Search

Lasalle Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 08:05 AM
Holli

Lasalle Hotel

hello,
We are staying in the lasalle hotel for mardi gra.I have a few questions. Is this a nice hotel, is it within walking distance to the french quarter and is the area safe. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 08:11 AM
Meg

I just noticed this hotel last week, Holli. It's right beside the Saenger Theatre on Canal Street about a 1/2 block off Rampart. This is, technically, right outside the Quarter. Rampart is the lakeside border of the Quarter. This area probably wouldn't be the best to walk around in late at night, but at Mardi Gras, Canal Street is very crowded - just be aware of your surroundings.

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 08:16 AM
Holli

Thank you meg for your quick response. You didnt by chance go in and take a look around did you I'm worried that the price was so reasonable that the place might be a dump.

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 08:19 AM
Meg

No, I didn't look. We were just driving by and I commented to my husband, "What an odd place for a hotel." He agreed. All you can see from the street is the doorway. If your rate is too good to be true, unfortunately, it probably is.

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 08:43 AM
John

Sorry to say the place is not so great. It has window-unit air conditioners and is across the street from the Iberville Housing Projects. I wouldn't stay there unless I couldn't find anything else, and then I'd probably prefer cabs after dark.

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 09:44 AM
holli

To john On our budget Lasalle seemed to be our best bet. We have already booked so we will have to make the best of it. By not so great do you mean a total dump or just your basic hotel. Any advice or information would be most appreciated, Thanks holli

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 12:33 PM
John

Holli: The LaSalle is VERY basic but I don't think it's a total dump. I am concerned about its location across from the projects. If you do walk at night (rather than taking cabs), just take the typical "city precautions" and you should be fine.

I'd seriously consider splurging a few more dollars and getting a nicer B&B or hotel, however.