La Reve in Las Vegas

Search

La Reve in Las Vegas

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
La Reve in Las Vegas

Digging through this site using both Fodor's search and Google's, I couldn't find any reviews of La Reve. Seems like someone here must have seen it by now?

Keith
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 01:04 PM

Found this using Google.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_ho.../26490377.html

These dreams seem very familiar.

And that's the biggest disappointment with "Le Reve" (The Dream), the new aquatic Cirque du Soleil spinoff at Wynn Las Vegas. The custom-built show in the world's most expensive hotel squanders the rare chance to create something original. Instead, it shows how quickly innovation becomes formula.

The deja vu goes beyond the water we know from "O," this time in the middle of a circular theater. You may also recognize the pre-show antics, the comic relief, costumes and music. Even the structure progresses along familiar lines, from a mystical, ceremonial beginning to an uplifting swell of people surrounding the central character at the end.

Granted, no evening in the hands of the visionary Franco Dragone is going to be a complete waste of time. "Le Reve" is the most beautiful, sensual work yet from the Cirque du Soleil director of "O" and "Mystere," who went freelance to stage Celine Dion's "A New Day" two years ago.

But it's a dark beauty, and doesn't contrast well with the physical comedy meant to leaven it. And while its a show filled with gorgeous imagery and peripheral details, there's just not that much happening in the foreground. The subtitle, "A Small Collection of Imperfect Dreams," is more accurate than intended.

Those who understand how Cirque used to work might have seen this coming. Dragone has always been blunt about being more interested in visual theater than circus acrobatics. In the past, Cirque's extensive resources delegated the discovery or development of acts to others, leaving Dragone to work his magic by weaving them together.

Dragone's solo enterprise has a relatively healthy (and undisclosed) budget. But working outside Cirque's infrastructure, "Le Reve" lacks a jaw-dropping showstopper along the lines of the "Wheel of Death" in Cirque's rival "Ka." Some spectacular jumps from the domed rotunda and a trio of women doing gymnastics on a suspended globe come closest.

The in-the-round seating is great for the audience, but design and safety issues restrict the space and perhaps explain why the stuntwork is mostly confined to gymnastic flips and hand-balancing -- though it's mighty impressive when the hand-balancing is done by people (Tomasz Wilkosz and Grzegorz Ro) who are dripping wet.

None of this would matter if the stuntwork had been integrated into a compelling narrative. But "Le Reve" adheres to the old Cirque formula of a skeletal premise that halts when the characters sit on the sidelines and watch the acrobatics.

In this case it's Morpheus (Gonzalo Munoz Ferrar), the legendary Sandman or Lord of Dreams, who takes a hapless Everyman (Wayne Wilson) down a long, strange road. Too bad this unlimited premise turns out to be a road cobbled together not just with remnants of past Cirques -- heavy on powdered wigs and groomsmen in coattails and black boots -- but even from shows Dragone didn't do, such as "De La Guarda" (people hanging in the rain) and "Zumanity."

Perhaps because Dragone was working with Dion while Cirque opened "Zumanity," he failed to realize how much his four comic "angels" (Claudio Carneiro, Sean Kempton, Daniel Passer and Jim Slonina) resemble the unfunny Puritans at New York-New York. In both cases, the clowns fall prey to temptation and show us a lot of less-than-buff man skin.

In Las Vegas, we no longer think it strange that Cirque has made mainstream entertainment of androgynous, borderline-fetish imagery. But for some reason, it seems to bug people here. Especially the pregnant women. People who hated this show always mention the pregnant women.

My guess is the larger atmosphere is what draws the line of acceptance. Those who don't mind a touch of nightmare replacing the uplifting, life-affirming tone of "Mystere" are more likely to roll with it.

If you're in the former camp, you'll relish the pre-show, Disney-Haunted-Mansion eeriness of those mannequins on the ceiling that seem to look at you with real eyes. You may also enjoy the gnarled tree that rises from a foggy lagoon, complete with a creepy old guy who looks like Grandpa from the "Texas Chainsaw Massacre."

Or a moment when some fishnets dredge up booty that includes human faces. Is it statuary or ... dead bodies?

The more disturbing elements are balanced by erotic aerial ballets in this, the sexiest of Dragone's shows. In one sequence, female legs with red high-heeled shoes emerge upside down from the water. In another, women are lowered in dripping wet dresses to the frothy surface of the water then teasingly raised into the air again.

"Le Reve" is said to be much improved since its April 27 debut, and will undoubtedly improve more as Dragone continues to tweak it. If any major surgery is called for, my vote would be to replace the serviceable, but now overly familiar score by Benoit Jutras, who did "O" and Cirque's "La Nouba" at Disney World.

A whimsical moment when figures descend in hats, raincoats and umbrellas reminded me of a Pink Floyd album cover. Hmm. If Dragone's work can draw the attention of Dion, and Cirque can land the rights to use Beatles music in its next show .... Well, a fellow is allowed to dream, isn't he?
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, fehgeddaboudit, I hadn;t seen that.

But that is from the opening, or previews. I am surprised that no one in this community has seen it since then.

Keith
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 07:48 AM

Keith, you've probably gone already, but if anyone's interested, Le Reve was great. (Rhymes with Chev - it's at the new Wynn Hotel.

Just went with a group of 10, and it was amazing and beautiful. If you have seen other Cirque du Soleil shows, this is similar and just as wonderful. I have seen Mystere & Zumanity, and I think this was my favourite. I go to Vegas for work every year, and have seen many Vegas shows. This is a good one.

We ate at Tableau (in the Wynn) which was beautiful, fine dining, excellent service. Very expensive. www.vegas.com listed it as $25-$35 for entrees, which was not true - the least expensive entree was $39.00, and went up from there - average entree $42-$44. The apps were $25-$36 each, with one salad for $15. Wine started at $60/bottle.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I saw it in November. Thought it was every bit as good as Mystere and much better than Zumanity.

Thanks.

Keith
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 02:36 AM

Do the search again. It's Le Reve (Not La Reve). There have been other discussions. This was the first time I had seen a show of this type and I loved it.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

Do the search again.

There are now. I wrote one of them after I went. There weren't on October 13 when I started this thread.

Keith
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 04:52 PM

Saw it last year and I was bored. Seen O, Mystere, Zumanity, and lots of local productions of Cirque du Soleil, but they're starting to all blend together... But, that's just my opinion. If you like that kind of thing, why not go and enjoy it?
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

Because I already have?
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 11:57 AM

Thinking of going for Le Reve during our trip to LV next week. The first row seats are the least expensive but is that a big disadvantage? Going with husband's family who are not much into shows, am not sure if this is the right one to go to. Is it possible to buy discounted ticketes in LV or should I book now?