Last "family" vacation -- please help!

Sep 26th, 2000, 08:26 AM
Cheryl

Last "family" vacation -- please help!

This is our son's last year at home before heading to college. We promised he could bring a friend, and we all agree we want sun and beach and low-key vacation.

We plan on flying Southwest Air out of Albany, NY. From what I can gather, they fly into Orlando, Jacksonville, Miami(?), and one other location which I can't remember at the moment. A 2 to 3 hour drive from any of these places would be OK.

We don't want spring break locations, prefer NOT a motel, or busy resort.

What we would like is a house or cottage:
on the beach
2-3 bedrooms
clean
reasonable.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction. I owuld love to find names of realtors who will send full-color brochures or catalogs to browse thru or recommendations of websites to visit that match these requests.

Please help!

Sep 26th, 2000, 08:29 AM
Cheryl

P.S. I forgot to mention we will be going in April. Thanks!

Sep 28th, 2000, 05:01 PM
me again

Was it something I said?

Sep 29th, 2000, 04:57 AM
liz

Cheryl...I understand your frustration. Try posting on the USA Forum - maybe you'll get more attention. This Florida Forum gets almost no activity anymore since the split. It's discouraging. Our family is taking a vacation to the florida keys in December. Our daughter is a junior in HS and can't wait to go. She is excited about snorkeling, sitting on the beach with friends, spending time in Key West, etc.

Sep 29th, 2000, 11:19 AM
J T Kirk

If you're still there, I'd vote for flying into Miami, renting a car, and driving down to the Keys. It's a truly great place. Many nice restaurants, bars, shops, etc. The ocean is gorgeous, and you can do some snorkling at a wonderful reef. Jacksonville has Amelia Island to offer, which is a nice beach area, and a little further south is St Augustine, which is a little hokey but chockful of history. orlando has, well, disneyworld and every other manmade themepark in the galaxy.

Sep 29th, 2000, 03:04 PM
Cheryl

Liz and JT Kirk -- thanks! I was beginning to think I'd either been blackballed or sent to the Twilight Zone. When I was on the Caribbean board last winter, folks were SO helpful -- I ended up making my decision on where to go, thanks to fellow posters. So thanks again. I'll certainly look into your advice. It's folks like you who make Fodors a fun place to come to!

Oct 2nd, 2000, 05:36 PM
Kathy

We found the most wonderful place called North Captiva Island (do not confuse it with Captiva Island). They have a website www.northcaptiva.com. We found it by accident on the internet and took our 4 children (18,18,11,9) during spring break four years ago. It is as low key as you can get. You fly into Ft. Myers to get there. The island has about 50 permanent residents. The rest of the homes are vacation rentals. No cars are allowed. The island arranges to pick you up from the hotel or airport, takes you to the grocery store, then to a motor boat which ferries you to the island. Transportation there is by foot, bike, or golf cart. All homes come with golf cart, bikes can be rented. There are a few restaurants (very casual dress) and no stores other than a few basic things for sale at the main office. There is a pool and tennis courts. We practically had the beach to ourselves. The shelling is great. If you need a tourist fix you can take a water taxi to Captiva Island. My daughter and I did that and after about a half hour she was ready to go back - too many people! If you want a quiet beach vacation, this it. Our kids would love to go back. Just be careful about which place you rent. Ours was a little dumpy - there were many others that were gorgeous and much newer. Also, make sure you bring enough groceries. The island "store" has a few staples if you need them, but they are expensive. You can also have groceries ferried over, but you pay a fee for it.