoration at the Tavern room! even the bathrooms were decorated nicely!!
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Please update me on how Spiderman is doing!!