Las Vegas Day Trips

Old Dec 26th, 2013, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Las Vegas Day Trips

I am visiting Las Vegas New Years for 5 nights and staying on the strip. We have visited Las Vegas many many times and never leave the strip. I am reaching out for advice on best day trips. Someone mentioned hot springs but I cannot find any information on this. Also is the Hoover Dam worth the trip. We would like to also drive towards warmer weather too. We are open to all suggestions. Many thanks!
Old Dec 26th, 2013, 07:15 PM

A really nice day trip would be to Valley of Fire State Park if you like scenic and want to possible to a short hike or two. http://www.valley-of-fire.com/

Not as large but still scenic and has hiking is Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area. http://www.blm.gov/nv/st/en/fo/lvfo/..._rock_nca.html

If you don't mind really long day trips you could go to Zion National Park which would be a three hour drive one way. And there is always Death Valley National Park.

Utahtea
Old Dec 26th, 2013, 07:44 PM

We didn't make it to Valley of Fire, but spent wonderful day hiking in Red Rock Canyon.

We definitely thought that Hoover Dam was worth the trip--the tour was fascinating. Stopped at an interesting history museum in Henderson on the way back.
Old Dec 27th, 2013, 02:50 AM

Red Rock is easy to get to - 20 minutes - and very interesting, including their visitor center. Valley of Fire takes more time Hour and a half to get there? - but I would love to camp overnight there next time.

And we also really liked the tour of Hoover Dam - an engineering feat for sure. On the way - or back - we try to stop at the EthelyM/Mars Candy factory for tour and some great chocolate. They also have a beautiful (desert) botanical garden. http://www.ethelm.com/about_us/factory_tour.aspx
Old Dec 27th, 2013, 03:10 AM

We like to go to Death Valley when we are in Vegas. It is about 2 hours drive. We usually head north on 95 to Beatty then head west with a stop at Rhyolite, a ghost town with a house made of bottles. Then we stop at the top of the ridge for the panoramic views of the valley and on down south to the VC and beyond to Bad water with stops along the way.