Search

Lake land Florida?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lake land Florida?

Where exactly is this place? Is it worth visiting, or moving to?
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 05:29 PM

First of all, it's one word -- Lakeland, the name of a smallish city not far from Tampa. Worth visiting or moving to? Well, it's a typical inland Florida town, but it does have a beautiful university campus there -mostly Frank Lloyd Wright buildings, so there is also quite a bit of cultural and university attraction. Not much else, frankly. Now let me ask. How did you arrive at this question?
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 05:29 PM

It's about halfway between World Disney World and Tampa, on I-4. I don't think there's anything worth visiting there, but there are a lot of new houses there, just like many parts of Florida. Only about 35 miles from Downtown Tampa.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

A co-worker of my wife (we are from Massachusetts) a lifelong resident of Mass has announced he is selling his house, quitting his job, leaving his family, friends and acquaintences to move to Lakeland.

We can't discuss it openly because he has not submitted his resignation yet. He and his wife took a week there about a month ago at the suggestion of a friend. They were so impressed they bought land right then.

We are just wondering what may have impressed them somuch about the area?
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 06:27 PM

Let's see now. They left Mass. in the snow, ice, winds, and dismal skies where he was busy working in a job he apparently didn't love to go to Florida basking in the 70's sunshine on vacation. Yea, I wonder what made them love the place?
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 06:49 PM

I spent some very formative years in Lakeland, though 40 years ago. I returned recently for a funeral of a friends dads. I drove around where I used to live, off Lake Hollingsworth where the college is that patrick mentioned. It was really beautiful. And there are some wonderful old homes there that you can get for a song. I suppose it would be a nice place to retire to. But you must tell your friend that no matter how much it seems to grow, Lakeland still has the worst selection of restaurants of any city of its size. Just horrendous food. And there is some wealth there so it doesn't make much sense (except that all the wealthy people eat at the Yacht Club on Lake Hollingsworth).

When I lived in Lakeland it was the same size as Orlando. No one imagined what would happen...
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Patrick: I will agree with you that Florida can be very attractive to Mass. residents during our long, cold winter. However I would like to point out some negatives with your state:

Florida is unbearably hot in Summer and smack-dab in the middle of the Atlantic Hurricane tracks.

You are full of foreign-born and old-people and probably related to this have the country's worst drivers (which is documented on this forum).

Your voting-standards and Spring-break partying are a national disgrace and your National Park is a swamp.

The 2000 census shows that you lead Mass. 10-1 in least safe cities and your in the bottom group of least educated states.

And if all that is not enough, you are the guys who trained the 9/11 terrorist how to fly the planes.
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 03:42 AM

Let's not forget poisonous snakes, poisonous spiders,fire ants and geckos running all over the place. I leave in two weeks for Lakeland to visit family. Out of 50 states they had to choose Florida to move to. However, I will add that they love it down there. To each his own.
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 03:44 AM

I never thought I would be defending Lakeland but here it goes.

Is it hot in the summer? Yes it is but we have nice thundershowers for about 1-2 hours that cool it off and makes for gorgeous sunsets. Hot summer or freezing/hellish winters? I'll take the summer.

Smack dab in the line for hurricanes? The Tampa/Lakeland area hasn't had a direct hit since 1985 and to be honest, it was not as bad as some that hit North/South Carolina. As long as people keep thinking that the Tampa area is prone to hurricanes, that's fine with me - less people moving here???

Full of foreign-born and old people? Gee wonder where those old people are from? Mass/NY/CT, etc. etc. We don't just grow them in the orange groves here. Foreign born? Yes of course but so do a lot of places in the States. You are saying there is no one foreign born in Mass.?

I'll agree with everyone that the 2000 election made us look like real dopes but then again, you have Ted Kennedy as a senator. (had to jab)

Spring Break partying? I hate to tell you but most have moved to Mexico. Where do the Spring Breakers come from anyways? Up north somewhere surely....

Our National Park is a swamp? Once again, you don't have all the information. We have more than one National Park in the state of Florida. We have three parks, two perserves, and two seashores.

I will agree that we have LOTS of work to do in the area of education.

The comment about being the training ground for the 9/11 terrorists is just sick. That would be if someone hated Logan Airport because one of the planes left from there.

I hope your wife's co-worker is a little more pleasant than you seem to be when they move down here.

Geez.
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 04:27 AM

Gene, I have to think you brought up this thread just to have a forum for your spew about Florida. I'm wondering if you are one of those insular New Englanders that never ventures beyond Cape Cod.

I know Mass. people who never leave their state and are proud of it. More power to them. There are many foreign born people most states now, including yours. Boston traditionally was home to many immigrants who were reviled in their time: Irish, Italian, now Haitians. Multiculturalism is here to stay, get over it.

For someone from a state where education is honored, you seem amazingly ignorant.

LMF
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 04:32 AM

Tandoori Girl: I have eaten at the Hollingsworth Yacht Club and it was typical white-bread boring food. Isn't Lakeland home to Publix? Pretty town, pretty lake, pretty dull but things are changing rapidly in Florida. LMF
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 04:40 AM
OliveOyl

It looks like MA has poisonous snakes too!

Old Mar 27th, 2004, 05:39 AM

Gene doesn't seem to approve of his wife's co-worker's decision to leave "civilization" in Gene's part of MA, let alone move to Florida. It may be, however, that his wife's coworker has had too much contact with Gene at office parties and thought it worth looking into the move.
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 07:52 AM

LMF, I never had anything but french fries and hamburgers at the club. I'm glad you've set my mind at ease that I wasn't missing anything when my parents would leave me at home to fight with my brothers. Those Publix people (the Jenkins) lived just around the Lake.

Gene, I'm sure you're wondering where you should retire. Is that's what's going on? We really don't care if you retire here, one less whiner to have to listen to, but don't you want to leave those awful winters behind? Not to mention those stuffy snobs in Boston. How bout it?

Old Mar 27th, 2004, 08:48 AM

TandooriGirl, you aren't helping improve the tone here.... ;-)
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 12:50 PM
GoTravel

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I though Lakeland Florida was were all the big time PGA golfers lived?

Old Mar 27th, 2004, 01:33 PM

Gene, this article was in today's Tampa Tribune: www.tampatrib.com/MGAEH6A2BSD.html

Look's like your buddy might be onto something.

There are gorgeous older golf courses in Lakeland, a notable one is Lone Palm Golf and Country Club.
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 02:40 PM

Go Travel: I think you are thinking of Isleworth. Home of the Shak, Tiger Woods, and lots of others. It is a small gated community very near Windermere in Orlando area on the Butler chain of lakes. It is a lovely area with clear lakes and Cypress stands and rolling hills. One morning visiting a friend we met Shackiel (sp?) ONeal on his morniing run. We let our dogs play and he was on his way. very nice place.
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 04:39 PM
OliveOyl

Thank you LMF! We were trying to think of the name. Knew it was Orlando and my husband was saying, "starts with w, maybe windermere", then he said "No, that's where we stayed in the Lake District". LOL He was right on both counts.

Lakeland does have a great medical facility, one our executive committee all use for their physicals, despite the hour drive. One stop shopping, head to toe.

Gene has done nothing to diminish FL, only MA...MY home state too, Gene. Enough of the bad already leaks out...you don't need to add exclamation points!

Old Mar 27th, 2004, 05:31 PM
GoTravel

Thanks LMF! I knew someone would set me straight.

A useless piece of trivia. I was watching MTV's Cribs (insomnia) and the pool area at Shaquille O'neil's house is called "ShaquApulco".