Search

Lakes Near Portland, Maine - August 2024

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2023, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lakes Near Portland, Maine - August 2024

Hi All,

We just stayed at one of the smaller lakes in Oxford county this past June (2023). It had been quite rainy and the mosquitoes were pretty bad, but not bad enough to prevent us from enjoying ourselves. We are thinking about a similar stay in August 2024 but worry the mosquitoes may be worse in August. I'd love some feedback on how bad mosquitos are in this part of Maine in August. I am sure they wouldn't be as bad along the coast but we'd want to stay somewhere that has easy swimming access and I understand that Maine's oceanic waters are quite cold, even in August.

Are the mosquitos prohibitively bad in August? Any advise would help as I am planning a trip for upwards of 25+ people and will feel horrible if I don't adequately detail the potential.
Old Jul 5th, 2023, 08:51 AM
J62

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WorminRome

Are the mosquitos prohibitively bad in August?
Anywhere that is near standing water, yes, they are.

That includes any low lying/swampy or damp areas even quite near the coast. The only place I've experienced mosquito light in ME is literally right on the ocean where there is a steady stiff breeze. The biggest variable is the weather for a week or 2 before your trip. If it has been dry then mosquito #s will be down. If there has been a lot of rain, hold on to pets and small children, as the bugs are big enough to carry them away.

Personally, I find the salt water in August quite enjoyable, but others find it too cold to even put a toe in the same water.
You might want to look for somewhere on a bay, cove, or inlet.

These 2 places in Boothbay Harbor may fit your need (depending on your budget....)
Linekin bay resort, Spruce Point, and the newly remodeled Ocean Point Inn.
All 3 have pools and lots of water sports activities such as kayaks.

The water near Linekin bay will be at least a few degrees warmer than Ocean Point. I can (and do) swim near Linekin Bay all day long. Ocean Point I'm good for a plunge...

There are similar properties on other peninsulas in the mid-coast area.