Reload this Page >

LA to Mexico--info needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 08:45 AM
Diane

Our LA-visiting son wants to spend the weekend in Mexico. Does anyone know what red tape this involves? Will they need a passport? Can he take a rental car over the border? We live on the East Coast, so are unfamiliar with the rules. Thanks for any help.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 09:03 AM
kam

Diane, please do a search for Tijuana here. Personally, I would discourage my son from doing this. Certainly wouldn't take a rental car and yes, he needs proof of citizenship, voters card or passport. There's a lot of potential difficulties for young guys going to a border town like Tijuana for "all you can drink" beers and other fun. Also, he's not going to experience Mexico, just a seedy border town, from San Diego--not L.A.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 09:07 AM
Suzie

When we went to Puerto Vallarta and Cancun we needed only our birth certificates and payment to exit the country which I gladly produced.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 09:09 AM
yoly

HI:
To cross the border he needs a passport or a birth certificate. I don't know if a car rental company will let you take a car across. But if he takes his own and do not go more than some miles away from the border is ok, otherwise you need to have a special temporary import permit.
Be sure to get a mexican car insurance no matter what.

yoly

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 09:16 AM
rheianne

Diane,

I went to Mexico a few times while a college and graduate student living in Southern California. It's fairly easy to get across, he just needs his driver's license. Rental agencies in SoCal generally have a provision in their policies that state it is a violation of their contract to take the car across the border into Mexico. There may be exceptions if they pay extra, i'm not sure because i've always gone with friends who have taken their own car across. I believe (but may be wrong) that you are also required by law to purchase extra auto insurance for Mexico as in some areas there are high theft rates. Your own auto insurance will not cover you there.

As for his trip, i'm going to assume he's not going to Tijuana, otherwise, he really wouldn't need a car to visit. I've driven down to Ensenada, Rosarito and other places in Baja which don't have the same environment as Tijuana, often only with a group of female friends, and had no trouble. Friends of mine also road trip down to go surfing and camping and haven't had problems other than bouts of Montezuma's Revenge. All that's needed is common sense.

Overall, it's not too difficult, if he can resolve the car issue. I think your best bet would be to call an Alamo or other agency down in San Diego and ask them specifically about the regulations.

Hope this helps.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 09:25 AM
frank

Is a drivers license proof of citizenship? I didn't think it was. Birth certificate, voters card or passport are, I'm sure. Better check this.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 09:39 AM
xxx

It isn't considered proof of citizenship, but it's sufficient to get you back across the border.