Reload this Page >

Las Vegas and surrounding areas

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 1997, 09:05 AM
Jeanne Danek

I am going to Las Vegas in July with my family. I would like to know if anyone has stayed at the Stratosphere. Also, which is better, the Stratoshphere or Excalibur. We do not gamble, we are only going to see the sights. What are the best places to go outside of Las Vegas? What about the weather, will it be too hot to enjoy outdoor excursions? Does anyone know how many hours it will take to drive to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon
from Las Vegas?

Old May 27th, 1997, 06:56 PM
Scott

Hot, is an understatement of what you will experience in July in Vegas. 104 degrees will be pleasant. There is no humidity so it's not too bad.

The Stratosphere is an okay place to visit. We have never stayed there. It is kind of tackey. The ride to the top is 7 or $8. It is not in a very good location for walking to other sites. It sounds like you will be renting a car, great idea! Stay off the bus, you can walk faster, it stops every 100ft. Excalibur is in a better location if you are just sight seeing - close to MGM, Luxor, NY NY, etc. There are a lot of strollers and kids there. Check into NY NY or Monte Carlo. They have good rates $69ish a night. Hoover Dam and Lake Mead are a given. Another fun place is west out of Vegas 30 miles or so to Buffalo Bills & Whiskey Petes. This is a place we go to get away from the action and ride some "rides" and play over-priced video games.
The North Rim is about 2 1/2 hours or so. Driving in the desert is fun. Drink lots of water!!!! E-mail if you have any other questions about Vegas.

Old May 27th, 1997, 08:19 PM
L. Montgomery

Stratosphere is at the lower end of the Strip and not a good area. I have never been inside but would choose another place.

A visit to Mt. Charlston one day for lunch would be fun....about 40 min. out of Vegas up in the mountains, beautiful scenery and about 30 degrees cooler than in town.

Old May 29th, 1997, 09:40 AM
M. Morzenti

We went to Vegas last year and spent the 1st day at Valley of the Fire State Park. It was beautiful and well worth the trip --approx. an hour. You can do hiking-walking-etc. If you go early enough you could do Valley of the Fire in the morning and drive down to Hoover Dam in the Afternoon. Have a Great time we sure did!

Old May 30th, 1997, 06:22 AM
chris

I would definately recommend staying at the Excalibur over the stratospher, as mentioned already the neighborhood is not too good, and your down at the end of the strip. Staying at the Excalibur is closer to the action. If you have kids, there is a small theme park in the MGM, the NYNY has a roller coaster. If you have the time and $$, a trip to the grand canyon is great, we drove ourselves, didn't want to take a tour bus, and had a great time.

Old Jun 3rd, 1997, 06:32 AM
Randy Kelley

I'd consider staying at the MGM rather than the
Excalibur. Our March visit to Excalibur was disappointing.
We spent little time in the room, but when we were there,
we wished we had booked across the street at MGM.

Red Rocks park is nice for something close by. I think
you'll soon find that the "family" attractions of Vegas
will wear off soon--Vegas is really not a family vacation
city despite all the propaganda to the contrary. Its base is
still gambling.

Consider driving about 2 hours to St. George, Utah and
continue east from there to Zion National Park. We spent
an entire day there a year ago and loved the park.

Old Jun 7th, 1997, 07:04 AM
Steve Rosenthal

I also believe that a better choice would be at the Excalibur (between Strato .. & Excal). The Strato is too far removed from the better area of the Strip ..

The following URL will provide Canyon info --- it is 270 mi just to the Southern end of the Canyon from Vegas ....... the Northern end excursion can easily add another 6 hrs of travel ...... the Canyon is a serious 'hole' in the ground !!

http://www.arizonaguide.com/clients/...00017/001.html

Old Jun 10th, 1997, 01:10 PM
jeanne

Thanks for the advise. We swithched our hotel to
Excalibur, it seemed unanimous. I lucked out,
when I changed the package the price was only
$50 more for 6 nights hotel. Originally the
difference was several hundred.

Old Jun 12th, 1997, 12:39 PM
Susie Davis

I have stayed at the Excalibur with three friends, and we all loved it. We had great service at a great price. It is really cute inside, with knights in shining armor running around.