Reload this Page >

L.A - San Fran - Vegas

Search

L.A - San Fran - Vegas

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 05:04 AM
Tony

L.A - San Fran - Vegas

Could any of you kind people out there offer me any advice on Motels, B&B's that i could stay at on my journey up the west coast from L.A to San Francisco. Also which route would you take travelling from San Fran to Vegas, are there multiple routes or is there a few main ones. I come from the U.K and have never visited the West of America before, but can't wait. Any advice would be good.
Thanks. Tony.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 09:42 AM
xxx

when you drive from l.a. to san fran, stick to the pacific coast hyway. it will be slower but is gorgeous. i find a good place to stop for a few nights is monterey. sorry, can't recommend a hotel but do a search. there are very pricey ones close to the ocean or more reasonable if you go a mile or two in. a "chain" motel that i often stay at is called "super 8". they are basic, good price, always clean and usually in a good location.
http://www.monterey.org
try to arrange your trip so that you are staying in vegas between sunday and thursday. rates are MUCH cheaper then on the weekends.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Wendy

Tony,
There's a lot to see between LA, SF and Vegas. Between LA and SF, you'll either take the coastal route (Hwy 1, aka Pacific Coast Highway) or Interstate 5 freeway. The first will take about 10 hours, the second only 6. But, the tradeoffs is that Hwy 1 is gorgeous and you'll wind through Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, Monterey, Cambria, and other beautiful coastal towns. The 5 freeway is a straight path and takes you through the Central Valley. Lots of farms and cows, but very little else.

I'd suggest going along the coast and making a pit stop where you feel like it, but definitely do check out Cambria and Monterey. Both are gorgeous locations, and Cambria is about 20 mins from Hearst Castle (in San Simeon), which is a must-do. There are scores of motels along the road, especially along Moonstone Beach in Cambria. There are a lot of posts on this board about coastal trips with good recs.

Not sure if there's a good route from SF to Vegas. It's really far. You might want to consider doing a roundtrip ride between LA and Vegas before heading up the coast? If you do that, there's only one route (Interstate 15) which takes you through the desert and will take 4-5 hours. Definitely stay in Vegas on a weekday for better deals.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 10:11 PM
L

go to the hoover damb, hard hat tour, $25 get to keep hard hat, while in Vegas. It is a nice get away from lights and bells.

Choose a hotel in Pacific Grove on the Monterey Penninsula. It borders Monterey. Good hotels are Asilomar State Beach, Olypia Lodge. Both good locations. Quiet. Walking trails. Go to Monterey Bay Aquarium in Monterey. Many bed and Breakfast in Pacific Grove. Call the Chamber of Commerce. Welcome to my town.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 01:32 AM
Tony

Thanks for all your responses.

Best wishes.
Tony

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 06:20 AM
CaliforniaBorn

Tony,
You've received good advice so far. There's certainly lots to see and do here in The Golden State.
Perhaps you will find the official tourism guide website below useful:

http://www.visitcalifornia.com/state/tourism/tour_homepage.jsp

Also highly recommend you drive Highway #1 (AKA/AlsoKnownAs) Pacific Coast Highway.
Yes, it will take you several hours longer but the coastal route (dips inland in several spots) is so much better than the previously mentioned Highway 5. Highway 5 was basically built for our big 18-wheel trucks, without which nothing would move throughout the State. Yes, we folks use it when we need to drive those long distances and get there in a hurry. But there are no nice sights, really, to see.

If you'd give people here just a hint on your budget per night, perhaps you'll get more specific suggestions. You can spend from $50 to $250 per night depending.
You don't indicate the length of your trip; but if you have time, you might very well enjoy taking a tour of Hearst Castle in San Simeon. Reservations are almost always a must and it has its own website. Use the www.google.com Search Engine and just type Hearst Castle in the blank box to get to it.
But, then again, you may have seen all the 'castles' you ever want to -- big smile from me to you.

Enjoy your visit to California!

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 07:54 AM
John

Hi Tony,

Good advice to stick to the coast between L.A. and S.F.

What other folks left out. . .

In the U.S. finding B&B's is much more difficult than in the UK. The U.S. has a lot of 'chain hotels' of a variety of classes/prices. Typically the low and low/middle end do not offer breakfast, but have a breakfast restaurant very near. Suggest you do research on hotels to familiarize yourself with the variety.

As an alternative to driving to Las Vegas (from L.A. or S.F.) you may want to consider flying. The drive from L.A. is about 6 hours with lots of desert between (pretty but only for those with lots of time on their hands). The drive from S.F. is 9 hours or more with very little to see/do.

As they say: Americans think 100 years is a long time, and Europeans think 100 miles is a long way. If you think 100 miles is a long way, note that L.A. to S.F. is about 450 and S.F. to Vegas is about 600. That is a lot of drive time.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 08:07 AM
Tony

Thanks
Indeed it is a lot of drive time.
I may consider L.A to Vegas back to L.A to SF. I have plenty of time for this part of my trip, and would be looking for accomodation in the mid-range.
I shall not travel alone mind you though so i will have some company for the long journeys.