LA to Las Vegas and beyond

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're a month away from the big trip to the States, bringing three of our children and two of their friends (15-21yrs).

Seven people means 3 hotel rooms per night. At US75cents to the NZdollar I have to watch my wallet.

We arrive in LA on the 10th and have six days before we need to be in San Fran for my partner to start work (it's a job swap/house swap).

I have an 8 seater rental booked.

Current thinking is a night in LA, then drive to Vegas, then back to LA for Disneyland, Getty et al, then drive to San Fran.

The reason for Vegas is it's cheap. I can get a hotel room for around $80 a night. (The Sahara looks like fun, thoughts?)

But the kids are saying, with no alcohol, no pokies, why are we in Sin City and what do we expect them to do? I kind of see their point. Maybe two days max.

Looking in the guide books I see there are some iconic trips in the offing on the way to Vegas, like maybe detour through New Mexico and Arizona and fit in a bit of Route 66.

We can buy some Howling Wolf or Rat Pack or Steve Earle and play CD's for hours on end.

North of Vegas is Rachel, the UFO centre of the world.

I don't mind slightly uncomfortable if it's weird or memorable. In fact, the weirder the better I reckon. My kids might complain for all the driving, but imagine saying you'd seen Rachel!

We could spend one or two nights in Vegas and the rest on the road. Then two nights in LA at $120 a room x 3. Was thinking Parc Suites in W Hollywood.

Does this make sense?

Regards

Bradford
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 12:53 PM

The USD is falling, so your NZ dollar is going further.

I don't see why you should go to Las Vegas and then come back to tour LA. Tour LA first, then to Las Vegas, then to the San Francisco area.
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Agree the logic is not good for this, although the maps I have suggest the main freeway seems to loop down almost to LA anyway. Do I have that wrong?

The main argument was that it was Disneyland first up or Vegas first up. What a choice! We thought we'd do the adult Disneyland first...
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 01:09 PM

From LV to the Bay Area, you come down on I-15 and then take CA58 to Bakersfield and then go up CA99 or I-5.

That will save you about 100 miles of driving, but more importantly, 100 miles of serious traffic into and out of the LA area.
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Good to know. Than you for that.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 06:50 AM

Just curious as to what type of car is considered an "8 seater"? The only ones that I can think of have little/no room for luggage.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 12:16 PM

The Sahara Hotel is on the lower end of the scale and not in easy walking distance from other Strip hotels except for the Stratosphere. You'd be better off with someplace like the Flamingo, which will have nicer rooms, not be too expensive, and in the middle of everything. In my opinion, the Sahara is kind of shabby, and you'd have to take a taxi or bus or the Monorail to get anywhere.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 12:37 PM

I'm with the kids; there is very little for the under-21s to do in Vegas. Plus, with only six days, you would spend most of your time in the car if you tried to include Arizona or New Mexico.

I think you'd be better off spending two or three days in the Los Angeles area, then driving up the coast to San Francisco.

Lee Ann
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 01:51 PM

The Sahara is a bit worn out. Better to stay off the strip, near center.

Why West Hollywood? Why not just stay in Anaheim next to Disneyland? Lots of places there would be set up for a group like yours.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 01:59 PM

I just checked travelocity.com for Vegas hotels for December 12 for two nights. That is about the slowest time of the year there.

You can get the Sahara for $39 a night.

But you can get Bally's for $69 and Paris for $89. Flamingo for only $59.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 03:42 PM

You've gotten some good advice. We too love full busy days but not sure how you can do it all..

And MrWunrfl's right - stay in anaheim at least two of the nights, before and after you do disneyland. Check out Best Western Inn and Suites - DIRECTLY across the street from DL. You can't get any closer unless you stay on property. Rooms are bigger than most BWs and each sleeps 6. Nice free breakfast too and did i mention its super close? So worth it after long 'hard' days at the park.

Also, if you decide on vegas the flamingo is a good choice - location location location as they say is especially key in vegas. We've stayed there twice and it was fine. Check out reviews on trip advisor for more info.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 09:53 PM

agree with everyone above. there is not much to do in Vegas for your kids, especially if you're on a budget and can't go to the expensive shows. i would skip it altogether. there is a ton to do in and around LA, and the drive to SF is one of the most scenic in the US.

I recommend for you to go straight to Anaheim for 1 night to go to Disneyland from LAX. You can also drive to Laguna Beach for the day once you're in the OC anyway. Afterwards, come back to LA and stay 3 nights. Orchid Suites in Hollywood would probably suit your needs. It's inexpensive and they have suites, so you can probably just get 2 suites.

Afterwards, head up the coast to SF with stops. You can make stop in several of the following: Santa Barbara, Big Sur, Carmel, Hearst Castle, Monterey, Santa Cruz, San Luis Obispo.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 03:17 AM

Have you considered the following option:

if the "kids" are mostly over 18 and if they are responsible types, could you leave them in Anaheim (at the Best Western)? They could spend a few days at Disneyland, while you and your wife drive (or fly) to Vegas for a few nights.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 06:39 AM

I agree with the other posters about avoiding the long drive to Las Vegas in your circumstances. I'm not sure what a pokie is but if the kids are going to be bored, it will lessen the trip for everyone. Also, if you're coming that far so you can see Rachel, don't bother. It may be mildly interesting if you have to go through it on the way to somewhere else but, as a destination, it leaves a lot (actually, everything) to be desired.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 07:18 AM

With your beautiful coastline in NZ, I wouldn't bother with Laguna Beach. The OC isn't even filmed in OC.

I think the desert southwest is a good idea, Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon maybe?

The jet lag from NZ to LA is usally pretty bad (I've visited 5-6 times). You might want a light day the first day, maybe seeing the Getty and Hollywood (the latter won't take more than an hour).

I would at a minimum spend the night OF your Disney visit in Anaheim, in order to be able to stay to see the fireworks and Fantasmic. Also don't miss Billy Hill and the Hillbillies, sit in the front row and you might get picked on!

Disney tickets are getting more expensive by the day, so definitely look into the "Good Neighbor Hotels" for a discount ticket/hotel package. It might indeed be worthwhile to spend two nights at a Suite hotel with free breakfast. Check tripadvisor.com for reviews.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 08:32 AM

I see lots of kids in Las Vegas. You could go to the Body exhibition and/or the Titanic exhibit at the Tropicana. Go up the Eiffel Tower. Take a self-guided tour of all of the free amusements. The volcano at Mirage, the pirate show at TI, the fountains at Bellagio, the little drama in the Forum shops at Caesars, the show at the Rio (there is a free shuttle between Rio and Caeasars, Paris, Bally's, Harrah's), the canals of Venice, and more.

If it wasn't December, though, I might recommend going to Yosemite instead.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 09:02 AM

yeah. they're turning Las Vegas more into a family destination than previously only for adults. you can have fun for hours or even days just at Circus Circus.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Oh. Wow! Sorry, I disappeared for a day offline as I wasn't expecting such a response.

Now I have rather a lot of people to thank, and respond to.

First of all, and I think the Griswolds know what I am talking about, the idea of driving for hours on end rather appeals to me, but may not earn me any brownie points with the kids. But we have two-three weeks in SF and I thought that (along with four days in NYC) would be city experience enough.

I was more thinking about seeing large dinosaurs and little diners, about deserts and gas stations and men in baseball caps. I have just been watching a doco on Tom Dowd (Atlantic records sound engineer) and now I want to go to Muscle Shoals and Memphis. Can't do that, but I thought some of the side roads of Nevada and Arizona might give us a taste of the Real America?

Thanks MrWunfrl for the tip on travelocity.com - and those who suggested the Flamingo over the Sahara. The Flamingo it is.

Agree on 2 nights in Anaheim. But we want to do the Getty and I thought W Hollywood was a good base for the girls to play at being Paris Hilton and us to do that wonderful "Homes of the Movie Stars' tour where failed stand-up comics get to drive you around.

I didn't look at the coast, because we will probably do that from San Fran, and I am still scared about all these hotel costs. The hotels up in Monterey and Carmel seemed expensive in comparison with Vegas and Anaheim, although the Doris Day inn sounded quite fun.

My ultimate goal is to show my daughter's boyfriend and her best friend, both of who have never been out of New Zealand, the best of LA, SF and NYC. If we get to see some iconic American imagery, like Vegas at night, or a general store in some small town, then I think it will be all the more memorable for everyone.

The idea of dropping the kids in Anaheim! Speckles! Well, yes, it's a very good one. But the oldest son coming with us, Sam, is going to be out of control as it is: he'll be going AWOL anyway and it's a full time job keeping him from getting arrested or running off with some LA girl. Leaving the whole lot of them alone might be madness.

Anyway, if my eighteen and twenty year olds are having fun, I want to be involved too. I'm not too old to party.

Regards

Bradford
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 01:55 PM

There is a segment of "nostalgic Route 66" in Barstow, I think. That is on your way to Vegas.

The trend of making L.V. a family destination is over, actually. It has been going the other way for a while. Still, there are amusements for children.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the good advice. I will look up Barstow in my books.

Regards

Bradford

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -