Labor Day Chicago trip

Search

Labor Day Chicago trip

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Labor Day Chicago trip

After several failed attempts this year, our trip to Chicago is finally booked! We are reaching Thurs evening (Aug 30th) & leaving late Sunday. All the hotels seemed really expensive so I bid on Priceline & got the Hilton Palmer House for $100. I am hoping we get a room with 2 doubles since we are 3 of us. I did try calling them to request 2 beds but they said they cannot tell me for sure. Anybody had a similar situation at that hotel? I am a little nervous since recent reviews on Tripadvisor have not been great. Any Fodorites stayed there recently?
I am looking for suggestions on things to do on Friday & Sat. (We leave for Champaign on Sat evening) We were planning to go for the 8pm Second City show followed by a late dinner at Adobo Grill Friday night. We want to do an architectural boat tour during the day, is that necessary to book in advance? I'd rather have the flexibility of deciding which day after we get there unless they sell out too.
What other activities/sights are recommended? We are not into museums, would rather get a feel for the city by visiting any landmarks or special places. Can we walk to Millenium Park and Michigan Ave shopping or should we get the transit passes?
Also. are there any less expensive parking options near the Palmer House? We will have to take out the car Friday evening for Second City, Any suggestions for street parking when we return? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, I think I enjoy planning a trip with the help of Fodorites as much as the trip itself!
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 07:54 PM

You're only a few blocks from Millennium Park, and I would walk to Michigan Avenue from your hotel as well (although it would be a long walk). Your best public transit option to get up there would be the bus; I believe you could take the 147 or 151.

Why not just take the el to Second City? You can take the brown line from the Loop to Sedgwick and walk a few blocks to Adobo and the theater.

On a summer holiday weekend, I would book the architecture tour ahead. We went last June and our boat was definitely full.

Have fun!
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 10:50 PM

I'm pretty sure Second City's mainstage is already sold out for that weekend. If not, get your tickets ASAP. You could also look into their other offerings via reviews at metromix.com or chireader.com

I would also advise getting your CAF Boat Tour tickets in advance, if that's definitely what you want to do. There are other boat tour options but they depart from a variety of places, including Navy Pier.
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 02:57 AM

Yes, book the architecture cruise in advance. They do sell out.

It's too bad you're not staying longer, because there are many neighborhoods in Chicago outside of the Loop/Mag Mile/Downtown, and touring them would get you a really great sense of the city.
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies; patg, you got me nervous so I immediately called the Second City box office for tickets. We are all set for Friday at 8pm. As far as the Architec. boat tour, I remember seeing a recommendation for another boat line here as well but cannot seem to find it now. I'd rather not be locked in to a particular day & time.
Anybody who can share their experience at the Palmer Hilton? Any inexpensive to moderately priced restaurant suggestions near the hotel would be great,especially for breakfast/brunch & also a late night dinner on Thursday - our flight gets in at 9.30pm.
TwoFatFeet, please let me know which other neighborhoods you suggest. We may have some time to drive around on the way to Champaign on Sat. I would also love some names of stores that sell contemporary/different art & home decor items(not too crazy expensive though). Thanks again.
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 02:58 PM

excited_confused,

Check out Wicker Park and Bucktown. There are a lot of neat boutique clothing stores (some a bit expensive) and baby-stuff stores. There are a couple of home-furnishing stores there too. Wicker Park area is at the intersection of Damen Ave, North Ave, and Milwaukee Ave. There's a lot of good eating to be had here too.

If you're going to Wicker Park, and you have time, drive up Damen to Roscoe Street. Roscoe Village is a somewhat newly hip area (think 5 or 10 years or so) that has several nice shops, more baby/maternity boutiques, a neat art shop that sells stuff by local artists, a vintage clothing store, an indie record shop, and a great home furnishings/art/fashion accessories store. Names: Cinnamon, Shangri-La, Be By Baby, Fixture. I'm forgetting the names of the other places. There's some good eating to be had here, too, from sushi to sandwiches.

Old Aug 18th, 2007, 04:14 PM

We stay at Palmer House frequently. In the same block, just around corner, is Millers Pub...has long been a popular and good place to eat. We like the Italian Village, the upstairs of 3 restaurants on Monroe St about 2 blocks from the hotel. On Mich Ave, we like the Grand Luxe Cafe.
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Iscott what is your opinion of the Palmer House? Any good breakfast places nearby?
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 10:47 PM

I just pulled up a trip report for you. The title starts with "Hot Fun in the Summertime". Brookside stayed at the Palmer House. You might be interested in what she had to say.
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 02:08 AM

Regarding the architectural boat tour - I was in Chicago over Labor Day weekend in 2005 and did this. We enjoyed it a lot. We did not book ahead. We bought the tickets the same day we wanted to go and had no problem. We got tickets for a trip a little later in the morning and then spent time examining the stones embedded into the Chicago Trib building for a while. Then it was off on the cruise. The boat was pretty filled, as I recall.

But things may have changed in the last two years with the cruises becoming more crowded resulting in the necessity to book ahead.

LeeParis

Old Aug 19th, 2007, 08:34 AM

REply to your question about Palmer Hse...reviews are very varied, some get bad rooms. We have always done very well. It is our home away from home, mostly because we are used to the location. We don't eat big breakfasts but right on the corner is a popular sit-down bakery with variety of breakfast items.
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 03:49 PM

excited-confused, congratulations on that fantastic room rate! I'm jealous!

I just returned from the Palmer House, and we loved it. The rooms were very clean and spacious - not overly luxurious, but in a vintage style that we loved. Beds were new, with plush mattress tops that were extremely comfortable. The location is *great* - close to Mich. Ave., Millenium Park, State St. and all public transportation. It's undergoing a renovation, but it's not too terribly inconvenient - they're doing it in stages and when we were there, the only evidence was that the ceiling by the Monroe St exit was covered with
a drop cloth. Oh, and I *definitely* recommend getting a CTA pass. N. Michigan Ave shopping is not that far, but with loaded shopping bags, the walk back will be exhausting.

Casual breakfast restaurants nearby include Corner Bakery, Cosi on Michigan Ave. and Beef & Brandy on State St. (haven't been there, but plenty of DD's friends from the dance workshop went there and liked it.)

As for whether you can get 2 beds - we were in a similar situation, having been told by the res. agent that the only room available was a "single" containing 1 double bed. But when we checked in, the desk clerk gave us a room with 2 beds *and* 2 baths. I think the key was that we checked in early (11 am) and they weren't at capacity.

Hopefully, since you are checking in on Thursday rather than Friday, you will be ahead of the holiday rush. The service at the Hilton, in my experience, has been very good, and my instinct is that if there is any way they can accomodate you, they will.

Good luck!
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Brookside, thank you so much for that reply, I feel much better! Even about the room rate - since I got that on the first try I was kicking myself for not starting lower than $100 per night. The only problem is that we get in late but as you said, it is Thursday, not Friday so I am hoping for the best. But just in case, should we just carry a sleeping bag with us or will they say we cannot sleep 3 in that room? Any idea?
Which other restaurants are recommended? When we were in Chicago a few years ago, we had gone to a restaurant on the corner of Michigan Ave & some other street on the 2nd floor with huge windows & red sofas - quite a fancy place, can anyone tell what I am talking about? Will have to see if we can find it again.
Since we get in late, I was thinking of going to the Grand Lux Cafe for dinner even before we check in since it seems too far to walk. Any other suggestions for a moderately priced restaurant that's open late? Thanks.
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 07:22 PM

excited_confused -- I just saw this (I've been busy moving DD into her dorm room!). Grande Luxe is OK and not hard to get to - just hop the #4, 146, 147, or 151 northbound on Michigan Ave.

I've also heard good things about Lux Bar at 18 E. Bellevue -- The kitchen is open till midnight. You can take the red line to Chicago, then walk N. a few blocks to Bellevue.

Good luck and have fun!
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Brookside, hope the move into the dorm went well, how far is she from home? I will be doing the same with mine next year, not looking forward to it!
So do you suggest we check in first on Thurs night & then take a bus to a restaurant? I was thinking we can stop to eat first but am unsure about parking availability at that time of night. I'm presuming the valet parking at the restaurants must be quite expensive? And which is the closest location to the Palmer for buying the transit pass? Thanks.
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 11:16 AM

If you are visiting the Art Institute at all during your stay, one of my favorite summer lunches is to eat outside in their cafe.
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 06:08 PM

Hello again, E_C -- Your trip is tomorrow, right?

I would check-in first (assume you have luggage?) plus, the sooner, you check in,the better your chances for the type of room you want.

We bought our CTA passes at the Chicago Cultural Center at the corner of Michigan & Washington - landmark building - can't miss it!

How late are you arriving? the Cutlural Center closes at 6, I think. It may be easier to take a cab to dinner that night and get your passes the next day.

Have a great time!
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Brookside, yes my trip is tomorrow & I'm really nervous about the hotel! I called them again & besides telling me that they are sold out this weekend & that Priceline only guarantees a room for 2 etc etc, the rep also mentioned that they have certain rooms that can only sleep 2 because of fire codes. (The rep I had talked to earlier had told me that if we got a room with one bed, I could probably get an extra bed for $30 which was fine) Now I am a nervous wreck, I'm never doing this again. 2 rooms would not have helped either since one of us would have to sleep alone. I'm hoping for the best, even if they give us a room with 2 beds tomorrow night for 1 night, I can try & find something else for Sat which I know is going to be hard since it's the holiday. I'm not sure it's possible to sneak a 17 year old in either! Anyway, I have my fingers crossed.
I think we will check in first (get the worst over with)& then go to the Lux Bar as per your recommendation since it is open until midnight but Grand Lux closes at 11pm. We will probably drive there & hopefully find parking at that time of night. Thanks.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 04:08 PM

Hello!

If you do end up being in a less than desirable room, ask if you can switch the following day. I've had hotels accommodate this request on numerous occasions. Have only one person approach the check-in desk so they don't know how many are in your party (and yes, I know this is dishonest. It's a tip from my misspent youth.)

Also, I would STRONGLY urge you NOT to drive to the restaurant or Second City. Parking can be an expensive nightmare, and driving around Chicago at night, especially if you're not familiar with the layout of the city, can be confusing and very stressful. I'd strongly urge you to take a cab or the El. You can pick up the Red Line practically outside your door and take it to either Chicago or Clark and Division. and walk a few blocks.

If you don't want to park at the hotel, there is less expensive parking at Millennium Park. I believe it's accessible from Columbus Drive.

Oh, and as an FYI: The Cultural Center runs out of transit passes (this has happened to me 3-4 times.) It's still worth checking, but just wanted to warn you so you aren't shocked. If they are out, they will let you know where else you can purchase them.

Anyways, have a terrific time! I'm going to be in Chicago this weekend too and it looks like it's going to be gorgeous weather!
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

bethke14, thanks for the advice, do you think its better not to tell them I need a room with 2 double beds because we are 3 of us? Also, if the elevators are near the registration desk, we will probably be seen going up even if we go separately since I don't imagine there will be too many people around at that time of night. I am pretty sure they will have availability Thurs night, its Friday that may be the problem so I will ask if I can get a room with 2 double beds for at least that night & will offer to switch rooms on Fri.
We were planning to drive to Second City & use valet parking for $10 since we are going there for dinner after the show. If we do buy the CTA passes, we could take the El, is it safe at that time of night?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -