Laguna Beach ?

Jul 29th, 2007, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Laguna Beach ?

Hi,
Planning a trip to So. Calif. the end of September. Want to go to Laguna Beach how many nights do you think we should stay? Was there 2 years ago for dinner, loved it.
Also recommendations on lodging would be most helpful. Love the Montage but 800.00 a night is way over the top. September and October are still there high months. Thanks so much
Jul 29th, 2007, 05:39 AM

Used to own a house there. Great town. Two nights is plenty for Laguna unless you want to beach a lot. Haven't been there in a while, but there used to be some nice B&B's. (i.e., Carriage House)right near the heart of the town. Might check with the Town for other places. Montage is nice and very expensive, but not near the town where all the charm is. Hope this is helpful.
K. Williams - PS - Go to Las Brisas for appetizers and drinks - sit outside - not inside. What a view!
Jul 29th, 2007, 07:28 AM

Donna - have you tried the Surf and Sand?
It is not cheap but not 800.00 a night...
Jul 29th, 2007, 07:36 AM
lvk

luxurylink.com usually runs special packages for the Surf and Sand. My friends really like the Inn at Laguna Beach.

September is the best month on the Southern California coast, IMHO.

Jul 29th, 2007, 08:20 AM

IVK - I agree with you - I love going to the beach in Sept here in Southern California - kids are back in school - the weather cannot be beat. It is lovely.
Jul 29th, 2007, 08:21 AM

What is your budget?
Jul 29th, 2007, 08:48 AM
TahitiTams

Love the Surf & Sand Resort..also, 5* St. Regis at the end of September is going for $455 a night..great hotel too!
I would do 2-3 nights in Laguna..If Laguna is too pricey, come on down to La Jolla!

Jul 29th, 2007, 09:10 AM

Tams - my Dad stayed at the St. Regis in June when he came to town for my son's high school graduation. It was an unfortuante weekend to be there - the president of Vietnam was there as well and the place was over flood with bus loads of protesters, police lines and news crews.
The service was less then stellar and I was disapointed as I had suggested the St. Regis.
Many unfortuante things happened during my Dad's stay and he ended up writing a letter.

Last week - he received a package from the St. Regis - giving him two free nights and a cabana for one day. They followed up very nicely in order to have him come back and give them a try again.

Regarding the grounds - they are lovely.

If someone has American Express points - they can transfer them into a starwood account and it is about 25,000 starwood points a night to stay at the St. Regis.
Jul 29th, 2007, 09:22 AM
TahitiTams

Hi Dawn..
Sorry to hear about that..the downside of staying at a luxury property..I am glad your father wrote to the GM and they were gracious to comp him 2 nights + a cabana..
You need to speak up if your room is not up to par.
Just stayed last week at the Phoenician in a casita and the room had stains on the carpet & furniture..
117 degrees didn't want to change for one night..took pics and sent them to the GM..sent us a 4day/3night compliments of the Phoenician!

Donna, keep us posted as to what you have chosen.

Jul 29th, 2007, 09:32 AM

Tams - that is a very nice incentive to come back to the Phoenician - I have not been there in almost 10 years or so. How was the rest of the stay?

My Dad's room was actually very nice - the issues were all service related. He paid for a cabana for the day and there were issues with it not being able to access til after 12:00 noon - Chris Issac was actually putting a concert on the lawn that evening and I thought it was cool - but service was greatly impacted due to that as well.
Donna not trying to highjack your thread - please do let us know what you decide.

I have heard of very good deals at the Ritz - it is not a favorite of mine but with the Montage and St. Regis they have competition -
Jul 29th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Tams, I will also be going to LaJolla as part of my trip. Any suggestions on lodging there?

Surf and Sand looks nice also, $545.00 a night in September. Budget around 300.00 a night.
Jul 29th, 2007, 10:00 AM
lvk

http://luxurylink.com/fixedprice/fp_...&WT.ac=MOME02O

$1095 for 3 nights, subject to availability. We're getting closer to your budget!
Jul 29th, 2007, 10:11 AM
TahitiTams

Hi Donna!
I like the Grande Colonial Hotel in the heart of the village of LJ..
$200-300 range..a block from the ocean and shopping and great restaurants too..
Love Georges at the Cove...sit on the terrace.
Happy to help anyway I can for your trip to LJ!

thegrandecolonial.com
georgesatthecove.com

Jul 29th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

IVK-Thanks... I saw that!! Do you think 3 nights is too long in Laguna though? Parking is 27.00 a day at hotel. Sand and Surf seems nice though..
TAMS- Thanks.. will check it out..
I really can't decide where to make my home base while visiting the San Diego area before going up to Laguna. Torn between LaJolla and Coronado...
Can you describe the difference between the 2 ares?
Jul 29th, 2007, 12:11 PM

Donna - I would stay in La Jolla hands down over Coranado but understand La Jolla is one of my favorite places in the world.

Not sure how to describe the difference between the two but if you stay in the heart of La Jolla - you will never need to get into your car - you can walk around the cove - dine on the terrace at Georges - shop/window shop on Prospect and surrounding streets -

There is a more expansive beach on Coranado - so if that is imporant to you - you might prefer Coranado - if you stay on the beach side. If you stay on the bay side - you can take a ferry across the way to down town San Diego and that is a blast too...

Jul 29th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Just talking to my husband and he has decided that we should stay in LaJolla.
3 nights enough for site seeing in San Diego and surronding area?
Jul 29th, 2007, 01:22 PM

Donna - I think you could spend a week - but 3 nights will be lovely. Enjoy.
Jul 29th, 2007, 02:40 PM

Inn at Laguna Beach is perched on a cliff overlooking the ocean at the north end of the town beach. Nice boutique hotel, walk to everything in town, in your price range. see www.innatlagunabeach.com
Jul 30th, 2007, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks... that looks nice also.
So many choices!
Jul 31st, 2007, 07:36 AM

I usually stay at the Hotel Laguna when in town. Moderate priced hotel with nice atmosphere. It has a nice restaurant overlooking the ocean. The location is great. It's right at main beach. If you go to Lagunabeach.com you can look at pricing and save 10% when you mention you found them at that website when you call for a reservation.
Hope this helps.
That's my favorite time to be in Laguna!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO