Las Vegas, Portland, Seattle, San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2014, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone done a sorta circle? Would be leaving from Las Vegas heading North to ultimately see, Columbia Gorge, Mt Hood, Seattle, Portland then heading down coast to San Francisco then over to Sacramento then back to Vegas. No time restriction , visiting all fabulous sites along the way. Any and all suggestions are very much welcome. Like to travel off main roads, not necessary to do major highways. Thanks
Old Mar 31st, 2014, 08:06 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
How soon? If during summer try this route: LV to Death Valley.
Death Valley through Mammoth Lakes (US 395) and over the Tioga Pass into Yosemite NP. Spend some time in Yosemite before moving on. Drive north on Rt. 49 through the California gold country Maybe spend a night at Lake Tahoe. Rt. 20 off I-80 to Williams on I-5 is an interesting road to avoid going through Sacramento. Go north on I-5 to Medford OR. From Medford take Rt. 62 to get to the south entrance of Crater Lake NP. See Crater lake and leave via the north entrance. Turn right on Rt. 138 to US 97 north to Bend. There are plenty of things to see and do in the Bend area. From Bend go north on 97 to Madras and take US 26 to the Mt. Hood area. Take Rt. 35 north to get to Hood River. See the waterfalls between Hood River and Portland. There's a great view of the Columbia Gorge from the top of Multnomah Falls.
You can take your pick of many places to go in Washington besides Seattle.
Come back into Oregon on US 101 through Astoria. There are a lot of things to see on the Oregon Coast. Continue down 101 all the way to San Francisco. Continue south from SF at least as far as Santa Barbara. You can decide if you want to go through Los Angeles to get back to Las Vegas.
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 12:16 AM

Here's the way I would do it:

No Death Valley in the summer. By-pass it, cross over to CA north of it. go up US395 to Lake Tahoe, stopping by Mono Lake and Bodie State Historic Park. From Lake Tahoe, follow the spine of the Sierra, visiting Lassen National Park. North of there there is Lava Beds National Monument. Crater lake follows. Then I would continue east of the Cascades to Mt. Hood. Then Portland. Then back down by following the coast as much as possible all the way to Bodega Bay. On to SF. From SF I would go to Sonora and Columbia (gold country) and then to Yosemite, over the Tioga Pass after visiting the valley to return to Las Vegas.

But it might be best to get a hold of guidebooks to see what other sights might interest you.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca...7622981132189/
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 09:47 AM

The first two replies are excellent. I'll add, spend the night in Hood River. The Best Western on the Columbia River is great, if not too expensive.

Spend a night in Portland; one of America's best tourist cities (besides being a great place to live.) Spend a night in Astoria; America's oldest city in the Northwest. Cannon Beach walk, stop at air museum in Tillamook, overnight in Newport, OR, on to redwoods and Eureka.

What you've decided on for yourself is one of the best trips in the United States! Forget about Washington this time around; it doesn't compare with where you'll have already been or where your going.
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

These are great! The time would be mid to end of Sept. Love Yosemite as I haven't been there in years. May leave Seattle for another time. Now off to check out history stuff in Oregon. Thanks again
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 01:26 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm not sure why you'd skip Seattle when you are so close (Portland is only a 3 hr drive south) and you have unlimited time.

Suze in Seattle (ha-ha)