Search

LA or coast drive

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2005, 10:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LA or coast drive

Hi All,
We are coming from Australia to visit friends in SF. We are stopping on the way to do 4 days in Disneyland, 3 days SD and are wondering if we should do a couple of days in and around LA and fly to SF, OR do a 2 night, 3 day drive up the coast to SF.
Any thoughts from the experts greatly appreciated.
Carin
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 11:35 PM

Hi, carinv!

You didn't mention what time of year you are coming.

I'd suggest that if it in the summer that you drive along the coast from San Francisco down to San Diego. The coastal drive is better done from north to south, IMHO. Take one of the San Diego days and apply it to Los Angeles.

There is a lot of information on this forum on California. Just type in a phrase, such as "Big Sur" "Los Angeles" in the search box above and you'll see plenty of postings.

If you don't find what you need, just come back and ask. Fodorites are incredibly helpful people!

Welcome to California! :
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 12:44 AM
Original Poster

Hi Easytraveler and thanks!
We are coming over 11/11/05 so definately not summer!
I have been searching on this site and am suffering overload!!!!
My hubby isn't real keen on doing the coast drive (are travlelling with 11, 13 and 15 y/o), but I am trying to squeeze as much as possible into our trip.
We need to do SF last, so travelling down the coast isn't an option.
Any ideas???
CArin
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 07:02 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
If 4 days around Disneyland is also partly intended to let you recover from jetlag, so be it, but IMO it's 2 days too many, so if you wanted to do both a couple of days in and around LA and a couple more on the road to SF, I think the resource for that time could be gained there. Alternatively, you could simply take one (or two) of the D'land days and drive into LA in the morning, spend some time looking at the tourist sights in and around the city, then drive back to wherever your D'land hotel is in the evening. While LA traffic is bad, it's not that bad if you don't leave at 7AM (unlikely with 3 kids anyway) and if you either beat or wait past the evening rush hour (does not apply to weekends of course.)

It may or may not (more likely not) be outdoor-pool-weather in November, certainly not beach weather, so you might find the idea of the car better once you've arrived. Certainly with 5 the car will be much cheaper than flying.

I would consider a couple of days in Orange County (Disneyland), a couple more day-tripping into LA - Hollywood, Beverly Hills, the "old town" area near Union Station (lots of interesting things), Santa Monica/Malibu/Venice, returning to your hotel; then a couple in San Diego (see the zoo for sure), then your drive. Even though the weather may be dicey, 3 days/2 nights is plenty of time to stop in Santa Barbara (see the beautiful Mission); Hearst Castle on Hwy 1 (I'll bet it'll compare favorably with Disneyland), and especially Point Lobos State Park near Monterey. Lots of sea mammals - the kids will love it, promise. Then SF for the rest of your time. Give it a thought.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 08:32 AM

I would spend the first night off the plane in LA, then a day exploring Los Angeles (Hollywood, The Getty Center) because LA is much easier to explore on Sat and Sun (less traffic). Then down to San Diego for Sun Mon Tues, moving to Disneyland Tuesday in the evening to avoid Wed morning traffic. Wed and Thurs and Fri for Disneyland (maybe also Knotts Berry Farm or Wild Animal Park one day instead of 3 at Disney?). Then leave Saturday open...maybe more time in LA (Natural History Museum is great for kids that age, maybe Auto Museum or Universal Tour).

On Sunday head north..maybe Brunch and a walk on the beach in Santa Barbara followed by a drive up to Carmel or Monterey for a night. Check there regarding best times to drive north to San Francisco, apparently certain hours are to be avoided at all costs due to weekday traffic.

Not sure if you need to be in S.F. by a certain date, however. If so, yes, 2 days Disneyland is enough....spend a day exploring LA by all means.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Gardyloo and Traceys2cents,
I can see where you are both coming from.
Gardyloo,
Yes the 4 days was intended for recovery and some extra time in Disney. We had thought about one of those days touring LA, maybe we could asses that when we are there.
I thought with 3 kids, all teens ( or nearly)Disneyland may take some time.
2 days really enough??
If we were to see only 1 attraction in SD, do yo think zoo or wild animal park?
Thanks for your thoughts
Carin
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 12:45 PM

How many days do you want to go to Disneyland???
Here are some ideas for LA and SD....

Los Angeles:
1 day
Venice Beach (muscle beach, canals, street performers) and malibu beach, Hollywood Blvd. at night (interesting people)
1 day
Beverly Hills, Rodeo Drive, Westwood, then Santa Monica Pier, 3rd street prominade.
1 day
Disneyland

San Diego
1 day
Pacific Beach, Mission Beach boardwalk, daytime Horton Plaza, gaslamp quarter, during the evening for dinner
1 day
Seaworld

Old Mar 13th, 2005, 02:44 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Far be it from us to plan your holiday (ha ha) but here's what I'd think of instead.

Most flights from Oz arrive in LA in the morning. Go directly to San Diego, even if it means taking a puddle jumper flight; trying to battle LA freeways when you're fresh off the plane is no fun, and be aware that Disneyland will take an hour to get to from LAX and when you get there your hotel probably won't be ready for you anyway.

If you go straight to SD, you can find someplace near the beach or Seaworld that will be an ideal place to ease yourselves into the time zone, putter around for a couple of days, and in general relax before hitting the high-density tourism up the road. By all means visit the zoo; the wild animal park is fine but the zoo is something special, plus it's a half day max venture, perfect for groggy Antipodeans. Disney, on the other hand, is maximum intensity tourism, and unless you are the Family of Steel you'll be dead on your Donalds and mentally quite Goofy after a couple of hours.

Hit Disney on the way north. If you come on a weekday in mid-November, the crowds will be minimal, so you won't need more than two days (one, most likely) for you and the kids to see more than enough of Wally World to have saccharine toxicity become an issue. Plus, coming from San Diego, a morning departure will get you there by opening time anyway - no more than 90 min. on the road from SD, and at that time of year I don't think the park even opens until 10 - could be wrong. That day, plus the next, and I think you'll be more than fortified for non-Disneyland. Couple or three days in the LA area, then hit the road north.

I would look for a family-type place on Mission Bay in San Diego - close to Sea World if you want, close enough to Old Town or the Tijuana Trolly if you want - yet still a relaxing area (Mission, Pacific, Ocean Beaches to the west, so close to fun restaurants, beach, shopping if you want, too.) But the key IMO would be to find a laid back area for your intro to California, so that you'll be clear-headed when you need to be, i.e., Interstate 5.

Old Mar 13th, 2005, 02:56 PM

I agree that two days at Disneyland is enough, that gives you one day at Disney and one day at California Adventure next door. They sell two day passes that will get you into both parks. Each one can be done in a day easily. I also agree that the coastal drive is a MUST do, regardless of which direction you are driving, north or south. It's simply amazing and some of the best scenery in our country.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 06:57 PM

Hi, Carin!

You've gotten some excellent suggestions!

My second response to you has been cyberzapped twice - The Phantom of the Forum - lo!

My only suggestion - before getting zapped again! - is to go early to Dissyland, catch the most popular rides early to avoid the long lines, then return to the hotel for a couple of hours of "siesta" time, then back to Dizzyland for 4/more hours. I've found this the best way to keep the kids from becoming world champion cranks.

Have fun!
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 08:04 PM

A suggestion for hotel in San Diego area: Paradise Point. Near Seaworld, secluded, low key, easy to get to beach.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 09:37 PM

You might enjoy reading Spenlevy's report on his family's recent trip to the US (including Disneyland, San Francisco, and other destinations) at www.ballofdirt.com/journeys/5333.html

Have a great time!

Lee Ann
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 08:36 PM

I think 2 days in Disneyland is quite enough. Your kids are older and won't enjoy the "little kids rides" of which there are many. Do jostle for a good position to see the Fantasia fireworks/show in the evening.

My kids all enjoyed both the zoo and the wild animal park; the wild animal park is more like a safari-ride where the animals are mixed together in groups in a very natural habitat. The lions and tigers are always hiding. At the zoo you can get closer to the animals and there are shows that are fun and a lot more variety.

The Page museum down by the LA County Museum of Art has a wonderful collection of prehistoric mammal skeletons; a huge mastadon, a sabre tooth tiger, etc. My kids love this museum. It's small, will only take an hour or two.

On the way up the coast you can stop in SB and see the mission, hang out on the promenade/boardwalk, shop downtown. It has an almost Mediterranean feel; much more like LA was when I was little.

The Hearst castle is beautiful, there are great elephant seals nearby at the beach, Big Sur is gorgeous.

Monterey is fun, the aquarium there is awesome, the kids would like that.

Santa Cruz boardwalk is fun, your teens/tweens would love it. We go every summer at least once.

In SF the kids will like Chinatown, a visit to Alcatraz, just driving up and down the hilly streets (scares my daughter half to death), the Exploratorium, the old Fort Point which is right under the Golden Gate Bridge. If they're into art at all they'll like the museums, too. And of course, the cable cars.

Please try to see something of California besides Disneyland, LA, and SF. Those big cities have a lot to offer, but California is so much more, too.

I hope you enjoy your visit to my home state.
Lisa