Search

L.A. beach help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2005, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
L.A. beach help

Will be staying in Santa Monica - can anyone recommend a nice beach in Malibu - or is it better to go to Manhatten or Hermosa Beach?
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 10:54 AM

What activities and what do you consider a nice beach? If you want quiet and scenery, head north, for rollerblading and people watching, head south. Santa Monica beach may suffice, or Venice Beach, depending on what you want. With Venice Beach, if you get right close to the Marina jetty it is quiet (Parking near the jetty).
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 01:58 PM

From Santa Monica, the drive to Manhatten
Beach/Hermosa Beach is longer and traffic/parking will be an issue, particularly on week-ends. Both are more hard core surfer
oriented and can have more of a singles
scene/noise, although the beach volleyball set may like the scene. While there is also traffic getting from Santa Monica to Malibu, if one leaves by 11:00 a.m. the drive is easy. The cleanest/most expansive beach is Zuma Beach. Water usually rated A or better.
Beaches in downtown Malibu are often
polluted, parking is difficult, and not recommended. The drive to Zuma (north end of Malibu toward Ventura county line) is very nice, and lots a nice places to stop for lunch/dinner. Geoffrey's is excellent (a bit upscale and not inexpensive but nice week-end brunches), Paradise Cove Beach Cafe (both near Zuma) and a roadside stand with seafood (a few outside tables) near Coral Canyon (landside) that is fun. Alternatively,
on the way back to Santa Monica from Malibu, there is Moonshadows (just south of
Las Flores Canyon) - a great deck overlooking the water and quite a scene on
week-ends. Hope this helps.
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice - how long would you say the drive is from SM to Zuma Beach? Are there also places to eat there? Thanks
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 03:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry, but I find Boonie's descriptions of Manhattan/Hermosa Beaches to be ridiculous. Hard-core surfer oriented? Yes, there is surfing, but the surfers are out-numbered hundreds-to-one by swimmers and kids playing at the water line. More of a singles/noise scene? Definitely not in daylight hours.

Zuma? Really crowded. Often has rip currents. No restaurants within walking distance. Driving time is probably no better than Santa Monica to Manhattan.
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 05:09 PM

The driving time at the time I indicated would
be no more than 45 minutes to an hour tops.
The places I mentioned to eat are clearly described in my previous post as on the way to/from Zuma, and not at the beach itself. Many beachgoers prefer to stop for a meal either prior to/after the beach day. I do not believe rip tides are any worse there than the other locations, as evidenced by the numerous families enjoying the day there. Lifeguards are plentiful and watchful. I still believe that Manhatten/Hermosa are more congested. I was actually in Manhatten Beach on a weekday evening recently to meet an old friend, and found it very crowded/noisy. Of course, the area has its true believers. I just prefer going north up the coast from Santa Monica, which gets less crowded the closer one gets to the Ventura County line. As they say in French,
chacun a son gout.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 05:34 PM

Zuma is great but famous for rip-tides! It really depends on what you want. Hermosa and Manhattan definately have a more singles scene--lots of restaurants and bars--of course evening is livelier!

Malibu is more "day at the beach". Pack a picnic.