Search

Lanai or Molokai

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 03:13 PM
Diane

Lanai or Molokai

Has anyone been to Lanai or Molalkai (Sp?) We will be on Maui in March fro 12 days and were wondering if it is worth it to take a day trip to the other islands in that area. Thanks

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 03:34 PM
Deborah

I've been to Molokai. It's very quiet and really not much to do there unless you just want to go to the beach or drive around the island. The beach is lovely though, I believe it's called 7 mile beach. When I was there, there were only 3 of us!!! You can also take the mule ride to the leper colony or hike there with special permission. That would take a special permit and al lot of courage. It's straight down!! I think Lanai is about the same, quiet with a pineapple company there and maybe 2 resorts. I did enjoy my stay on Molokai, so if you want quiet, then definitely go. It's inexpensive to fly inter-island. I believe Aloha gives AAA discounts.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 09:38 PM
Melissa

Going to Oahu, Kauai, or the Big Island is about a 20 minute plane ride; I can't remember how long it takes to get to Molokai or Lanai from Maui. But they are all short rides so if that was your concern, don't worry.

Both Lanai and Molokai are very quiet islands with not a lot to do. In fact, when I was on Molokai a couple of years ago, the loudest thing was my breath--the silence was really deafeaning! But Deborah gives some good advice, do explore the rural activities. If you like to golf, Lanai is a good place.

If you decide you want an island with more to see & do, try Oahu or even the Big Island.

For more info on each island you can try www.gohawaii.com

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 10:55 PM
Ron

Diane, if it's possible to change your plans I would stay 6 on Maui and 6 on Kauai. However, if you're the type who needs A LOT of nightlife, then choose 6 on Oahu instead. If you can't change your plans and find yourselves getting "antsy," then by all means, take a day trip over to Kauai and/or Oahu (GREAT scenery on the Eastern side of Oahu, away from Waikiki). If you're not interested in the hussle/bustle of Oahu, then Kauai and the Big Island. If only ONE island, then Kauai! I would definitely avoid Lanai and Molokai!!

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 05:08 AM
Deanna

I would forget about visiting Molokai. I agree that one beach is nice but you can not swim there because it is too rough and it is impossible to walk on it. The sand is so soft that it is hard to take a few steps

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 09:30 AM
Patty

We've taken a day trip to Lanai from Maui. If I remember correctly, it was about a 45 min ferry ride. We rented a jeep (expensive but necessary since there are very few paved roads) and went all over the island... shipwreck beach, garden of the gods, and ended the day at Holupoe beach (beautiful beach and not crowded). Had a great day but decided that we probably wouldn't want to stay on the island for an extended amount of time.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 09:42 AM
Sidney

Okay here I go again! The resident "expert" on Hawaii will give you the facts and then you decide.

First, do NOT change your plans and go 6 days Maui and 6 days Kauai. That would be a BIG mistake. It is a mistake a number of first time travelers to Hawaii make. You can do day trips to other islands but go the route of 3 days here and 4 days there. You spend ALL your time packing/unpacking, returning/picking up rental cars, checking in/out of hotels, yada yada yada. Maui is a perfectr place for twelve days. You can do something different on Maui each day and still not get to see everything you want to see.

Lanai has two great golf courses and resorts. People go over for a meal or to play golf. A little pricey for what you get (considering you are on Maui!). Molokai has a different experience. Real ranch countery and very very rural. If you want to see no one then go there. Again, there is a myriad of things to do on Maui.

Case solved. You are welcome.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 12:34 PM
Ray

Justine, I think Sidney always has given sound advice and is thorough in his posts. I don't know what defines an expert but Sidney is as close as this board can get in regards to Hawaii questions. He has been here a long time and many "fans" of which I am one.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 01:19 PM
Sarah

wow I have been posting on Hawaii for 2 years I don't recall every seeing a Sydney post.

I don't like hoping around Diane but I think I would get antsy on Maui for 12 days. I have never explored the many hiking trails on that island though. I would take a couple of nights on Molokai. I think the stars must be incredible on a clear night. They also have the highest sea cliffs in the world. Never been I have heard mixed reviews. Residents have told me that you do get a taste of old hawaii here. Underdeveloped when comparing to the other islands. I have also seen stunning turn of the century pictures.

Last it would be hard for me not to go to the big island if the volcano is flowing when you are your trip. you want to catch a night flow though so no hoping over for an evening return, not worth it as far as I can see.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 02:15 PM
Patty

Sarah,
I was just going to say the same thing. I've been on the Hawaii board for a while too and today's the first time I've seen a post from Sidney.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 02:22 PM
Bobo

I must be in a time warp. I have posted on this board for about 6 months and have seen numerous Sidney/Hawaii posts. He seems pretty geared towards Maui but I have found his posts accurate and informative. He seems to have alot to share and does so generously.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 02:33 PM
Justme

With every post he makes Sidney, announces that he is the resident expert on Hawaii. Is this sharing information generously ?

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 10:29 PM
Ron

Actually, Sidney, you are dead WRONG! If you're going to be on an island for 6 days, then there is virtually NOT that much time spent "unpacking/packing," the "rental car," etc. Stop acting like it's the biggest burden in the world when it really isn't, especially with the convenience -- and short flights -- of lsland hopping! Yes, you can certainly spend 12 days on Maui, IF you're an extremely active person who needs to be on the "go" every single day, but for most people, who just want to lounge around the beach and perhaps drive around the island and enjoy the scenery and make a few stops, etc., 6 days is PLENTY of time to do so! So naturally, I will stick with my original advice about the 6/6 split!! It would be PERFECT for what she's seeking!!

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 11:21 PM
Melissa

Hmm, I live in Hawaii and have never seen Sidney.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 01:25 PM
Sidney

A few replies are in order. First, I have been posting for many months and have recieved significant positive feedback as well as thanks for advice. It is not my responsibility to notify everyone when I post---if you read the board on a daily basis then you will know me. If you have taken my advice (or know a thing or two about Hawaii) you will regard me as an expert. Are others as competent? Everyone has an opinion and I respect that; I have yet to see anyone else post with the detail, accuracy, insight and wit regarding Hawaii on a consistent basis as I have. Facts are facts.

To Melissa (above)-reread your post, dear. How can we take you seriously? You know everyone on Hawaii?

To Ron. You continue to give advice that will not assist the original poster. Please!! If you have done this as long as I have--and know Hawaii as well as I do- you would know that one island with day side trips is the answer. Ron, reread your thoughts before posting! Maui is a great place if you want to relax and do nothing on the beach for 12 days! Why lose a day in travel and related work (check out/in, car rental return/pick up, packing/unpacking, etc) when you have it all at your fingertips? IT MAKES NO SENSE. Maui is also the place for the active person--multiple options every day for 45 days (much less 12) without repeating yourself. Also the best dining is on Maui.

Ron, you need to think things through. Consider taking a smaller area to offer advice on (Vermont? Molokai and only Molokai, etc) and refine your skills. I'll help by critiquing or other advice if you like. This board needs better posters and I am pulling for you Ron. And everyone else too!!!!!

You're welcome.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 01:43 PM
xxx

Let us all bow down to Sidney's infinite wisdom!

Is anyone really taking this guy seriously? His posts are cracking me up!

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 02:00 PM
Curious

Just out of curiosity, I did a search for Sidney under the Hawaii board. It appears that our resident troll, oops I meant expert, has only made a handful of posts. This particular one below overwhelms me with its detail, accuracy, insight, and wit.

Author: Sidney ([email protected])
Date: 12/27/2002, 05:21 pm
Message: Being the resident "expert" on Hawaii I thought I would chime in and agree with Colleen's post above.

The Ritz carlton Kapalua is where you want to stay. Kapalua Bay Resort would be a second choice. I like the rrITZ MORE.

nOW YOUR PROBLEM IS SOLVED.
nEXT?

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 02:38 PM
scigirl

Hi Diane - If you are to make a day trip, I'd suggest another island. I've taken one (4 day) trip to Lanai. Although I was entertained for 4 days there really isn't a ton to see - some hiking, two fancy resorts, a town of about 2 blocks in length - it is mostly a place to completely lounge around (and the beaches are better on other islands). Apparently Lanai does have a spectacular golf course. BTW - renting a jeep on Lanai (regular car won't work on the unpaved roads) will cost about $150 without insurance for one day.

I haven't (yet) made it to Molokai. But - if you were to make a side trip, I'd suggest spending a few days on another island. (Ok - 12 days on Maui would be great. Depending on the pace you like to set you could easily fill your time without going to another island). However - if you do decide to take a side trip I'd recommend more than just one day - maybe 2-3 minimum - my first suggestion would be the Big Island, then Kauai or Oahu (depending on your interests).

Since all interisland flights are short in duration and about the same cost you don't need to limit yourself to Lanai and Molokai just because they are close to Maui. (Of course, if you want to go buy boat rather than plane then those islands are your only choices).

In 12 days you can't see everything on Maui. I've lived on Oahu for 4 years and still haven't seen everything here - and certainly haven't throughly covered the other islands. But - there is something to be said for a trip to another island to see some major sites (like the Volcano!) when you have 12 days of vacation.

Either way - have a great trip!

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 10:50 PM
Ron

Sidney, once again, I must vehemently disagree with you! You state, and I quote, "you would know that one island with day side trips is the answer." Side trips is the answer?!? I DON'T think so, Sidney!! First, there you are, ranting and raving about unpacking and rental cars, etc., while on the other hand you feel that it's oh-so-easy to take a side trip! If she's going to go through the hassle of traveling to the airport and catch a flight to another island for just ONE day (a WASTE!), then she might as well plan on STAYING for a few days as well! Otherwise, THAT is a big waste of time and energy as far as I'm concerned!! Ditto even for the boat trip over to Lanai which is definitely a BIG waste of time as there is NOTHING there worth seeing in MY opinion (and I stayed at the Manele Bay)!

You are NOT welcome!!

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 03:35 AM
Hanna

I agree with Ron about a day trip. If you're planning a day trip why not just go there and stay for a few days.
We been to both Molokai and Lanal and I rather go to Kauai or Big Island where is so much to see and do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -