Search

Laguna Beach info

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 07:05 AM
Susan

Laguna Beach info

Well, our family has finally decided on a locale to celebrate my mother's 80th birthday. We had to put it to a vote, I was hoping for Yosemite ;-), and Laguna came out on top. We are booking rooms at the Capri Laguna and I'd love any comments on that choice. We chose it because it is on the beach and more affordable than the Surf and Sand (working with a range of budgets here). I'd love suggestions on activities for a wide range of ages (7 to 80!) and restaurant recommendations. Especially looking for that special place to take a group for her BIG night.

Apparently we are going to be there during the Pageant of the Masters. How impossible is it to get tickets? Is this something kids would enjoy?

Thanks for any and all info!

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 09:46 AM
xxx

Pageant of the Masters - i have not personally been but i hear it is very good. contact laguna touris agency to find out how to get tickets. traffic will be horrible so take that into consideration if driving somewhere.
south of there at carlsbad is "legoland" which is suppose to be really good for kids about 9 and under. san diego is only about 1 1/4 hours from there so there's lots to do there if people want to venture out.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 10:31 AM
x

Pagent of the Masters is a wonderful program, but probably wouldn't appeal to the younger members of your group.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 01:23 PM
Susan

Thanks x and xxx. We are planning on doing Legoland one day with the kids and a contingent of us will go to Catalina Island for a day. Anyone else have word on the Capri Laguna or restaurant recommendations or anything else? Thanks again!

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 01:48 PM
David

Susan,

As I'm sure you've already heard, be prepared for parking nightmares during POTM. That said, however, My father lives in that area and goes every year; he says it's fantastic

By the way, if you're going to Catalina, you can catch the boat just down the road from Laguna in Dana Point... Much closer than driving all the way to Long Beach or San Pedro.

Have fun,

Davidcs

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 03:22 PM
Nan

Capri Laguna is a little run down, but the more expensive rooms have nice views. It is wooden and a little weather beaten with steps down to the sand. If your group isn't overly picky it should be fine. It has parking on the grounds, self park. There are trolleys during the pageant that will take you all over Laguna, so you can leave your cars parked. I think the pageant would be enjoyable for the whole family, we have taken my son since he was about 8. It is good to expose them to the nicer things in life, not rough housing all the time.
You can go right next door and eat at the surf and sand on the birthday.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 03:48 PM
Susan

David and Nan, thank you. Nan, I gathered from their website pictures that the Capri Laguna had that "beach weathered" thing going for it. The appeal lies in the fact it is on the beach and they have barbeques we can use for a group dinner one night. I'm relieved to hear there will be trolleys to take us around and we won't have to hassle with the parking nightmare. We'll definitely catch the ferry at Dana Point to Catalina Island. I read there is a high speed ferry that gets you there in 90 minutes.

Nan, tell me more about the POTM. I found the website to buy tickets and there are $20 tickets pretty much in the back. Do you think it's worth it? Also, how about the Sawdust Festival? Looks kid friendly. Is it very crowded on midweek days?

Any other restaurant recommendations for groups would be appreciated too.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 03:52 PM
JIP

Laguna Beach is lovely in the summer. The traffic will be intense on this two lane, winding road, ocean to one side as you travel up and down hill. Wonderful food, everywhere, outside cafe's, interesting artsy shopping. The POTM is extraordinary. You are not that far north of San Diego, or south of Anaheim so depending on your time elements you could go to Sea World or Disneyland, if you're a true tourist to Southern California. It is my understanding that if you don't get tickets to the Pageant now, if any are available, you probably won't be able to get them at all -- it is a HUGE event.

For Mom's big nite, we love the Beach House for seafood or if you're into So. California atmosphere, try Las Brisas--beautiful place, beautiful location. Hope you have a great time.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 05:39 PM
Bill

Las Brisas is an excellent choice for that special birthday dinner. The view is beautiful, the service and food very good!

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 10:03 AM
Susan

Thanks guys! I'm sold on Las Brisas. My mom even requested Mexican food. The Beach House also looks great, and not terribly expensive. They appear to have a "sunset menu" that has great choices. I'm getting excited. Looks like we can spend a day at Legoland with the kids, spend a day at the Sawdust Festival, have some great dining and time on the beach.

Speaking of the beach, is it safe swimming for the kids? Any more info would be great, particularly if anyone has stayed at the Capri Laguna recently. Thanks so much!

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 10:13 AM
kam

Hi Susan. Congrats to your mother. Another vote for Las Brisas--call well ahead though. Sorry I haven't ever been for the Pageant of the Masters. Have a great time.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 12:07 PM
David

Susan,

To answer your latest questions, yes, Laguna will be a zoo during midweek of the Sawdust festival. Don't feel bad though, Laguna is a very popular town and is pretty much busy all summer long--weekday or weekend

As for swimming, there are many safe places to swim in that area. "Safe" is a relative term, however. How old are your kids? Are your kids good swimmers? Have they swam in the ocean before? Are they familiar with how to respond to riptides and such? I bring these questions up because ocean swimming is different than other types and sometimes people who are used to nothing but lakes and pools get into trouble in the ocean. That said though, just be sure to keep an eye on them if they're young and going in the water.

I realize much of this is common sense and many of you may be groaning but, as they say, "common sense isn't all that common".

Hope this helps,

David

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Dayle

Hi Susan!

Another vote for Las Brisas - & reservations well in advance, especially for a large group.

Pagent of the Masters is extraordinary. Grab those tickets & take some binoculars so you can appreciate the artistry on stage. It will look like a life sized painting - but it's really people made up & standing like statues.

Have fun!

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 08:10 AM
Denise

Hi Susan, I'm surprised no one has commented on your spending a day at the Sawdust "Festival"! It's definitely a misleading name. Children would be bored to death and if you appreciate real artistic talent, you'd be better off going into "Art-A-Fair" just down the road. Whatever you decide, Sawdust Festival is worth maybe 2 hours of strolling around at the most.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 08:56 AM
xxx

Though children may not be too excited with the Sawdust Festival, it is a popular attraction and well worth a visit. If you enjoy seeing hand crafted art, then this is going to be of interest to you.

Las Brisas has one of the best restaurant locations in California. Be sure to call now and make reservations. Let them know that it's for a special occasion - my friend was proposed at this restaurant and was delighted with the service. Her fiance called a local florist ahead of time and had a beautiful bouquet delivered and the restaurant made sure to get them a private view table to enjoy the evening.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 06:32 PM
topper

ttt

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 09:17 PM
Dayle

Hi Susan!

I just remembered. Up Laguna Canyon, in Laguna Hills, there is a huge, fantastic water slide park. Sorry, I can't remember the name. Just ask someone. It's about a 20 minute drive from the beach. Your kids will love it ( and so will you)!

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 09:25 PM
Tom

The water park referred to is called Wild Rivers and is located in Irvine.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 07:53 AM
Susan

Hey, thanks everyone! The water park sounds perfect, especially if it's a hot day. I found a website with info on all the arts activities in Laguna and there is a "passport" one can purchase that includes admission to the Sawdust Festival, the Art-A-Fair, the POTM (though I don't know how this works with seats) and four trolley rides. You can't buy them until May 1, but if it's reasonable I'll buy them for us and the kids. That way if the Sawdust Festival is a bust for them we can trip off to the Art-A-Fair instead. If anyone's interested I'll find the url for this passport and post it.

Still no word on the Capri Laguna besides Nan? Kam, I think I saw some comments on the place by you a few years back when I did a search here. Opinions? Thanks!

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 10:41 AM
marie

hi susan...i have lived in laguna for 30 years with my husband and 2 children (now grown)...yu are in for a wondeful family vacation...laguna cappri is fine--you won't be there that much...surf and sand hotel restaurant is called "splashes" and it is great...las brisas is a all that everyone else has said....very touristy, but very impressive...the local trolleys are terrific for getting around town...you MUST go to the pagent of the masters...it is incredible....let the kids walk around town and the sawdust while the adults go to the potm....laguna is a safe and fun town and the sawdust is magical in the evening with all of the lighting and entertainment....other restaurants include village laguna for outside lunch/dinner...ceder creek inn, javiers (*great mexican food),san shi go for japanese sushi and jolly roger for simple family breakfast.....have a wonderful family vacation...you voted for the #1 family beach vacation spot....bring your sunblock !!!! write me again if you need fmore information....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -