Reload this Page >

land's end on treasure island?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 03:36 PM
winston

Has anyone stayed at Land's End on Tresure Island? Any good places to eat around the area? We are vacationing in April with 2 pre teen kids. Beside Busch Gardens what other fun activities are in the area? Thanks!!

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 03:33 AM
joan

Haven't actually stayed there, but I live within walking distance, and my brother rented a very nice condo there for two weeks a couple years ago. Of course, the units are individually owned, so you don't know the quality til you open the door, but the complex is upscale, clean, well-landscaped, and located in a great place - at the south end of Sunset Beach (the south end of TI). Almost every unit has a water view, since you have the Gulf on one side and the intracoastal on the other (and a public boardwalk surrounds the property = good fishing). If your unit faces east, you may hear music from nearby bars at night, but should be pleasant and finished by midnight.

There's lots of good places to eat in the area - do a search for "St. Pete Beach food" and you'll see a week-old thread where I listed all my favorites. (Including my own place, for which I got blistered, but my recs still stand!) Another restaurant on TI that I forgot is a new place called Karim's Bistro...located in the Thunderbird motel, the food was fabulous, seafood and middle Eastern dishes like couscous and lamb. mmmmm!

Besides Busch Gardens, try going to John's Pass, (north end of TI across bridge) - there's a souvenir shopping boardwalk there, and you can go out on fishing excursions, rent jet-skis, or take a sunset sail. Or you could go to the big hotels on St. Pete Beach, a couple minutes south, and give para-sailing a try! For shopping and dining, give Baywalk a try, downtown St. Pete, near the pier. Have fun - April is a great time here!

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 05:03 AM
L

Hi, Joan - we were never able to find your posting about your place. Why not give it one more time, on this thread, and we'll try it next time in TI - I wouldn't worry about being blistered - happens to all of us sometime. So, the name and address would be terrific, but if you'd prefer not to, will understand. Ciao, L

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 05:29 AM
TTT

TTT

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 12:05 PM
joan

Hi Leone! How are you feeling?
Your thread about getting sick on shrimp came on the heels of my "blistering" so I didn't wanna go there just yet...anyway, below is the response I made to questions about my place. I even mentioned you because you had asked about it!

Anyway, what did you think of the new clock tower (paid for with your newly increased property taxes)? Didn't you just wanna park your butt there all day long and hear every single song coming over the carillon???

Hope you had a good vacation despite the bad shrimp. I'm dying to know where you ate. If you want, you can email me at joanleak(AT)hotmail.com

Thanks for backing me up anyway! (And sorry I didn't get to meet you and Olive yet -- but that day will come!)

Author: joan ([email protected])
Date: 01/17/2002, 03:52 pm
Ok, Ok, here goes a shameless plug for myself: (hey after two years posting here this is my first one -- Leone are you listening?)

My place is called Mid Peninsula Seafood. Yes, we pack shrimp for travel (your cooler or ours) in addition to other hometown specialties like stone crabs, alligator, conch, oysters (the best fried oyster you ever ate!), and my husband makes great smoked fish spread in several flavors. We do lots of takeout, and picnic tables for dine in. We're located on 49th Street in St. Pete, at the eastern border of Gulfport, an adorable little town with more good restaurants. The name is Mid Peninsula Seafood, here's a review in our local newspaper from February (we are very family-friendly):
http://www.sptimes.com/News/022101/Taste/Diners_reel_in_a_grea.shtml

Anyway, IF you get a car, you can visit my other favorites:
Backfin Blue in Gulfport. get the corn chowder - there's a big lump of crabmeat in the center..aaah
Salt Rock in Indian Rocks Beach, dressy, or Guppy's in the same town, casual.
And for great steaks, JK, Spoto's Steak Joint in St. Petersburg on Park Street, although they have a great tuna rare too!

And yes, Crabby Bill's was the one to stay away from. The Hurricane has gone way downhill, and my girlfriend was there yesterday with some out-of-towners: no grouper! Hope you enjoy - say hello to Don or Joan if you stop in my place!

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 12:13 PM
Leone

Joan, you will not believe this, but the new clock tower is just the thing to dress up 107th - LOL. We saw the kites at the Bilmar - what a grand spectacle. And dined on some very fab fried chicken at the R-Bar on 108th - we fit right in with the locals. And afterward, some dancing at Captain K's (yes, I know, you disapprove, but they have a great new band, and it was a bit more of an upscale crowd than usual). I will come to your shrimp place in April when I'm down next - thanks for the information (I thought that might be your place - have seen it on the web, I believe). By the way, if you drive by 50 78th Ave., that's where I'll be hanging out one of these days - the fading brown thing on the corner. You're probably quite close. I'm thinking about getting involved in local politics and having some fun. Take care, and of course, ciao. And you may get an e-mail from me before too long. Yep, Olive was out of town this time ... you guys need to share a beer and poppers over at Woodys sometime. All three of us, and we can laugh about all the messages on Fodors. Take care, and again, ciao.