Lake Lure

Feb 21st, 2006, 12:21 PM
iceeu2

Lake Lure

I think we may drive over to the Lake Lure area and do a tour of the dream home in a couple of three weeks or so.

Anyone stayed at Foxrun Townhouses? What's your opinion. I understand they are difficult to find.

What's the best places for casual dining near Foxrun? What about shopping? Is the Lake Lure/Hendersonville area where the place is that makes all those cute pillows with the sayings on them? And, if I'm thinking of the right place, is there an outlet store?

Any advice appreciated!

Feb 21st, 2006, 12:35 PM

I am not familiar w/those particular townhomes but most of the places to stay like that (in that area) are usually golf course affiliated. I know of several B & B's I would suggest or even cottages. This time of year I would probably stay in Chimney Rock. The Point of View would be the place I would choose to dine, near the end of the Lake. You'll most likely need to venture into Asheville for any significant shopping, although I am not the right person to ask. Try the Gaestehaus Salzburg, Wicklow Inn or Fibber McGees if you aren't locked into Fox Run. The Lodge @ Lake Lure looks nice but last time we were there it was not in the best of shape. It appears it has been renovated now, though I can't speak to its current condition. Also try rutherfordtourism.com.
Feb 21st, 2006, 06:17 PM

"Is the Lake Lure/Hendersonville area where the place is that makes all those cute pillows with the sayings on them? And, if I'm thinking of the right place, is there an outlet store?"

You're thinking of Manual Woodworkers and Weavers. They do have a retail outlet, on US 74-A between Asheville and Lake Lure (probably about 5-7 miles west of Lake Lure).
Feb 21st, 2006, 06:50 PM

i2, if you haven't seen this webpage, it is very informative -

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/pac_ctnt_98..._40822,00.html

Good to check, because certain dates have been cancelled in Feb.

There's a link on that page to nearby lodging.

Have fun. I hope to be able to get up there before the tours end.

PS - You KNOW what I thought when I read the title of this thread
Feb 21st, 2006, 07:13 PM

iceeu!!
Picture Scarlett, a wee girl , happy to sit home in the summer and talk to Boys.
Her parents think it would be a good idea to send her to Camp.
The Camp was called LureCrest, on Lake Lure, where they filmed Dirty Dancing ...
Now they have built a dream home there..can you imagine if I won it??
Would I want it? I have no good memories of being tossed into that Lake, I can tell you!
LOL
Feb 21st, 2006, 07:17 PM

Yeah, but that's because it wasn't Patrick Swayze doing the tossing!

(Spelling police - my apologies in advance if I misspelled his name)
Feb 22nd, 2006, 05:53 AM
iceeu2

From reading the info about the home tours, it does not appear that reservations can be made. Bet you would have to get there pretty early on weekends, wouldn't you?

If anyone goes, let me know.....and if I win....we will have a huge(as in really big) gathering! Scarlett, you will absolutely have to come, dahlink!

starrsville, you ever been to that pillow place?

Feb 22nd, 2006, 10:40 AM
iceeu2

starrsville, do you think this will be near sporting events? If it's not, I may just have to decline my win of the dream home!!

Feb 22nd, 2006, 12:34 PM
GoTravel

icee2, so you can take your 8 year old and your 4 year old? LOL!

Mr.GoTravel was running a restaurant group out of that area and the cast and crew from Dirty Dancing used to come in to one of his restaurants up there and party like crazy people. He said Patrick Swayze only came up to his waist (but we do know Mr.GoTravel is 6'5").

Feb 22nd, 2006, 01:43 PM
iceeu2

I knew the kid hater would be here for an invite!!!!!

Feb 22nd, 2006, 01:52 PM

Dang, hide your kids. The non-kid-friendly folks are out again!
Feb 23rd, 2006, 07:12 PM

No, i2, I don't know the pillow place, but I'm going to check it out!
Feb 24th, 2006, 11:25 AM

If I win that house (yes, I entered the contest), I plan on picking out the furnishings that I like in the house, then flipping it in order to pay off the taxes that will be due (which will be in the hundreds of thousands). Then with whatever is left I'll build my own "dream home" somewhere else.
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:11 PM
bwg

Have never been to this area, are restaurants , shops, etc. open end of Feb/March?
Thanks!
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:13 PM

Yes there are plenty of shops and restaurants open. A few have closed and will not open till spring, but you will not starve. Also, there is Chimney Rock Park, great place to hike with incredible views. Let me know if you need help finding a place to stay or advice. I just love Lake Lure, it is my every day stomping grounds. I am a very lucky person.
Jan 6th, 2008, 08:36 PM
maj

Traci

Where is a good place to stay with a dog in that area?
Jan 7th, 2008, 02:55 PM

Well, I know that there are many houses for rent that allow pets. There are some incredible chalets on the water, or log cabins with mountain and lake views. Would you be interested in a house or do you want me to check around about a hotel that will allow pets? If a house will suit you, I am sure I can help find you something.
Jan 8th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Brutforce

There are tons of houses right on Lake Lure, try vrbo.com for starters. You should be able to negotiate a good rate for the time of year you are seeking. There is also a new(er) grocery as you are entering Lake Lure (a Lowes or Food LIon or something) which also makes shopping much easier than in the past.

Jan 8th, 2008, 10:50 AM

Yes, we have a new Ingles Grocery store, with a deli, bakery, pharmacy, movie rental, and carry great organic meats and vegetables. We will never a McDonalds or Starbucks, but we have a great grocery store and local restaurants. Let me know if you can not find anything on VRBO, there are plenty of other places to search.
Jan 9th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Brutforce

Thx Traci, I could not remember waht that store was. I forget about all the Ingles in the western portion of the state. Makes traveling over your way much easier since we typically rent cabins.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO