Search

Best Places to Kayak on Maui?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2003, 10:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Places to Kayak on Maui?

Hi there!!

We will be on Maui July 20-25, staying at the Four Seasons.

We love the water, and would like to do some kayaking on our own (or even with a tour), and hopefully combine that with some great snorkeling.

What areas in Maui would you recommend as the best for kayaking and snorkeling?

Thanks so much!!
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

just topping for a reply!! :0
Old May 1st, 2003, 10:09 AM

ttt- I was hoping someone might have an answer to this question. I'd like to know also.
Old May 1st, 2003, 10:32 AM

Lots of kayakers coming in and out of The Fishbowl while I was snorkeling there. Not sure where else they were kayaking or even the company....sorry!
Old May 1st, 2003, 12:24 PM

www.paddling.net may have some leads for you.
Old May 1st, 2003, 10:06 PM

Unless you've had some ocean kayaking experience before, I would strongly recommend you get a guided tour instead of going out on your own. No matter how strong you consider yourselves, you could face some strong currents, especially in the afternoon when the tradewinds kick in making it very difficult to paddle back to shore.

There's plenty of kayak tours (just do a web search), they're all similarily priced, and most start from 6-7am at La Perouse Bay which isn't too far from the 4S Wailea. Most tours generally last 4-5 hours. Obviously, other options are available. And the guides will take you to the best snorkeling spots (Aquarium and Fishbowl), which would be more difficult to locate on your own.

It might be considered expensive taking a guided kayaking tour, but when I compared it to beginners' classes and rental for ocean kayaking in So Cal where I live, it's most definitely worth the money.

There's plenty of good snorkel spots in the Wailea area. But definitely check out other snorkeling locales like Black Rock (Kaanapali) and Honolua Bay (north of Kapalua) which was my favorite. But it all depends on the weather.

Here's some links you might find useful:
http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/maulinks.html
http://www.maui-vacation.net/snorkelmap.html
Old May 2nd, 2003, 04:22 PM
gyppielou

You can rent kayaks right there. Saw lots of turtles....go in the morning though before the trade winds kick up. If you try it for an hour and like it then you could consider going on a guided trip later on your stay.

Old May 2nd, 2003, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Right now in Maui the State is taking a close look at kayak companies working out of La Perouse Bay.
The area is partly in a nature preserve and the state and the feds have clout.
Try to book with a company that at least claims to be friendly to the environment.
Trash and traffic, plus damage to the coral from dragging the boats in and out, is the root cause of the problem.
Old May 6th, 2003, 04:49 PM

La Perouse Bay - but there have been numerous reports within the last few months about kayaking accidents, rescues, etc. from that area. Proceed with caution! (I would probably go with a very reputable kayaking group). I've used South Pacific Kayaks to go to this area - they seem to know what they're doing - but it's been a few years since I've done the kayak thing in this area.