LA to San Diego

Apr 24th, 1999, 11:16 AM
Marsha

LA to San Diego

Will be flying into LA in the AM but will be driving to San Diego that night. I've read lots of neat things about San Diego and can't wait to get there, but I think I should see something of LA. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Apr 24th, 1999, 02:58 PM

There is so much to see in LA that you could easily spend a week and not see it all. What are your interests and budget? Do you want to participate in movie industry activites, museums, the beach, the mountains, shopping, or amusement parks? Will you have children along, and if so will they be teens or toddlers? Will you have time to dine or do you simply want to "eat on the run"? Try to be a bit more specific, please.

Apr 24th, 1999, 07:17 PM
marsha

OK, Karma...not particularly interested in the movie scene; will have boys age 11 and 15 with us; would like to see some of the highlights, enjoy outdoors; maybe a meal at someplace neat but not too pricey. Hope this helps.

Apr 25th, 1999, 09:47 PM
SDSam

I am a native California and live in San Diego. It is true that there is much to see and do in the LA area but San Diego is much different.

San Diego has just as much to do and see as Los Angeles and is a much nicer city and area. Of course you have the major attractions being the zoo, Sea World, Balboa Park, and the Wild Animal Park. San Diego is one of the nicest if not the nicest cities in the country. It is true that I am somewhat biased as I live here. I live here by choice though as I have lived in other areas and can live where I want. San Diego tops anywhere else.

Apr 26th, 1999, 07:42 AM
Emily

If you have kids who are 11 and 15 with you, there's no way you can get out of L.A. without spending your day in one of the amusement parks. Disneyland is always great and they should enjoy Knotts Berry Farm as well.

Apr 28th, 1999, 12:43 PM
D.B.

Where are you flying from and how wiped out will you be from the flight? If you are only going to be in the area for that day, then Disney and Knott's are probably out. You could visit the Queen Mary (that big boat) which is in Long Beach for an hour or so, a little ways south of LAX and on your way to S.D. I suggest that you might just want to spend the afternoon at the beach to relax and let the kids play before the long drive? You will probably be stuck in traffic on the freeway, and have many hours of looking out your car window at the expanse of greater L.A.

Apr 28th, 1999, 05:44 PM

Well Marsha...it looks like you've already gotten some pretty solid advice. I agree that if you're flying in and driving down to SD in the same day...you'll be spending most of that spare time you have in traffic if you're traveling on a Saturday or on a weekday after 3p.m. If after your flight you do have time or want to wit til after 6 p.m. to drive down to SD you can rent skates or bikes in Santa Monica and blade down to Venice Beach and back. That way you'll get to see plenty of the REAL LA...LOL. Stopping in Buena Park at Knott's might be really enjoyable for kids the age of yours (less little kid stuff and more"adventurous rides" than Disney). If your boys are interested and you get into town really early...you may want to try the Peterson Auto Museum (which just put out cars never on display before and then hike across the street to the LaBrea Tar Pits. During spring and summer they do dinosauer digs and the whole place is pretty interesting (considering it's in the middle of what is now the city).

For teenage-boy-food...I have to recommend Universal City Walk (outside Universal Studios). Two especially appealing places would be Marvel Mania (try the peanutbutter, marshmallow cream and nestle crunch bar sandwich on cinnamon bread)...while watching full screen cartoons. Or, Wizardz...which is magic and comedy while dining.

Everything in LA is spread out, so if you plan to do more than one acitivty, plan on spending considerable time in the car. Have fun!

Search this Thread