Reload this Page >

LA & San Diego HELP!!

Search

LA & San Diego HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 09:39 AM
Darius

LA & San Diego HELP!!

My wife and I are going out to LA and San Diego in October...we are planning to stay two nights in San Diego and then travel up to LA for 5 more nights....Right now we are thinking of staying at the Beverly Garland Holiday INN near Universal. Is this a nice place? If not, any suggestions? Our thought for San Diego is the Marriott Coronado Beach Resort? Nice place? Too far away from everything? Someone Please Advise...

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 09:58 AM
michele

Darius,
The Beverly Garland is a lovely spot.The hotel itself is well managed, attractive, and has a good-sized pool. You have terrifc freeway access and Studio City itself has plenty of good restaurants. You made a wise pick.
The Coronado is gorgeous and may be a little bit out of the way, but more than makes up for it by its sense of time and place. An elegant spot.

Michele
Michele

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 10:42 AM
Darius

Thanks,

When you said the Coronado..did you mean the Marriott Resort or another hotel...We were very conflicted about the LA choice..so thanks for the few words about the Garland....we were also considering the Hyatt West Hollywood and Santa Monica..but Santa Monica is SO Expensive...

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 11:01 AM
Gary

Darius:

Michele erred. The Marriott on Coronado is not the famous Hotel Del Coronado, which I think Michele is discussing. I've seen the Marriott--it looks nice and it gets great reviews (see Fodor's). Coronado is beautiful. As for it being "too far from everything": traffic can get clogged with tourists on the island, and one has to cross the bridge to visit the San Diego sights, but in distance it isn't far at all. Everything to see in San Diego is relatively close together.

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 11:09 AM
Paul

The Marriott on Coronado is a very nice hotel. Coronado is close to many of the San Diego attractions and just a short ride over the bridge. You can also take the ferry from Coronado to downtown (10-15 minute ride) which is a nice alternative to driving when you visit the Gas Lamp area, Seaport Village and other downtown sights. The Marriott is located on bay side of Coronado and not the ocean side. So, if you want to be on the ocean, consider the Hotel Del Coronado.

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 11:36 AM
Darius

Thanks....Any other opinions on LA Hotels? Oh..how about the Embassy Suites by the Bay in San Diego?

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 04:41 AM
SDSam

Staying on Coronado is fine. One little tid bit of information. The Coronado Bridge is a toll bridge that charges for travel from San Diego to Coronado. No charge for other direction. When traveling from San Diego to Coronado, get in the far right lane when passing the toll booth. This is not clearly marked but will save you a toll. There is no toll for the right hand lane. Supposed to be a car pool lane but is not well designated as such.

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 06:16 AM
Darius

We have booked the Coronado Island Marriot Resort for two nights, and the Beverly Garland in North Hollywood for 5 nights....hope we made the right choices, as a hotel can make or break a vacation. Has anyone stayed at the Coronado Marriott? Thanks for the Beverly Garland comments Michele..I feel better about that choice now...