Search

PIKE'S PEAK

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2003, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PIKE'S PEAK

We are going to Colorado Springs in September, we are planning to ride the tram up Pike's Peak. Any suggestions on what time of day or day of week is best? Is it true you don't have very long to look around before you HAVE to return??? Anything else worth seeing in that area?
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 10:18 AM

No suggestion for what day to do the Pikes Peak tram, but do have a suggestion for something else to do whilst in the neighborhood..... Manitou Cliff Dwellings. Manitou Cliff Dwellings are similiar (but much smaller) to the cliff dwellings at Mesa Verde. There is a nice museum on property as well. Manitou Cliff Dwellings are along the road between Colorado Springs and the road to the top of Pikes Peak. I don't know where the tram ride begins, so can't tell you where they are in relation to each other. Also in the area is Cripple Creek and further south near Canon City is the Royal Gorge Bridge, which is over a thousand feet above the Arkansas River.
Keith
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 10:28 AM

We were just there over Memorial Day and highly recommend the tram-just make your reservations in advance and it doesn't matter what day. I think it's called the Pikes Peak railway. WE also liked 7 Falls alot. It's beautiful and located close to the Broadmoor. Also Garden of the Gods was good to see but very crowded on a weekend.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 11:17 AM

My theory on the tram was to take it in the afternoon, thinking if there was morning fog etc... it would have time to clear. Ended up taking the second train in the a.m. (9ish) and that worked out well. It really started clouding up on our way down. So much for my theory! I'm not sure there is a best time/day, but do make sure you make reservations. We tried when we arrived and couldn't get a train that day, but this was in July. I don't recall the exact amount of time I think we had between 30-40 minutes up top. It was plenty of time. Garden of the Gods and Cave of the Winds were fun.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 12:01 PM

Afternoon thunderstorms are an almost daily occurence in mid-late summer. Perhaps by the time you are there the "Monsoon Season" will be over, but I would still go up in the morning.

I have friends who live in Woodland Park, and we've sat out in the evening watching some very impressive electrical storms swirl around Pikes Peak.

Storms can come up quickly in the mountains, and being above treeline during an electrical storm is NOT a good idea.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 05:53 PM
CF

We were thinking of doing this in Sept. The literature I got on the train trip said you spend something like an hour at the top.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 12:30 PM

An hour at the top is plenty. There isn't anything to do other than enjoy the view and look around the shop/cafe. I can't remember how much time we had when we took the ride a couple of years ago, but I wasn't disappointed to get back on the train.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 03:04 PM

Be sure to buy donuts. Baked goods at 14,000ft have a unique taste.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 03:26 PM
CF

Unique good or unique bad? LOL
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 04:14 PM

The Pike's Peak Cog Railway departs from Manitou Springs which is just about 20 minutes from Colorado Springs. Be sure to take a jacket as temperatures at the top can be 20 - 30 degrees lower than in Colo Spgs. If you want to visit the AF Academy, there is still a 'No Visitors' policy. However, there are 2 exceptions: 1) An authorized tour group (check locally), or 2) Go with a friend who is an active duty or retired military. They can get you on base as your 'sponsor'.