La Costa resort in Calsbad

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2011, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone ever stayed at Lacosta Resort, north of San Diego? If so, how was your stay? Looking to do a girls trip at a spa with the chance of having reasonable weather in February. Any ideas or opinons?
Old Dec 3rd, 2011, 06:27 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I've been. It's been a few years ago but it was very nice.

In Feb. I'd head to Sedona and Enchantment resort.
Old Dec 3rd, 2011, 07:42 AM

Sedona in February has an average high of 42 and low of 18 with Feb and March the highest likelihood of snow.

I put a suggestion on your other thread.
Old Dec 3rd, 2011, 10:05 AM

Would prefer San Diego over Sedona in February, for sure.
Old Dec 3rd, 2011, 10:58 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Okay, I'll take more time with my answer.

LaCosta was okay. We were really excited about going because we'd heard of it for a long time. Most of us were disappointed. The services were fine but we weren't "wow'd" by the hotel, grounds or food. The room was very nice - but nothing particularly special. We sat out by the pool some - but this was in April and it wasn't really warm. Maybe that's because I'm coming from the south but it wasn't really pool weather. We went on a spa/golf trip every spring (if you qualified for the reward trip) and LaCosta was not our favorite. It's probably the least favorite out of about 10 that we went on.

I loved the trip to Coronado Island and I love San Diego. That location really didn't have a great spa (Marriott on Coronado) but it was nice to be in San Diego. I don't know about the spa at the Del, but I'd prefer another SD location that LaCosta. The best part of the LaCosta trip was renting a car and driving the coast. I expected to REALLY like LaCosta. I didn't.

We also went to resorts in either AZ or FL in July each year because the rates were really cheap in the summer and I've enjoyed spas in Phoenix/Scottsdale. These weren't spa trips, but I always went early - to tag on a SW trip and a spa day. There are some great options in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area - but that's also the most expensive time to be there. People are escaping the cold and snow of the northern states and the rates reflect that.

Maybe the locals can correct me, but I just don't see myself sitting out by the pool at LaCosta in Feb. From my memory, we were up high, it was windy and even in April we were pushing it to get in the outdoor pool in April. I remember waiting for a shuttle/luggage golf cart and we were shivering.

Personally, I would LOVE to take advantage of the indoor pool with fireplace at Enchantment and I would also love to hike around the area when it's not scorching hot (as in summer).

Here's San Diego weather - for Feb when the OP is planning to go and in April when we were there -
February 66/50 1.43" 66% 72%
April 68/55 0.78" 67% 72%
high/low - rainfall - humidity - sunshine

I don't see that big of a difference between Feb and April - and it was warmer at home than it was at LaCosta in April

Here's Sedona for Feb -
February 59 32 1.5” 73%
high low rainfall sunshine

The nights in Sedona are much colder and the days are a little colder. I would probably opt out of the outdoor pool at either in Feb, unless it was REALLY heated.

So for me, LaCosta - meh
Enchantment - wow!

But that's just one person's opinion.
The best spa getaway was at the Four Seasons on the Big Island

http://www.enchantmentresort.com/sedona-spa-miiamo/
http://www.miiamo.com/destination-resort-photos/

Sources -
http://www.sandiego.org/nav/Visitors...mation/Weather
http://www.dreamsedona.com/weather.html
Old Dec 3rd, 2011, 08:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Look for recent reviews. La Costa just completed a $50 million renovation project.