Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Las Vegas 1 Day Itinerary without gambling.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

I'll be leaving for Las Vegas on Saturday for a week long conference starting Monday until Friday.

Let me tell you, I'm not at all a gambler so the day and a half (Sat noon to Sunday pm) of free time I had, I originally wanted to rent a car and drive somewhere more my style (Death Valley) but I will also be going to Utah for 10 days after the conference so I thought maybe I should stick around and do some walking in the city to see the sites instead. Mind you, I've been to Vegas several times before and have seen alot of the shows.

Here's my question, what are some non-gambling things you suggest are must sees in Vegas? I'll be staying at The Hotel in Mandalay Bay so that would make me south strip for location, right? Also include please how I should get around besides walking which I'll do, of course.

I know this must've been asked several times before and I have looked at the other threads but I'm sure new stuff has come up.

I would welcome any suggestions.

Thanks!

p.s., I've already booked 2 shows for the week and will be in conferences during the week days and have plans for evenings already. Just looking for stuff to do in that day and 1/2 (Sat and Sun) when I first arrived. Does Manadlay Bay have a good pool area I can lounge in? It doesn't mention it on their website....
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 03:19 PM

Mandalay Bay has one of the best pool facilities on the strip.

http://mandalaybay.com/thingstodo/beach.aspx

I would assume as a guest of THEHotel that you can use their facilities. Besides the busy "beach," there is a more quiet/adult pool area that is great for lounging.

Bodies The Exhibition is in Vegas. We went to the exhibit in NYC about 3 weeks ago. Totally fascinating...although a little creepy.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

beanweb thanks! i didn't know that about mandalay and really, they're website is nice but no info on facilities/amenities.

i wnated to see that exhibit when it was here in Houston! thanks for letting me know. Do you know where it's showing in Vegas? Perfect suggestion!
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 03:32 PM

www.cheapovegas.com has lots of suggestions!
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

Oooops. I guess I wasn't looking at the main site but at the hotel site...duh.

Thanks again beanweb!
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 03:36 PM

I'm from southern Utah and live 2 hours from Vegas. Although I don't go there often, I did make a trip down to see the Bodies exhibit at the Tropicana and it is very fascinating. I'm not really into science a whole lot, but I would highly recommend it too, great exhibit.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Christie. It even says Mandalay has the best pool there - oi!

Will definitely check out the body exhibit!

Anything else? I'll check out the site more too...
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 03:44 PM

Body exhibit is in Tropicana, right?

If you decide to rent a car, have you been to the Valley of Fire? It's a place not to miss!

And please post a report after coming back. I'll be there in May.

Check out Guggenheim in Venetian - rotating art exhibits. Also Bellagio.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 03:50 PM

We always go to Bellagio to see the Conservatory, admire the Chihuly glass ceiling by the check in desk, to enjoy the buffet and admire the fountain show in front. We also usually go to the car museum. I think that is in the Imperial (just down from the Barbary Coast). We love cactus and always have a car so go to the Alan Bible visitor center near Lake Meade. The views of the Lake are awesome.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I do love that ceiling at Bellagio and we have dinner reservations at Olive to sit out on the patio to watch the dancing waters - one of my favorites.

I looked at that link - not much about sights to see that doesn't involve gambling and shows.

Anyone have any other info?
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 08:30 AM

The Titanic exhibit is also at the Tropicana and is an awesome thing to see. There is a really good show at 3:00 in the afternoon at Flamingo - both Sat & Sun - the Society of Seven. They are from Hawaii and put on a great show. Very reasonable prices, too (for the Strip) - about $50-something per person.

Yes, the car museum is at the Imperial Palace.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 09:04 AM

Husband and I just recently returned from Las Vegas; if you click on my name you should be able to find our trip report. We don't gamble, either.

We loved the Bodies exhibit at the Tropicana. It was amazing! We also liked walking around and checking out some of the hotels.

Have a good trip!
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 10:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mandalay Bay also has a very nice spa if you decide to stay in and pamper yourself.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 02:21 PM

That bodies exhibit was here in Dallas recently, but I had NO desire to see real dead bodies. Ugh!

The Hoover Dam tour is great! http://www.usbr.gov/lc/hooverdam/ser...overyTour.html 30 mts by car.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I have done the hoover dam hard hat tour. pretty cool.

Old Apr 13th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Topping. I leave tomorrow. Any other suggestions?
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 08:30 AM

There are a lot of bodies on exhibition in Las Vegas. The dead ones would not be my first choice.

If you're old enough to know who Liberace was, a trip to the museum is a must -- and a hoot.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 01:38 PM

I really like the Guggenheim exhibit at the Venetian. The other thing I've done in the past is the Imax 3d Rides at Luxor, that will definetly kill some time. Thats amazing that you'll be at NAB all week, I only have 24 hours to do as much as possible out there this week, lol.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

Hi All!

Thanks for all the suggestions. Currently in Vegas and WOW, the rooms here at The Hotel with Mandalay bay are AMAZING. Very nice, hip boutique hotel with all suite rooms. I have 2 toilets (a poweder room and the master bathw with a jacuzzi tub and a separate glass enclosed shower. Really nice rooms and the lobby area is really cool too. Come stay here if you get a chance. The prices are not bad if there are no conferences going on.

Ok, I;ve so far gone to Rio's buffet - not that impressive altogether although really yummy alaskan king crabs - all you can eat but it was $26 for the saturday lunch buffet!!!

We then went to see Bodies, the exhibit. WOW. Simply put. I wanted to cry when I got the the babies. I have to say the creepiest thing in there was the display of the skin at the end.

For dinner, we were tired so we ended up eating at The Cafe in The Hotel. The chef is one of those that was in "Top Chef" (the latin girl and sorry but I just can't remember her name right now). It was hit or miss. I had the filet mignon and it was ok. Another person had chicken and the insides were very bland he says. The third person loved his food - salmon on a bed of arugula salad and creamy mashed potatoes with mushroom. I doubt we'll go back there but we were just too tired to worry about it yesterday and it looked good when we walked by on the way out. Oh well, se la vie.

We want to try Aureoles. Can anyone give an opinion? We also want to go by the rum jungle - very cool bar and The Mix at the top floor of The Hotel. WIll let you know how it turns out. We had a work reception tonight at the Luxor so didn't get to try a new restaurant.

Let me know more suggestions! We're also planning on doing the NYNY roller coaster sometime this week along with Bellagio gallery adn gardens. Can anyone say if it's worth doig the eifel tower?

I'll start a new thread too...
Today I took it easy. Spent the day at the Mandalay beach, did a little shopping (poor wallet) and did a little spa treatment at "The Bathouse" here at the hotel.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 03:50 AM

A five hour drive one way, highly recommnend taking historic Route 66 to the Grand Canyon...peaceful slower paced drive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -