Last minute Itinerary HELP!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2016, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am seeking last minute itinerary suggestions. We fly into ABQ on the 23rd with our 5 y/o and 7 y/o and would like to travel to Santa Fe/ Taos. What would you suggest day by day for an itinerary? We are last minute booking, but would like to experience unique regional cultural experiences at the Pueblos. We are seeking Christmas Eve, Christmas day, and New Years recommendations, as well. We hope to spend at least one day snow tubing in Taos Ski Valley. My children are most excited to see snow. Any other children's recs like the children's museum or any theatre performances are welcome also.
Thank you.
Old Dec 20th, 2016, 09:07 PM

There are couple of things you can do:

1. Sandia Peak
You can hike there or take the tram, which is about $20 per adult (not sure for kids). There should be snow at the top and you can hike around. Depending how much hiking you're doing, this should be at the most a half day trip. If you can spend time being at the top at sunset you will be amazed.

2. Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks
Hiking through canyons through Native American land. Great looking canyons and mound structures. Another half day affair. Headed here on your way from ABQ you will be passing Sante Fe, so depending on what you are doing, you can possibly do these both in the same day. This is of course with starting your day early. We did not go to Sante Fe but heard that it's pretty cool to visit,

Now these next two are not in ABQ but are anywhere between a 3-4 hr drive.

3. White Sands National Monument
If you are not too tired and can muster it, I would do it. Your kids will love you for it and hey, you and husband will possibly get a kick out of it too. If you can, bring your sleds...if not, then buy one at the visitor center, it's well worth it. If you don't plan on sledding then may not be worth the 4 hr drive.

4. Carlsbad Caverns
Another four hour drive to get here. It's a cave system that is pretty cool and they have guided tours. Note, you will walk a lot and it's not the easiest either as I think you are walking about a mile and half into a cave and have to walk back up out of it. There are elevators but they were out when we were there.

Here is a video of our adventures: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWWSlcB9LQs

Let me know if there are any questions.
Old Dec 20th, 2016, 10:25 PM

Albuquerque has a lot to offer for kids. We have a really good zoo, and they might enjoy Explora, the children's museum, which has a lot of hands-on activities.

Where do you plan to spend Christmas Eve? Both Santa Fe and Albuquerque have beautiful luminaria displays - check Canyon Road in Santa Fe or the Albuquerque Country Club/Old Town area. Unfortunately, the city's luminaria bus tour is sold out, but if you can find a place to park near Old Town, it's fun and festive.

Here is a link for information on Christmas Day dances at many of the pueblos. Be sure to read the information on visitor etiquette before you go.
http://www.newmexico.org/feast-days/

Lee Ann
Old Dec 21st, 2016, 11:11 AM

I forgot to ask what time do you get into Albuquerque, and how long do you have for this trip?

Lee Ann
Old Dec 21st, 2016, 12:19 PM

>

Last check, TSV doesn't start the tubing until after the slopes close.

>

Well, there's more than that.

First, in Albuquerque there's the Zoo, the Explora!, the botanic garden and bug exhibit, and the National Museum of Nuclear Science & History.

In Santa Fe, there's a lot of arty stuff. Much less kid-centric attractions here.

In Taos, there's a whole lot of notmuch for kids, especially if they don't or won't ski. If you're thinking of putting them on skis, go to Red River or Angelfire, each of which are less steep and therefore less intimidating than TSV.
Old Dec 21st, 2016, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

great suggestions thank you.