LA area restaurant for great lunch

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for a standout lunch in LA. Prefer something on the way to Valencia from LAX, but if it is great and not exactly on the way...then that's OK. Foodie approved, preferably not sushi focused, for two work friends who need to catch up before a two day meeting.
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 06:40 PM

The Restaurant at the Getty Center
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 07:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What day of the week?

I would go somewhere in Culver City. It's not too far off the 405 and easy to reach (Culver Blvd. exit), and there are several options within a fairly small area. Parking is pretty easy.

Look at Akasha, Ford's, Fraiche, Waterloo & City, but there are also some more casual options.

http://www.gayot.com/restaurants/cul...ty-ca_2la.html

If you want something more trendy and 'impressive,' look at Tavern Restaurant in Brentwood. FYI, there is on-going construction in the area of the 405 where you would exit (Wilshire Boulevard). Watch the signs (some temporary) carefully. Don't worry, the traffic will be slow.

http://www.tavernla.com/index.html
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 08:07 PM

We liked Ugo in Culver City.

For a 'standout' lunch, I would go to Coast restaurant at the Shutters hotel in Santa Monica. It has an oceanside patio which is covered, and heated as needed. Great food and service, not overly expensive.
Old Jun 16th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

It is for a Tuesday lunch....thanks for the suggestions.

A friend recommended Gladstones in Pacific Palisades...any thoughts on how out of the way that would be. Menu looks good and location looks great, but it may be a haul....
Old Jun 16th, 2012, 09:33 AM

Personally I wouldn't linger in the city if you're heading to Valencia. Don't put yourself into the 4pm traffic parking lot, especially by winding way out to Malibu. What time do you plan on eating?
Old Jun 16th, 2012, 09:46 AM

Gladstones is NOT FOR FOODIES. I can't emphasize this enough.

There are some excellent restaurants downtown these days, and most have a parking validation.

I like Rivera a lot although it can be a little loud (hard surfaces) it is not as bad as some

http://www.riverarestaurant.com/
Old Jun 16th, 2012, 10:44 AM

I agree Gladstones is a great location, with mediocre food.
Old Jun 16th, 2012, 11:12 AM

Rivera is great, but that's in downtown L.A. There's no way I'd head into downtown L.A. just for lunch, esp. if I needed to end up in Valencia. Just too much traffic to deal with.

I mentioned Culver City because it's a short distance off the 405, there will be manageable traffic and parking is pretty easy. Tavern is also not far off the freeway and will probably have valet parking even for lunch. The Getty is a good idea too, except that the tram up and down the hill will eat up some time. If you could get to Shutters by 11/11:30, I'd say it would work.

You want to be on the way to Valencia by 2:00 (if from Shutters, Culver City) or 2:30 (if from Tavern) unless you like traffic.
Old Jun 16th, 2012, 11:18 AM

If you wanted to get a head-start on the traffic, you could head immediately to Sherman Oaks which is just over the hill in the San Fernando Valley.

Exit the 405 at Ventura Boulevard, go east (right) for a couple of miles. Cafe Bizou is on the right side after Hazeltine.

http://cafebizou.com/home_so.php

Actually, depending on when you arrive at LAX, that's what I would probably do.
Old Jun 16th, 2012, 11:46 AM

Another option if you want to head into the Sepulveda Pass from LAX is Zeidler's Cafe at the Skirball Center. The food is good, you won't have to pay for parking, and it's quiet enough for conversation. The museum charges admission, but you won't need to pay it to eat at the Cafe. Also really good gift shop.

http://www.skirball.org/images/stori...dlers_Menu.pdf
Old Jun 16th, 2012, 11:49 AM

My husband and I both got sick from eating at Gladstones; and we each ate something different.
Old Jun 16th, 2012, 03:42 PM

Yuck-- thanks for the heads' up, orange!
Old Jun 16th, 2012, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Say no more, Gladstone's is OUT. I totally realize what a parking lot the freeways can be if you don't get out soon enough. Thanks for the suggestions and send more if you think of them! Will check out the current suggestions.