Search

Las vegas to Grand Canyon

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 1997, 11:41 AM
jeanne

Las vegas to Grand Canyon

I am going to las vegas in July, and I am planning
a side trip to the Grand Canyon. I would like to
know how many hours that it takes to drive from vegas to the South end of the Grand Canyon, or from
Vegas to the Norh end of the Grand Canyon. Also,
does anyone have any suggestions on where to stay
if we go to the North end, and if there are other
sights on the way.

Old Jul 2nd, 1997, 05:50 PM
gayle fruehstorfer

I took that same trip two years ago We took the southern route from Vegas and went through Zion Park I thought Zion was as nice if not nice than the grand canyon. We also saw glen canyon and some other sites on the way It is the longest way with all back roads but worth it to me. We came home the northern route all major roads and made much better time. I only saw one hotel near the grand canyon and it was right outside the northern exit. We didn't stay we made the whole trip in one day; We left at 6am and returned at 2AM We were traveling with four children and we made a lot of stops. We really enjoyed the day and even got a breath taking view of Vegas at night on our trip back to town and I got to see Hoover dam at night also. Hope you have a nice trip. I did!

Old Jul 2nd, 1997, 08:02 PM
rh

I definetely recommend to go to the south rim of the canyon, the viwes are much better, you have better services etc, -- there is only one lodge at the north rim - which is beautiful - 0ld and I personally would only recommend it if you stay longer and olan on hiking a lot. The trip from Las Vegas will take at least 5 hrs. non-stop to the south rim of the canyon - so an overnight stay is recommended - short term it is almost impossible to find lodging within the park itself, however you might be able to find a room in Tusyan just outside the south entrance - I would not go in the summer witout a confirmed reservation - an alternative would be to take one of the Grand Canyon flights from Las Vegas - typically this is a one day turn-around and the company provides bus service from the airport into the park and you have several hour on your own for viewing, thera are free shuttle busses available inside the park. Hope you enjoy the Grand Canyon - don't let small obstacles keep you from going - after all, it is one of the seven naturl wonders of the world, and the only one in North America.

Old Jul 3rd, 1997, 05:29 PM
P. Jernigan

Just got back from that same vacation. I am from Florida and have never been out west. We drove to the South end and with lots of stops (misc. visitors centers, lunch, etc.) it took a little over 6 1/2 hrs. After you enter the park and visit a few sites, a shuttle bus takes you to the rest of the canyon. It was hot, so you will need to bring water. There is 1 area with a small eatery....its the last one!!! The sights are really breath taking, but honest and truly we liked Zion National Park better!!! After 1 day at the south end, we traveled to a town called Page (3 hrs. away). Traveling through painted desert is an awsome sight also. (If you like Indian jewelry, the small "tent" areas on the reservation along the road is a LOT cheaper than at the gift stores) We spent the night in Page and drove 2 1/2 hrs. to Zion National Park the next morning. It is 2 1/2 hours back to N. Las Vegas. If you have time, I hear that Bryce Canyon is beautiful, but we did not have time to go.

Old Jul 4th, 1997, 08:31 PM
Polly

Did this trip last summer with my adult daughter. Previous responses are correct about time to travel. We left Vegas late afternoon, stayed overnight in Flagstaff, next AM took a detour to Sedona...beautiful place to see...expensive place to stay, but well worth the l 1/2 hours it added to our trip...literally just drove through...then to the Grand Canyon for remainder of the day. After nightfall drove to Williams for overnight then back to Vegas. Exhausting...but wonderful experience! Have Fun!