Search

Ladies Weekend

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2001, 12:46 PM
sue

Ladies Weekend

I am traveling with my Mother and Aunt to NYC the first weekend in December to go Christmas shopping etc. i would like very much to go to take them to a beautiful resturant that is decorated for the holdidays or some thing equally festive. Any suggestions, I have been to Tavern on the Green and will go back there, but thought maybe someone may have another suggestion. Also what is tea time at the Plaza Palm room like, is it worth the trip? Is there another suggestion for tea? This is my aunts first time in NYC and I want her to love it as much as I do!

Old Oct 28th, 2001, 01:08 PM
Arnot

Isnt the Peninsula hotel famous for their afternoon tea? Im not sure, however how much they put on the holiday decor. Maybe someone else knows. I would check it out...reservations are a must I would think.

Old Oct 28th, 2001, 08:24 PM
Teresa

Sue,
Your Mother and aunt would adore tea at the Pierre Hotel. Do a search on this forum for Pierre Hotel and you'll find my description from this past August. My daughter and I checked out both the Plaza and Pierre for tea and decided on the Pierre--am so glad we did. It's a memory that we'll never forget--the waiters couldn't have been nicer or more accomodating and both tea and food were wonderful. Let me know if you have any questions.

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 04:35 AM
lisa

I second the vote for the Pierre hotel for tea. They serve tea in a beautiful rotunda room with clouds and cherubs painted on the ceiling. The food is wonderful and the service impeccable. Others swear by the Stanhope (directly across from the Metropolitan Museum) or the Peninsula.

As for a restaurant that is festive, there are lots of choices. Tavern on the Green is one of them. You might also try the Russian Tea Room. It has been completely redecorated and is beautiful. Another choice might be to enjoy lunch or dinner at the Sea Grill or American Festival Cafe -- the two restaurants at the bottom of Rockefeller Center surrounding the ice skating rink.

Enjoy your trip!

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 11:09 AM
Merilee

Tea at the Pierre is fabulously elegant...there's also a place called Tea & Sympathy on Greenwich Avenue in the Village...the owners are from England...the tea, scones and sandwiches are the real thing...it is small though, but charming...I agree with Lisa about the Russian Tea Room...it is lavishly decorated...a nice experience...I recommend it also.