LA to Hearst Castle?

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 02:28 PM
Lily

LA to Hearst Castle?

How long will take me driving from LA to Big Sur and Hearst Castle? maybe doing 1 night stop.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 03:10 PM
J Correa

I would definitely make a 2 day trip out of it. It's a long drive and there is just too much scenery to do it justice in 1 day.

About 30-60 minutes south of San Simeon are Cambria, Morro Bay, and San Luis Obispo. Time wise, I think these communities are about 1/2 way or a little more between LA and Big Sur and are good stopping places.

Cambria is a small town with a lot of shops and art galleries. Moonstone beach is a nice place to stay if you want some peace and quiet.

Morro Bay is more of a beach community with restaurants, tourist shops, and other things on the Embarcadero. They also have boat tours and kayak rentals there. The rock is fun to go out to and walk around. Just south of Morro Bay is a state park, I think it's called Los Osos State Park or something like that. It's really pretty - woods and beaches - not very crowded and some nice hiking trails.

San Luis Obispo is a larger town with more nightlife, esspecially during the school term.

The drive from San Simeon to Big Sur isn't that far distance-wise - I think it's only 60-70 miles - but the road is narrow and in places it's hard to drive over 35 mph. The scenery is spectacular, so you wont want to drive fast anyway, and even if you did, the people in front of you will drive slow. I would say 2 2/2 hours if you don't stop anywhere along the way.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 06:26 PM
kary

I agree. Take at least 2 days. It's about a 2 hour drive from LA to Santa Barbara, then another few hours to San Simeone from there. We took a day to drive from Santa Barbara to Hearst Castle with one tour and dinner at a hotel just north of San Simeone. You need a reservation for Castle tours but they are well worth the cost. There are some lodging possiblities near San Simeone and the info desk at the Castle tour area can help you arrange lodging. Driving Big Sur is very slow due to the narrow winding roads and the views are so devestating that you want to stop every half mile to admire the scenery. It has to be one of the most beautiful drives in this country. If you drive the whole route to Carmel, stop at Nepanthe (sp?)for lunch. The food is great and the views from your outdoor table make the whole trip worthwhile.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 06:53 PM
Dave

Slightly disagree. I would make it two nights, mainly because I don't like driving and want to spend time there. It's the better part of a day each way. Two nights gives you a leisurely drive up and down, stopping on the way, and one full day there.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 08:16 PM
geography

San Simeon. No "e" at the end.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 10:52 PM
Lily

Do ou know a nice hotel in Cambria or San Luis Obispo?
thanks!

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 07:10 AM
Curious

Is it that people do not know how to do a search on Fodors, or are they just lazy/stupid?

LA to Hearst Castle has been done a thousand times on this board in the last few months. So has places to stay in Cambria, Morro Bay, Cayucas, San Luis Obispo, ad naseum.

I don't understand why people think this board is a travel agency. Wouldn't a better question be "I'll be driving from LA to Hearst Castle on HGWY 101. Any special places to stop and see?" Or "I'll be staying in Cambria for 2 nights. Which motel is better, the --- or the ---?"

Come on, people, do your homework. Have you ever heard of Mapquest? How about a map? What a concept.

Curious

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 07:23 AM
Mike

Curious, why are you even on Fodors? Is your life that meaningless that you have to go on here and bash people, to make yourself feel better? Quit wasting all our time. I'm sorry Lily, I don't know of a place to stay in Cambria but if I did, I would tell you.
Mike

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 08:28 AM
Curiousis

Curious does have it nailed. Use the SEARCH function on this board. You'll get more, and better, opinions than you will with this post. Because some of those who've posted before just are not going to do it again!

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 08:48 AM
J Correa

A few years ago my mom and I stayed at Moonstone Beach just outside Cambria. There is a little road that goes right along the beach, motels and inns on 1 side, beach on the other. I can't remember the name of the inn where we stayed, but it was a great loacation. The beach is rocky, not a good swimming beach, but great for sunset strolls.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 02:35 PM
Lily

Mike: thank you very much for your help and also everyone in this forum. What you recommended its very helpfull... if you want to know something in the future, just ask!
good luck!