Las Vegas Trip Report - Yah Baby !

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2004, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Returned from a wonderful trip to Las Vegas from Apr.16-23/04. Still suffering from the jet lag, as we're from the east coast of Canada...must be getting older, as I don't bounce back as quickly.
First wanted to say a few quick words on the "new" terminal 1 at Toronto, and making a connection to terminal 2 for the US...IT SUCKS. My apologizes to the nice lady in the shuttle bus I had a hold of for dear life on the never ending ride to terminal 2. They have bars to hold onto in the bus, but at 5'7, I couldn't reach them while standing up ?!
We arrived in Las Vegas at 10:30pm on the 16th. ( approximately 2:30am my time ). Beyonce and Alicia Keys were in town at Mandaly Bay, as well as the start of the NAB conference. Needless to say, there wasn't a cab/shuttle/limo to be found. Got into the line up for cabs, and finally got one at 1:00am Vegas time. Pays to be nice, as we shared our cab with another man who was on his way to Bally's too, and he paid for the cab ride. ( Thank You ! )
Check in for Bally's was quick and easy. We had booked a deluxe king room, and received just that. I couldn't believe the size of this room ! It was huge. Nice touches were the seperate sink and vanity with chair in the dressing room by the closet, and the bathroom was huge and nicely done. Don't laugh, but this room had the best ergonomic toilet I've ever seen. ( I'm a physical Therapist.). So nice to sit back and relax...Something else that was kind of interesting was the padded suede like wall behind the bed...sorta retro seventies. View was of the parking garage, but I didn't come to look out the window all day. Have to give a kudos to housekeeping. They were prompt and very efficient. They even called us one day when we were later leaving the room, to ask when they could come and make it up.
Our first day was spent on the south end of the strip, as I had to get my fix of Krispy Kreme donuts. ( Don't have them where I live ). I need to be honest here, and state that in 7 days I ate 2 dozen raspberry filled Krispy Kreme. I think my body is still in a state of shock, but luckily didn't gain a pound. ( Thanks Dad for the great metabolism ). Sunday night we went to the VH1 Divas concert. My husband grumbling along the way, but he gained a new respect for Jessica Simpson, as in his words, she can really belt one out ! Concert featured Jessica, Cyndi Lauper, Patti Labelle, Debbie Harry and Blondie, Ashanti, Eve, Sheila E, and Tom Jones, as well as Gladys Knight. Cyndi was my favorite, and well Tom Jones was, surprisingly great. We should have gone to his show but it wasn't until the night before we left.
Monday we traipsed up to the Fashion Show Mall, looking for guilt gifts for our 2 year old. Very hard to find toys for kids on the strip, and this leads me to my next observation. Now, as I've said, I have a 2 year old. I would never think of bringing him to Vegas. Just isn't enough for him to do there, and the atmosphere is definetley adult. But what did we see on a daily basis, but screaming kids being dragged around by their parents. We saw more sleepy kids falling out of their strollers at 10 and 11pm, it was amazing to us as parents, that you would subject your kid to this. But the worst was at the restaurant we went into late one night, and saw a child of 2 or 3 alseep on top of the table, while his parents and other adults drank...When they left, I was shocked to see another toddler asleep in a stroller by the table. As a health care provider and parent, I suggest that Vegas is not the best family vacation for kids. Just one sec, while I jump off my soap box.
We ate a lot on the fly, but ones worth mentioning are the pastry and boulangrie in Paris. Great sandwichs, snacks, and to die for desserts. We left the strip one night to head to the Voodoo Cafe for dinner. Got all dressed up, as they said they have a dress code, only to find other diners in shorts and sneakers !? Food was great, but menu is somehwat limited. Waiters are very attentive, and you can't beat the view from the 50th floor, out on the balcony. If you are looking for good Vegas fromage, try the Rain Forest Cafe at MGM. The atmosphere is cool with simulated rain showers and thunder storms, but go later if you want to avoid lots of animated kids.
Have to say that portion size in America is out of control. I was never able to finish any of my meals, at any restaurant, except for the Voodoo Cafe. I felt guilty every night when they came and said " are you sure you're done ? " Even my hubby, who's a big guy, couldn't touch some of the portions he got.
Shopping is great in Vegas, and I got to indulge my girlie passions, but with the exchange rate, didn't bring a whole lot home. As it was our first trip away from our son, we indulged him big time with guilt presents. When coming back through customs, they asked what we had to declare, and we said toys, lots of toys.
We love Vegas, and will be back in another couple of years.
Overall Bally's is great, but not fancy hotel, and I would stay there again in a second due to it's location. Can't go wrong with Bally's, Bellagio, Paris, or Alladin, and they cover most price ranges. This has been somehwat of a rambling review, but if I can answer any specific questions, please let me know.
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 08:07 AM
GoTravel

Hey wagon, you couldn't finish your meals because of the two dozen KK's! <wink>

Old Apr 28th, 2004, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

My husband and I are still trying to figure out the magic ingrediant in them, because I don't eat donuts at home !
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 08:32 AM
GoTravel

The magic ingredient is lard. No kidding.

Old Apr 28th, 2004, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

They use lard here for our Tim Hortons donuts, but there is no comparison. I think it may be something more sinister ....glad I still maintained my girlie figure, but I may have to give first aid to my arteries.
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 08:42 AM

Great report, especially your observations of children, I agree with you 100%, hate selfish parents! But you can see the same in Disneyland - parents dragging their crying toddlers.

We stayed at Flamingo once, great location too.
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 09:10 AM

Hi Wagonwheel,
Just wanted to say that I agree with you about kids in Vegas. I was there in September for a family wedding and I was truly amazed at the parade of strollers on the strip late at night and into the wee hours.
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 09:39 AM

We arrived in Vegas at 10:30 p.m. on April 16th too (from Detroit). That cab line was UNBELIEVABLE, wasn't it? We decided to go with a shuttle instead of a cab. Still took a long time, but I think it was a little faster than the cab would have been. Vegas was VERY crowded with the concert and NAB - people everywhere. We stayed at the Flamingo. We had a renovated room and I was pleasantly surprised.

I agree with you - I would not bring an infant or young child to Vegas.
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 10:39 AM

Thanks for sharing!

Welcome to the town that never sleeps when there is a cab line in the wee hours!

Did you do anything that you "left in Vegas?" ;-)
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

I hang my head in shame when I admit that as a tired parent of a two year old, and having major jet lag from the east coast, we were barely able to stay up past our normal bedtime of 10pm ! I feel like I've let a lot of people down...seriously, it was nice to just be away and live vicariously through some of the "wild" folk you saw on the strip. ( God, I'm in my thirties, but sound like I'm ready for the retirement home...)
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 11:08 AM

Just curious how much you got your room for at Ballys and how did you book it? I have also stayed at Balleys and liked it quite a bit. Very large rooms. We also liked the pool area. Great place to stay if you are bringing kids. Our rate a few years ago was around 125. which I thought was a little high for the place. Thanks for the review.
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 11:14 AM

LOL Wagonwheel. I've reread your posts many times and I think in your first post you may have meant being 5'7" or 57" or something like that you couldn't reach the bars but I thought maybe you were a 57 year old mother of a 2 year old and the made ME tired!!! Then in your most recent post you say you are in your thirties. Whew!
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Heavens: I booked my room several months in advance, and got it for the rate of $139.00. Not great but it was a big convention week-end.

Suzie: 57 and a 2 year old...you must have mistaken me for someone living in Beverly Hills !
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 06:01 PM

Why was Tom Jones invited to join 8 female "divas" for a diva concert?
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 05:29 AM

Ted....LOL

I actually was thinking the same thing. Maybe he does a X-dressing act??
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 11:01 AM

I was just checking out Bally's on hotels.com They list it for $79 a night (Sun - Wed)
Old May 6th, 2004, 04:53 AM
bluestructure

I booked my stay for ballys, July 1-6 @ 75.00 a night w/ 110.00 a night for weekend days. Thanks for the lil bit of info on Ballys wagon.